[Palmyra PA] 2 quick stops

Stopped off in Palmyra & Hershey PA area on summer travel from/to NJ and OH … Looking for a nice casual dinner, we enjoyed eating at Funck’s Restaurant in Palmyra since our B&B was just a short distance away … comfortable bar+bistro offerings very reasonably priced, good food and friendly efficient service. And especially "foodie-noteworthy” when in the area is Seltzer’s Lebanon Bologna Smokehouse nearby ---- they have a new 'factory store ’ outlet/museum very nearby with a great assortment of their products as well as some other local items. IMHO, it’s ”good stuff” sold in stores in a few locales but not always widely available… still made the original way and one or two new variations. Hope this post is of interest and value to those with similar needs and tastes to ours when coming over on US422.

5 Likes

Forgot to mention a +1 for old favorite Hershey Pantry down the road a bit towards town and the big attractions. Always stop there; wife enjoyed the afternoon tea offering; numerous first-rate pastries appealingly brought to table on a multi-level serving tray arrangement, good value, ample portions , and remainder of our lunch food was also excellent. Although busy as typical for a summer day, service was excellent and our wait a short one. Glad they don’t try to “fix what ain’t broke” ----- it is always a favorite of ours.

3 Likes

I grew up and now live part-time in the area and adore Seltzer’s Lebanon bologna. Part of my standard grocery shop every week. I miss it dearly when I’m away from Pa!

1 Like

Philadelphia here - love lebanon bologna!

1 Like

wondering, do you recommend any local or other specialties that Funck’s serves? Every so often we luck into something in this area that has a regional, homemade flavor like say the chicken corn soup with chopped eggs at Esthers restaurant up by 78 or the dishes we used to enjoy at Haags further east.

I haven’t had Lebanon bologna in years! I had it often as a young child 60-odd years ago growing up in Birmingham, AL – on rye with mustard and dil pickle.

3 Likes

Or rye with mustard and a few chips!

1 Like

gaffk, Chios on the sandwich or on the side?

1 Like

Both of course :wink:

I assume they would be Gibble’s Homestyle Chips? :pig2:

If I recall, they were mostly Wise. Today it would probably be Utz (haven’t seen Wise in a while).

Now I want that sandwich.

ETA: Perhaps with a Frank’s Black Cherry Wishniak to chase it down and a chocolate Tastykake for dessert.

3 Likes

We always had a love for the PA Dutch Style, fried in Lard!

2 Likes

The gibbles cooked in lard? Yum. I think times have changed. You used to be able to buy large barrels of Pa chips in grocery stores, we loved this when we camped there.

That’s the ones!
s-l400

I remember my neighbors used to get these delivered (!), but we were apparently deprived of such luxury ;(

1 Like

I can buy freshly-cooked chips at farmers market here in York still; they scoop them and bag them when you order :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Appropos this topic, here is a timely link to a very pertinent and relevant event ---- Super-sized (!) Lebanon Bologna sandwich in the news :grinning:

1 Like

Wow!

“mayonnaise, mustard and Dieffenbach’s chips for those who prefer their bologna sandwich with smashed chips on top.”

The mayo is a crime against Lebanon. But at least they got the need to smush chips on the sandwich.

I stopped for a loaf of rye this evening and couldn’t help make a deli run for some Seltzer’s lebanon and Utz chips. Already looking forward to lunch tomorrow :yum:

1 Like

So as I type this I’m enjoying my lebanon bologna on rye with French’s yellow mustard and Utz chips. Turns out it’s Kunzler brand (I could have sworn I asked for Seltzer’s) which is a bit less pungent than I recall. But it’s still good. Now I just need a half frozen can of some juicy stuff mom wrapped in foil to keep cold and directions to the student field trip caf at the Franklin Institute and I’d be 10 again :slight_smile:

3 Likes