Out of favor flavors?

Pretty minor difference IMHO

1 Like

Oh, I’ve gone from 0 to 100 on cilantro. I so want to like caraway, but things have not changed, and I’m 54. I grew up in a Polish neighborhood that uses it extensively, to get a carawayless Polish rye was my crowning feat. But, yeah, my tastes have definitely changed, just not enough to gullet caraway.

4 Likes

I’m still diggin’ Aldi’s Burman’s mayo.

Cilantro turned around for me, too. I hated it as a teenager, when I first tried Thai food, then when it was used in a seafood cocktail in Mexico when I was 18. I liked it by the time I was 24. Now, I love cilantro.

I still hate grapefruit, but can tolerate Ting, a Jamaican soda made with grapefruit.

2 Likes

Same. Hated both cilantro and hot food when I was in Thailand with my ex in the late 90s. Love both now. Caraway only in very limited amounts and context - namely with pastrami or Reuben sammiches.

Fuck that stuff in my sauerkraut or on top of bread with otherwise delicious seeds like poppy or sesame.

3 Likes

Ditto on growing up with MW. When I moved into my stepfather’s house, they only had Hellman’s, which I grew to like. Now, it’s usually Hellman’s, but I’ll also buy Cain’s. I’ve only purchased Dukes online - it’s very good, but harder to come by.

1 Like

I hate to admit it, but the main reason I have bought Miracle Whip is that it lasts darned near forever in the fridge. I have made sandwiches with MW so old that if it had been mayo I probably would have died a very painful death.
Or so I thought at the time.

1 Like

We always had both in the refrigerator.
My mom insisted on MW for certain dishes none of which I can remember now.
Also had a sandwich spread that was a cousin of MW, like French dressing with pickle relish in it, not in a tube like Oscar Meyer.
I was not a fan.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Duke’s showed up here in Philadelphia sometime during the pandemic and hasn’t left. It does appear to be the only mayo without any added sugar, which I like. Although I do like Sir Kensington

6 Likes

Duke’s passes my taste test but not my texture test. Too slick and slimy. I like the “clabbery-ness” of BF.

1 Like

I hope Miracle Whip never goes out of favor.

I love that stuff.

In my hierarchy of white goopy spreads:

1. Tzatziki

2. Kewpie

3. Tartar sauce

4. Miracle Whip

5. Mayo

1. Ranch
2 Likes

I hate to say it, but there is no Ranch dressing in Casa Meekah. We had miracle Whip in the fridge growing up, and mayonnaise. Whatever was there, I ate. I didn’t realize the difference until I started grocery shopping for myself. I now keep Duke’s. Bought some Kewpie a while ago; wasn’t crazy about it. Never tried Sir Kensington’s, though I’ve seen it. I love tartar sauce.

Grew up w/ Hellman’s. Now in CA it’s Best Foods (in theory, there’s a difference, but you couldn’t spot it unless you were specifically taste-testing, I’d wager). I’ve never gotten to try Duke’s, though I’d like to.

If I’m feeling really fancy I’ll do my own using the Kenji immersion-blender trick, but it goes bad SO quickly…

Kewpie is absolutely the best choice for certain applications (sushi rolls. sauce for kara-age. Really good on hot dogs.)

Miracle Whip… I don’t want to yuck anyone’s yum, but… No. There was none growing up, none as a young adult, and definitely none now. Leaves more for you lot, I guess.

4 Likes

The most recent taste-off I could find;

1 Like

Duke’s has a distinct vinegar flavor unlike other mayonnaise. I noticed it right off the bat. First time out.

I’m so disappointed when I bite into a tuna salad or egg salad sandwich made by someone else and it’s been made with Miracle Whip.

7 Likes

Someone mentioned pimiento loaf upthread - I can’t find olive loaf around here, which used to be a once in a while indulgence. It has disappeared from Hannaford and Star. Haven’t checked Market Basket recently.

We used to have Miracle Whip (or at least the lite version because my mom generally tended to buy “diet” versions of things in the 80s). I loved it in elementary school for tuna salad, but haven’t had it in decades.

3 Likes

I used to love a cheddar cheese sandwich on a dark whole grain wheat bread with alfalfa sprouts and…miracle whip. Don’t know why. It was a young adult thing and I haven’t had that spread since.

3 Likes

Now, if anyone can speak to caraway, it’s you. I’ll eat some rye with it ground into it, but the whole seeds just kill me. But you spend considerable time in Germany, where caraway is a common ingredient. I love Polish foods with zeal until those little seeds enter the picture. Damn!

I love a good reuben or pastrami. Then, when I get to the deli I say a little prayer: “please have no caraway rye.”

I couldn’t take heat when I was younger, either. Now I embrace it.

I adore grapefruit, though. Grapefruit sodas are about the only sodas I can drink. I can’t take syrupy colas anymore.

1 Like

Same. I thought MW was a brand name for mayo. Then, as I got older, I tasted mayo. I didn’t miss the tangy zip. I just can’t do ranch. +1 on tartar sauce. I’m Berman’s mayo now. I liked Kewpie, but didn’t see the value for the $.

1 Like