Out of favor flavors?

Cottage cheese has been part of my breakfasts of late. I cut up a bit of avocado, cantaloupe or banana and cover it with cottage cheese. I figure if half the dish is fruit it will not matter as much that cottage cheese has a good bit of sodium. LOL!

3 Likes

I like walnuts in pesto. So, while not ground, they are very well smashed up and a bit emulsified with the oil.

4 Likes

Whatever flavor this is…

1 Like

Baby octopus garden loaf??

7 Likes

I’d take a hard pass on that…aspic?

1 Like

C’thulu?

4 Likes

Little Friskies?

1 Like

Mmm, meat aspic.

1 Like

Oh, my God!
It is served that way?
I thought it was ready to go in the oven!
I followed the link and saw that it is called “Maison Nico’s aspic de fruit de mer printanier” but the question that came to my mind first is, “Why?”
I guess it is what you grow up with, and the only aspic type dish I had growing up was head cheese. My Dad loved it but I do not think I have had it since I was 14. For some reason I thought of the Romans feasting on dormice stuffed with lark tongue.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone was really ready for aspic during its heyday.

3 Likes

Allegedly they used aspic to create the melting head in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

5 Likes

Oddly enough, that is not helping me develop a desire to eat an aspic dish…

4 Likes

There are so many kinds of aspic dishes. Some are good. Most have only one redeeming quality, how smoothly they come back up.

4 Likes

I’ve found hit or miss with menudo. Sublime or shit, it always seems. I don’t chuchaqui much anymore , either, and still like menudo. Used to love it for breakfast, though. Now, I’m on a chilaquiles kick.

1 Like

The parents would say, “Its an aquired taste”. I haven’t gotten there yet.

2 Likes

They’re still so affordable, too. Walnuts are amazing versatile. I can’t name all the things I thrown them into. Perfect nut. Baklava is possibly my favorite pastry. My next one will have pistachios, walnuts (of course) and pecans. My next hurdle. Trying to find a guy I bought honey from years ago. Buckwheat honey. Was amazing.

4 Likes

Is out of favor? I make it all the time. It is the gold standard.

I make my own. And I think it’s even better than not bad!

3 Likes

I agree it is the gold standard, but I have not seen a can in decades. I assume it is either out of production or has no following in Texas.

Buckwheat anything is amazing. Buckwheat pancakes with butter and molasses for me, please!

3 Likes

I’ve never had it canned. I make it from the recipe on their website.

2 Likes