Otra [San Francisco, Lower Haight]

I had a snack at Otra after and before a few beers at Toronado, which is conveniently within stumbling distance. Otra is a Mexican restaurant from husband and wife team Nick Cobarruvias and Anna Sager Cobarruvias, who also run Son’s Addition in the Mission.

I had the
Aguachile
kampachi con red onion, jicama, charred habanero-miso-lime, tostadas
A fine aguachile of kampachi, kind of a spicy Mexican ceviche. Instead of tostadas this had tortilla chips. Salty, spicy, and acidic. The miso in the sauce was novel and gave it a little miso umami flavor.

Beef Tacos
slow cooked carne con guajillo chile, toasted garlic, avocado, onion, y cilantro
Really good tacos of stewed beef. The chunks of beef were very tender and the sauce was very nice, had a kind of citrus rind flavor in there, maybe it was from the chiles. The ratio of filling to (freshly made with house ground masa) tortillas was a bit off though - there was a large amount of meat on each taco, maybe another tortilla or larger tortilla would have brought it into balance. Anyway I ate a bit of the filling off the top before eating the rest of the taco like one normally eats a taco.

Also had a couple of cocktails. Most of the cocktails on the menu have tequila or mezcal in them, and they also have a good sized list of mezcal and tequila offerings as well.

This was the
Pennicillin No 2
Mezcal, Lemon Juice, Ginger syrup
A nice Penicillin cocktail variation. The smokiness of the mezcal stood in for the peated Scotch float usually in this drink.

and also an

Old Oaxacan
Mezcal, Xila, Reposado Tequila, Grapefruit and Mole Bitters
which was like a Mezcal/Tequila Old Fashioned.

PXL_20210628_023230514

A nice snack. I wouldn’t rush to order the aguachile again but the beef tacos were quite good, as were the cocktails.

6 Likes