Oven vs. stovetop

I’m pretty sure there is a way to “bake” on the stovetop using a Dutch oven. Also the OP didn’t rule out having an outdoor grill :wink:

3 Likes

Like @meatn3, this is a very tough one. But I’d probably go with stovetop burners. I can make varied complete meals on the burners, but can’t always do so in the oven.

4 Likes

I have to be practical and say stovetop, since I use that 80-90% of the time vs the oven. In our modern world of conveniences, at least we have the Instapot, rice-cookers, and other things that allow you to do faux-baking and faux-roasting. I’ve never tried using them for those functions, so I don’t know how good they are at approximating that oven baked/roasted taste.

Side bar – one of my sisters living in HK for over a decade and her tiny condo did not have an oven. She had a countertop toaster oven like thing, but I don’t know how she lived for that long without properly roasting something.

3 Likes

I never use my real oven. Toaster oven - all the time. Is that cheating?

5 Likes

I have a cousin who has lived in Japan since the early '80s. He eventually imported a small slide-in oven for his home. This was prior to western style baked goods becoming popular in Japan. Now breads, rolls, etc. can be purchsed fairly easily. He feels if he had held out a few more years he could have skipped the oven! (He is vegetarian so wanting to cook a roast is of no interest.)

1 Like

What egg preparations do you make in the oven? I use it for quiche, finishing off a frittata and custardy things. I tend to use the stove more frequently for eggs - scrambled, fried, soft and hard-boiled, poached, omelet, egg foo yung.

1 Like

I poach eggs in a muffin tin. I scramble in a copper pan. Make egg bakes in all sizes. Def party friendly but I do this for two also.

2 Likes

The beloved bacon is also baked on a racked oven tray, one full pkg at a time.

3 Likes

I do bacon in the oven too. Less cleanup and it cooks perfectly to the crispy state I prefer!

4 Likes

Are you off the road and home again?!

1 Like

If you mean me, yes until July then I drive for 5 music fests.

3 Likes

Enjoy! Looking forward to your cooking adventures!

1 Like

Thxs!

:blush:

Me too, but if I had to live without an oven, I can live with the splatter of stove top cooking for bacon. It’s worth it… :laughing:

2 Likes

You can bake on a stove. Omnia oven, Dutch oven, double boiler - many options.

2 Likes

For me stove top. It’s currently where the majority of my meals are cooked

2 Likes

Well, to be honest, in real life situation stove wins. I don’t use oven a lot these last few weeks, and stove doesn’t need pre heating…

3 Likes

Think Tangine. Many sizes. Baking, roasting all possible. Most are terra cotta, some now come with steel base and terra cotta dome/chimney.

https://www.lecreuset.com/moroccan-tagine-flame-4-3-4-qt?gdffi=407847dbe79d4debba15d423916af8a0&gdfms=426A902074C24533846C17280CA81B0B&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9IS8loXC4gIVsSCtBh04hwYpEAQYASABEgLjAfD_BwE

2 Likes

On the one hand, a dutch oven can act as you’re alternative oven on stovetop for braising and even roasting. All except maybe baking bread but I’ve never tried. Second of all fried eggs are my life. Then sauces and caramel are things ovens can’t do.

But then you have baking (quiches, tarts, pies, cakes, etc.), impossible stovetop. You can roast/braise and cook bacon in an oven. I wonder if you heat a cast iron hot enough, you can take it out and fry eggs on it.

Hard. I’ll go with stovetop, but only gas.

1 Like