[Palmyra PA] 2 quick stops

Glad to see it benefited a good charitable cause in the community too. Win-win! Nice event. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, Kunzler is definitely milder and the texture is also different - softer.

Agreed, I believe Seltzer’s is the brand of my childhood. But I made a sandwich for mom (soon to be 95) this afternoon and she ate the whole thing, chips and birch beer included, and declared it the best sandwich she had in years. I guess nothing tastes better than nostalgia!

ETA: This from a woman who has eaten in some pretty nice places in North America and Europe :wink:

5 Likes

Kunzler is better than no Lebanon bologna, true.

I have on more than one occasion returned a packet to the deli counter when they gave me Kunzler by mistake, however. Just my personal preference.

1 Like

I didn’t even notice until I took it out of the fridge this afternoon. But it was still good.

Is that the main indoor market in York? Planning a bike trip through there in October and I detour for fried potatoes!

There are multiple indoor farmer’s markets in York. The one I was referencing was New Eastern Market which is by far the largest and most farmers-market-y (vs a food hall with basically restaurant stands and/or craft stands.)

I’m also an avid biker; are you referring to riding the Rail Trail through York?

2 Likes

The Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail from Cockeysville MD to York is what we’re going to do, with an extension out and back from York on Day 2, then back to Cockeysville and home on Day 3. I think the name changes once you get into PA to the Heritage Rail Trail. I’m not the trip planner so not clear yet on what we are doing out of York. Any suggestions? We are gravel/hybrid riders who prefer rail trails or at least dedicated bike trails rather that surface streets.

Yes, in York that’s the (Heritage) Rail Trail. I ride it every week myself :wink: I have ridden it south into Maryland a couple of times. The surface, scenery and upkeep in PA are all better, and it’s less crowded in PA as well.

There’s a portion of the Trail that goes right through the old part of downtown York (you are literally riding on the street for just a small bit of time) and that portion does pass close by to the old farmer’s markets in downtown York (they are in historic wooden buildings and have been there a long time, etc.) Unfortunately neither of these markets (Penn Market nor Central Market) are worth a detour. Central Market is far bigger and has more offerings than Penn, so hopefully if you MUST go to one of them, it’s Central. If you find out your tour is taking you to either of them, let me know and I’ll make some recos. I’ll also check if there are fresh chips at Central anymore; there were in the 70s/80s but I don’t know about now. In general, though: Don’t get too excited, the prepared food/restaurant scene in York is practically non-existent. Not like the nearby tourist hubs of Lancaster or Gettysburg, where there’s the possibility of elevated “traditional” (PA Dutch, for instance) food and/or an actual restaurant scene with interesting options. York doesn’t have anything like that.

There’s a Facebook group for the whole PA/MD trail and folks frequently chat about food options there. You should join it and lurk/ask questions. I’ll go get the link for you and edit this post.

The farmer’s markets and downtown York aside, the food options along the actual Trail in PA are pretty sparse. The only places I can recommend:

• Seven (“7”) Sports Bar and Grill in New Freedom is a typical sports bar (fried food, burgers, etc) but they make one thing that’s worth stopping for (and plenty of Trail riders do stop here and eat): their crab soups are excellent. They do both a Maryland style and a cream style, and they offer a bowl with both swirled together, and I love it. I eat it even in the summer, but it’s great all year round.

• There’s a new food truck/type stand offering pulled pork sandwiches and shaved ice somewhere just north of New Freedom (I think) that’s good. I don’t know if it has a name; I’ll try and find it for you.

New Freedom and Glen Rock are the southern Pennsylvania towns that the Trail goes right through, so you are likely to be eating either at one of them or in downtown York.

Feel free to DM me if you want to chat more about riding the trail :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thx, looking forward to checking out options, particularly food related. I’ve done the Cockeysville to New Freedom leg but not ridden further into PA. Had a good falafel right along the trail and ate it while watching the train roll into town, IIRC.

Ah, when was this?

Before COVID so its been a while

The idea of acquiring felafel in southern York county is blowing my mind.

Honestly, it has been a few years but it was a sandwich/coffee place in the same building where the train office was. Don’t see it in google maps now however…

There’s no passenger railroad in York (I believe the final Amtrak run was 1971), but there’s a renovated olde-tyme steam train now that runs out of New Freedom. Only been there a couple years though. They do really short rides, mostly for kids, but I bought a ticket for one last summer where they had an open car for bicycles, you put your bike on, rode the train for like 45 min, then disembarked and rode back on your bike. It was fun.

2 Likes

Yes the steam train is the one I was thinking of.

1 Like

It’s only been about 4 months . . .but this morning I got the Seltzers lebanon and a nice hearty seeded rye. Currently enjoying the sandwich (with French’s mustard and Utz chips of course). :yum:

5 Likes