Out of favor flavors?

I still find both at a local deli. Pimento, pickle and olive loaves. When in college, I used to buy the cheapest olive loaf you could imagine. Still, hit the spot.

I still love and make many of the dishes mother made in the 1950s and early 1960s, and many are obviously out of favor, including: Snow’s or Doxsee clam chowder, Anderson’s split pea soup, S & W or Reese’s tomato aspic (great with cottage cheese but easy to make with V-8 and beef broth), currant jelly (I like it way better with roast lamb than mint jelly or mint sauce), SOS from salty dried beef in a little jar), and Cross & Blackwell Chow-Chow mustard pickle (piccalilli), great on a cold roast beef sandwich on buttered sourdough. In Austin tripe is easy to find. So are other treats used for Mexican cooking. My personal favorites are pig head for tamales and beef cheeks for barbacoa. HEB now carries gorgeous big beef cheeks. I don’t get so hammered I need menudo to help recover anymore. A cheeseburger and coffee does it.

4 Likes

I don’t need a hangover to dive into a bowl of menudo. In fact, I think the last truly delicious bowl I had of menudo was in Austin on a work trip. Decent versions in the DMV but my family kicks up such a fuss about me eating it that I rarely order.

2 Likes

I used to love tomato aspic out of a can, don’t remember the brand. Served it on lettuce leaves with a dot of mayo.

3 Likes

I loved pickle & pimento loaf and olive loaf back in my younger days. Tried both a few years ago sliced at the deli. Might have been Eckrich brand. They didn’t taste anywhere near as good as they use to. Then again, what does.

3 Likes

Previous thread…

2 Likes

Consomme madrilène … Crosse & Blackwell, then Pepperidge Farm - chilled, into a glass cup, Worcestershire Sauce. No one makes it anymore. I learned to like it because it was one of my Dad’s favorites. Cheeseburgers are always good for what ails you. S&W has good stuff; I only know of one store that Carrie’s the brand. My grandmother used to make chow chow. Jars of it in her “fruit closet .”

2 Likes

The shelf-stable stuff is truly sour and vile. Freshly made isn’t bad.

2 Likes

Agree.

I lead such an exciting life. My Friday night rabbit hole was an Origin of Ranch Dressing Rabbit Hole.https://www.abc4.com/news/ranch-dressing-wouldnt-exist-without-plumbers-msg-and-the-alaska-territory/amp/

I like some of the fancier bottled Ranch dressings.

I also like Crack Dip, but I omit the packet of Ranch dressing, using only sour cream, cheddar, Worcestershire, green onion and bacon, iirc.

2 Likes

“If they don’t like something, they’re as likely to throw it at the cook as they are to walk out cursing. I had to come up with something to keep them happy”

Similar to the toddlers who also like ranch for dipping :grin:

3 Likes

My blue cheese dressing:

2 c. Sour cream
1/2 c. mayonnaise (scant)
A few splashes of Worcestershire
A bunch of blue cheese, crumbled
1 packet of ranch dip mix

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

1 vote for Andersen’s split pea soup!

1 Like

That’s how I saw it growing up. That and a jellied vegetable (no tomato) salad. That dot of mayo was mportant!

3 Likes

Walnuts.

1 Like

Uh oh. Kitchen Experiment time ahead!

We made walnut ravioli the other day. Stuffing was really good ricotta, arugula, egg, lemon zest, and crushed walnuts. They were so good. Also I have concluded I like ravioli with slightly thicker pasta. Seven would have been just right. We went to nine.

7 Likes

Sounds delicious!

I think commercially, almonds get all the ‘healthy’ hype while peanuts are cheap and pecans, hazelnuts, and pistachios are ‘fancy’. The tannic aspect of walnuts might make them less popular despite that being useful in both sweet and savory cooking. Walnuts are traditional in carrot cake, baklava … anything else? I don’t see them being ground into butters or flours or made into energy bars like other nuts.

4 Likes

I love walnut anything. I love them raw, in brownies, in cake, in maple walnut ice cream, covered in chocolate, as a paste in Georgian cooking… and I always have walnut oil and walnut mustard in the house for one of my favorite vinaigrettes :slight_smile:

Peanuts aren’t nuts, of course, but they certainly are popular in the US.

5 Likes

Walnuts are my favorite nuts. I make a very heavy and dense whole wheat loaf with molasses, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, and walnuts. Toasted and dripping Plugra butter it pairs with a boiled egg to perfection for the mopping slice and with thick cut marmalade for the second. It also makes superb avocado toast topped with harissa, a squirt of lemon, and Maldon salt. Try mixing them in duxelles to stuff a pork roast!

7 Likes

I see walnuts touted as “healthy”. A very typical salad on local restaurant menus includes candied walnuts with greens, dried cranberries, gorgonzola and a balsamic vinaigrette. I grew up eating walnuts and really like them - I put them in banana bread, brownies, carrot cake and I also use them when I make pesto. A favorite solo lunch for me is good cottage cheese with canned peaches or pears and chopped walnuts.

3 Likes