OT Other things to do during the quarantine

Re-read a November 1976 issue of National Lampoon “Is Democracy Fixed?” with candidates Bud Thud, Brad Cooter, and Roland Bagel, pronounced Beegal. Biting sarcasm.

Read a 1986 MAD Magazine spoof of Top Gun I got at the same used book store where I got the Lampoon, it’s closed now I hope it’s only temporary.

Re-read Larry McMurtry’s “Last Picture Show” even though both covers are gone and I’m afraid the book may fall apart.

There’s always trains. We’re going to shelter in place in my car and go look for trains. I’m a railroad nut.

As long as you’re reading, may I suggest my novel:

Even though I could use the money :grin: it’s free this weekend.

4 Likes

Not the takeaway I had watching.

1 Like

I thought the same thing… maybe with the exception of Nacho, his very large cat (I’m allergic)!

I cleaned out my liquor cabinets today.

7 Likes

Cleaned out, or organized? Heehee!

2 Likes

“Grown-ass” woman who still plays Nintendo!

The game is called “Cooking Guide”. Basically it’s a cookery book with a bunch of recipes from around the world. It’s fun. I’ve looked though the recipes many times but never cooked any.

2 Likes

A little of both.
I had one bottle that had a cork in it. The cork was so dry it crumbled in my hand so I threw out the bottle. If you look closely you will see 2 bottles of Dewar’s White Label. I think we inherited it when my uncle died 10 years ago. I tried to throw one out but Mr Bean put it back (I’ve never seen him drink Dewar’s in my life).

I do have a couple of things I need to add once I go back out.

1 Like

For me that would depend if he was home or not.

6 Likes

I recently stayed at the TWA Hotel at JFK airport. The hotel is set in the 1960’s as it would have operated when the airline was in it’s prime. One of the highlights for me was each room had an “original” life magazine from 1960-something. So interesting seeing the cigarette ads, interview with JFK etc.

3 Likes

You cleaned out, I stocked up! (This was from Friday before it was announced that liquor stores were going to be considered essential!!)

8 Likes

I guess you have a preferred vodka.

We have an assortment - cheap stuff for The Sprout, Grey Goose for a very particular friend, Stoli for Mr Bean, and Tito’s for those who are into that sort of thing.

There is also a winter gin and a summer gin but I can never remember which is which.

5 Likes

It’s amazing, architectural wise, only saw that on photos. That say, if quarantine there for 14 days, I would be more than glad.

What gave it away? Yes Stoli is my preferred, the bar also contains Svedka (best discount vodka in my opinion) and Tito’s because the daughters BF prefers that.

@naf The structure, which was the old terminal was pretty cool. They have an old Connie outside that you can board and it’s a cocktail lounge! Really fun experience.

1 Like

I’ll remember that for the next HO Down.

2 Likes

but what are you going to drink tmw?

Hmm I participated in a virtual happy hour the other day and someone mentioned a rum old fashioned so I may try that — today.

Tomorrow I think I’ll go for a Dewar’s.

3 Likes

I agree- if we don’t have chance to make it to Costco for the KS branded vodka (rumor is grey goose makes it) for the 18 dollar handle, I go Svedka- for the price it’s outstanding (it’s good regardless of price anyway) no longer need to splurge on “premium” vodka like Ketel One or Grey Goose on my end any longer.
Also stocked up on Sams Club branded tequilla- 18 for a handle (also KS is really good as well) and some beers…and a few bottles of our favorite Riesling as well…hoping to ride out the storm…

1 Like

I thought I posted on here somewhere but I recently gave the Kirkland (Costco) brand vodka’s a try. The regular is supposedly made by Absolut and just like Absolut it was good, just not to my particular liking. At $12 for 1.750 ltr you really can’t argue with it.

I also decided to give Kirkland Premium a try @ $18. for 1.750ltr which was supposedly made by Goose. Just like Goose it was VERY smooth and almost tasteless. I was SHOCKED for $ 18. you could get such a great tasting Vodka. Unfortunately as you know Edison or Brick is the closest Costco with a liquor license so I don’t get to either of those locations often, but next time I do I will stock up.

I drank Svedka for awhile and while I thought it was just old age, I noticed I was having frequent hangovers. I never put 2&2 together until I got rather sh*tfaced after drinking Stoli and feeling “fine” int he morning as I normally would. Ever since then Svedka became the “house” vodka in my bar, ok for an occasional drink but not too consume too much of. YMMV.

4 Likes

hmm…I’ll have to look into that hangover issue. maybe it’s just from coming drinking a lot of popov or Georki (sp) vokda in plastic handles that I have a different frame of reference for vodka related hangovers…
Yes- the premium KS vodka is legit- but agreed- locally I try never to go north of the Driscoll bridge these days- even to your lovely hometown…I wasn’t aware Brick had the liquor license for The other one- I thought it was Wayne…I might have to double up now run next time I’m at Deninos down there then…

2 Likes