[Palm Springs] [Palm Desert] recommendations

Which restaurants and coffee shops would you recommend? My friend is staying in Palm Desert for 3 weeks.

I found this thread on Sherman’s Deli, or Manhattan in the Desert? [Palm Springs]

1 Like

Might want to inquire over on FoodTalkCentral, too, as that’s SoCal oriented.

1 Like

Okay, thanks!!

1 Like

French Rotisserie Cafe, rotisserie chicken is out of this world good (as well as it should be given its name)

Varraco premium roasted Filipino coffee, not something you see or taste everyday, worth a stop for sure.

1 Like

Thank you! My friend doesn’t eat red meat, so I bet that chicken place will be up her alley!

I will check out that Filipino coffee shop next time I visit, whenever that happens to be! :heart:

If you’re ever out further east in Coachella make sure to try Vintage Coffeehouse as well as Unique Bite, which makes a great shrimp burrito and if you bring me their “22 Bites” burger you can even crash at my place. :rofl:

1 Like

Omg, I want a shrimp burrito. I might take you up on that offer.:joy:

lots of date shakes to be had if your friend has a sweet tooth. it’s a thing out there. i don’t say no.

2 Likes

I meant to try one on another trip but didn’t get around to it.

goes well with a chocolate shake lol

1 Like

Date shakes

https://shieldsdategarden.com/

1 Like

Ruling out red meat rules out the strengths of both Sherman’s and Mr. Lyon’s, though non-red meat preferences might be accommodated, so the experience of venerable names is still possible. We’re really not foodies; we’re old school in the sense that food is a primary marker of [especially “indigenous”] culture.

1 Like

I’m in the area for a few days vacation. I tried Varraco coffee this morning, the drip was full bodied and smooth. Pandan babingka was sweet and moist, might have been a little better texturally if it had been warmed up, or made this morning rather than a day or 2 ago in LA.

Messy but good hard shell tacos at La Bonita’s in Palm Springs for lunch. Good salsa and pleasantly thick tortilla chips.

Spicy Thai noodles form Le Basil in Palm Desert for dinner. Good, not too sweet (as much Thai food can be to me)

Restaurant updates here, including a link to some noticed by Michelin:

2 Likes

No need to rule red meat out completely. My friend is with her red meat -eating husband and BIL. It’s just nice that she will have some good poultry options!

Thanks!

Enjoy your stay :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We like the bagels at Townie Bagels.
Sherman’s Deli is still great and plenty of good non red meat options.

1 Like

Their lines are quite daunting.

2 Likes

We generally go early ~8am so haven’t had to brave many lines.

1 Like

[IW] Coffee & Chai is another worthy independent in a sea of Starbucks. Good coffee plus a few pastries and bagels.

I just finished dinner at India Oven in Cathedral City. Decor isn’t much, but the food was really good. I had the non-veg platter - tandoori chicken, spicy lamb curry, dal, raita, samosa, naan, papadum, indian pickle, rice, potato curry, and a gulab jamun for dessert. Much more than I could eat for $25 with tax.

1 Like

That sounds like a lot of bang for the buck!