Overseas Shipping

Overseas shipping is becoming more of a mishmash than ever. Sometimes an item coming from France takes a few weeks, pushing a full month. Somehow Dehillerin is able to deliver in under a week. Sometimes the cost of shipping makes an item prohibitively expensive, almost the cost of the item, but I just bought a French frying pan that came with free shipping. The tracking function for things originating in France is often close to worthless, especially if there is a handoff between shippers.

2 Likes

I recently had a good experience with a medical supply place in Canada (not technically overseas I guess, but over some lakes), and a bad experience with a clothing, home goods place in China.

1 Like

It seems to take a very long time to get out of Hong Kong, longer than from the rest of China. Hmmmm.

1 Like

Very unusual for overseas shipping to be free ā€“ what was the site?

Some of the products can only be bought from oversea. Sometime the cost become prohibitively expensive, but sometime it is cheaper than buying it in USA. I bought this steamer, and it would have cost me twice as much if I buy this in USA.

Frenchcoppercookware on eBay. I got a 24cm frying pan with iron handle and 2mm thickness. The tin is new. $150 with free shipping sounded like a good deal.

1 Like

there are multiple ā€œscenariosā€ in the ā€œfrom overseasā€ shipping . . .

every package (except via postal services) send to the US requires a broker, who does the paperwork for US Customs to ā€œclearā€ the package, which then gets lost in US Customs examinations/clearance.
UPS, Fedex, DHL, etc etc - are all subject to these issues.
thence the ā€œbig packageā€ goes to a domestic ā€œagentā€ who opens,breaks down and reships/remails the items from the US to the US . . .
this avenue entails a lot of ā€œwasted timeā€

because sending lots of small packages via postal services is horrendously more expensive . . .
many ā€œimportersā€ - especially the Chinese sources - take orders, wait to bundle them into one big ā€œCustoms packageā€ - to spread the cost of import brokers/fees/etc over larger orders.

it take for flipping ever for all that to happen.

most ā€œpopularā€ companies import big batches of ā€œstuffā€ to an agent - in or out of a Foreign Trade Zone - and altho they may mislead the buyer into thinking it is coming from ā€œoverseasā€ - it isnā€™t.
Darto is one such supplier - they offer ā€˜free shippingā€™ - and they are honest&upfront about it - they ā€œimportā€ tons of product en masse, and ship from a USA destination.

had an offer to become a Bourgeat source - same deal - tons of pots shipped en masse to me, I advertise/sell from a domestic location . . .

the government will have its cut - by agent or by USPS rates.

On the other hand, isnā€™t there a like import tax once the shipment is above ~$800? Or is that only per customer, not per shipment, so I can have over $800 in a shipment as long as each customer products are below $800?

thereā€™s like several thousand pages of duties thingies - this is not a simple topic . . .

for a consolidated package/parcel, there is no recognition of ā€˜customer ordersā€™
itā€™s ā€œhereā€™s a box/pallet/skid/containerā€ with $$ dollars of goods in it, and hereā€™s the breakdown of those items by import class . . .

I have a return that has been stuck in customs/Hangzhou in China since April 15th. I was a sucker and finally took the bait of these fetching PJā€™s that danced across every screen after I looked at the website. They offered $5, then$10 to not return them, after threatening me with how much it would cost and how long it would take, but at that point, I wasnā€™t having it. And to add insult to injury, I also got ā€œphishedā€, or whatever itā€™s called now when you click on a text saying your package is being held.

:confounded:

So sorry.

1 Like

Customs warehouses are totally legit solutions and they exist literally all over the world.

Goods are shipped to a warehouse (usually close to a port and/or airport) and held until they are sold. The taxes are then calculated on the individual orders.

I worked for a couple of companies that had themā€¦its to make logistics faster and easier for the customer, and eases the financial burden on the seller (but not by a huge amountā€¦the warehouses arent cheap)

Its also far easier to ship 6 pallets or a full container of something than it is to ship 300 small shipments of those goods.

Come to think of it I have had some bad experience with a eBay seller from China.

1 Like