Overnight in "Downtown Napa"

We usually head up valley for dinner, but this weekend stayed “downtown”, hiding out from son’s 30th birthday shin-dig.
We stayed at Napa River In. The original building seen in the background was apparently established in 1884!

When did all this happen?

I remember when they built up the riverfront. Looks like it’s been 20 years.
One version.

I remember the floods!!

I 've had my eye on ZuZu for awhile. Looks like it’s been there for 20 years as well.

It was empty at noon but the area became increasingly busy, and by late evening, there was much raucous laughter from many busy restaurants. Raucous laughter!

We enjoyed tapas there, including garlic soup, gambas, tortilla Espanola, and pork cheeks. No pictures.

Later we had dinner at Cole’s Chophouse where they convinced husband to try his steak medium rather than medium well. You go waitstaff!

I had boneless rib eye.

All was enjoyed.

Also, there was a lot more diversity than i usually notice uptown. Like a lot.

11 Likes

We adore Cole’s potatoes au gratin - they make it the classic way, and weight it down as it should be. Absolutely luscious…worth the calories!

Thx for posting your trip. Sounds like you had a great time.

Have you ever tried Napa Valley Bistro? A little NW of where you were, it’s a restaurant a lot of locals love. Excellent food and outstanding service. We usually visit each time we make a Napa trip.

We always order a dozen of Model Bakery’s amazing focaccia-based English Muffins from their shop at Oxbow for pick-up on our last day, to bring home. They freeze beautifully and make the world best cheese toasties, LOL.

6 Likes

And if you’re a bean person, next time you go don’t forget to visit Rancho Gordo on Yajome Street!

5 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes