OT Other things to do during the quarantine

RRR Red (color) Right (side) Returning (from the Ocean) one of the first lessons my father taught me about captaining your own boat.

5 Likes

I love this! And of COURSE he insisted on two coats…it’s the only way you’ll see what the color will actually looks. :joy: :joy:

That said, I recently posted on IG that one of the things I’ve learned in the pandemic is that it’s impossible to give oneself a good pedicure. At a distance it’s not bad, but up close it looks like a 5 year-old polished my toes! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

That’s in IALA B (North and South America). In IALA A (ROTW) it is “red right returning to the sea.”

Regardless ships and aircraft worldwide show red lights on the port (left) side and green lights to starboard (right). You can see this on planes at night and of course boats and ships in the evening and at night. Lots of movies with shots of ships at dusk, night, and dawn.

2 Likes

I was lucky to have my friend do the polish on my fingers and toes, after I got everything ready. Still a bit of a challenge, not having the right sized stools, and thus not the correct angles @CurlzNJ.

Don’t feel at ease going to the salon yet, and further, doubt if I could wear a mask that long. Too claustrophobic!

1 Like

Red right return was one of the first things I learned in a Coast Guard Auxiliary course. Another was the captain is THE captain.

1 Like

Yep @jcostiones, even a novice and land lover like me knows that. Same in flying - captains have the ultimate authority. Have a few stories, but they pertain to aviation. Another subject for another time. Depending on how bored we all get…:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

In Florida, we all live in flip flops so your feet are on display most of the time, so toe rings, ankle bracelets, and pedis are normal.

I know lots of men who get pedis, and two (both over 70) who wear toe rings and get their toes painted in bright colors. One favors emerald green and the other is usually sporting sapphire blue.

3 Likes

This will help further my case with H! He knows I posted about his fingernails. At the time I did his pinkies, he said he wanted to get some gold polish, to paint his nails with the purple and gold polishes on alternating fingers when he goes to UW Huskies football games. DD2’s alma mater, and they all have season tickets. I don’t go because I hate being cold! That is, whenever college ball starts up again @Sunshine842.

BTW, even though I live in a cool climate I wear flip flops most of the time. Even out in the winter for short errand runs. I really should live in Hawaii…

1 Like

Many houses around here use red and green lights on them. Some are even set up correctly.

4 Likes

Which can be confusing. Coming into tourist beach areas we have to be sure the lights we are looking at are what we think they are. sigh Fortunately most are solid lights and the lights on aids to navigation (“bouys”) are flashing at various rates. That helps a lot.

Which leads to another Dave story ™. I was well up the Southampton River and turning up the Hamble River. We picked up the blinking red light (UK is IALA A so red on the left) for what I thought was a major turning point. One of my crew, a wonderful Dutch lady name Anja, who was on watch looked over the side and asked if there should be a mooring ball where we were. No. Clearly we weren’t where I thought we were. Slow, watch set and drift, pull out charts, review GPS (still in days of selective availability), clear out all assumptions, and figure out where we are and what that $%@#$% blinking red is. Based on being in a mooring field, depth, charts, an ordnance map (@Harters can explain), and adding error circles to GPS position we figured out that OUR red was over THERE and THAT red was a blinking traffic light in a village. We carefully felt our way back to the proper channel and arrived in Hamble at dawn. Life is an adventure.

Anja by the way did more than her share of cooking while sailing with me. Great crew, good cook, and simple devoured information. She would sit on watch mid-ocean and read instruction manuals.

4 Likes

Official map produced by the government agency - the Ordnance Survey. The military sounding name relates to its history - originally developed as an organisation in the latter half of the 18th century. First job was to map Scotland in the aftermath of the Jacobite rebellion in 1745 and then more extensively across the country, as preparation for the war against Napoleanic France.

By the by, where I live now used to be part of a different county (boundaries changed in 1974). The Archives forthe original county has the various Ordnance Survey maps online . It enables me to call up the current map of where I live and, alongside, select a historical map of exactly the same area for 1910, 1893 and 1875 (and some very sketchy info from the second quarter of the 19th century).

4 Likes

Interesting; when I think of ordnance(s) it’s in the sense of weapons of war, explosives and the like. Learned something else new @Harters.

2 Likes

Anytime I’m driving and come across a yacht looking to make a left at a blinking light I always yield to them.

6 Likes

Yes, exactly. The first mapping in Scotland was carried out by the military. And the organisation remained under the control of the War Office until the late 19th century.

(EDIT: By the by, my great uncle, Benjamin, served with the Royal Army Ordnance Corps during the Great War. He was killed on 29/6/16 and is buried at Hannescamps, Somme, France. His story is here in a fairly lengthy article - http://www.hellfirecorner.co.uk/hartley/uncleben.htm )

3 Likes

Most of the house lights are lighting the front door so hopefully there wouldn’t be any impact on boat navigation. But you never know. We did have boats on my street after Sandy.

boat in entry

4 Likes

Very important maps, at least to Americans without adult supervision, as street markings outside major urban areas can be a bit obscure. Car navigation systems (“GPS”) have been a big aid but Google Maps has from time to time tried to route me along a cow path.

1 Like

My thoughts are with Uncle Ben.

1 Like

But all of us have to remember, @Sunshine842 if you’re a 30 something, 365 pound male in gym shorts, a wife beater tee, and bare feet in flip flops–in public, you’re “style” is sickening people.

Come to Michigan. I can take you on a tour the hangouts. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

If its not my money, my clothes, or my body, I dont figure I get a voice.

I know plenty of large people who live in flip flops, look like the town drunk, and could buy everything you and I own together yet this afternoon.

4 Likes

All true.

1 Like