OT Other things to do during the quarantine

Love your cat stories @jcostiones and @Auspicious - have a cat too; seems to me there are more “cat” people than dog people that post to food forums. Would be interesting to know. Anyone else interested in chiming in here about that?

Now wondering if Joe Exotic might be posting here or other sites? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

All I had to do is say the word mouse and he would grab one drop it at my feet and it was fetch game on.

My wife’s nickname for Emma the Cat is “CC” for constant companion. Emma sleeps the day away on her home office desk.

1 Like

I sincerely hope you all read my book, partially about my cat. It’s free if you have kindle unlimited:

Display them as an art form. I’d mount them in the shape of a V - that’s as in the British wartime “V for Victory”. Show the people you mean business about defeating this virus. You’ve lived in the UK, so will know that the two-fingered V sign can be tricky. Fingers raised with palm facing outward, as Winston Churchill, often did, is the “V for Victory”. Same two fingers raised with palm inward means “Fuck Off/You”.

On a more serious note, you should be able to freeze part baked baguettes. So freeze one and eat the other now. Seeing as the place mainly sells cheese surely that’s a bread & cheese lunch. Or, do the “Full Brit” with a"ploughman’s lunch" (a so called traditional meal which dates all the way back to the 1960s.) - cheese, bread, apple, onion, chutney or pickles.

3 Likes

You’re going to have keep your distance!

I found the simply ming video, but cant wrap my head around a quart of evoo, and my oysters are much smaller.
I’m going to check out other versions, and adjust for a smaller amount.

3 Likes

Um, dogs rule. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Of course- dogs rule too @CurlzNJ! Love both canines and felines. Borrow/pet sit kid #1’s dogs when I need a doggie fix.

Would be interesting to know what the breakdown is on this forum, I think. (Obviously have too much time on my hands)…

2 Likes

Reviewed quite a few recipes,

https://drizzleanddip.com/2016/06/07/roasted-carrots-with-oyster-mayonnaise-chorizo-and-horseradish/

https://www.carolinebarty.co.uk/recipe/oyster-mayonnaise/

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/culinaria-oyster-mayonnaise-1.2216573

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10892416/Alex-Atalas-sardine-with-oyster-mayonnaise-recipe.html

went with this one.

1 Like

That’s exactly what we chose to do. Cut each of the two in half and froze them separately.

1 Like

I used to (previous house, old neighborhood) borrow one of several neighbors’ dogs to walk and play with. No food cost, no vet costs.

One particular dog from my immediate neighbors was one of those little furballs. A little elderly, he’d lose bladder control from the excitement of seeing a friend. sigh One day he got out and found me under my car changing the oil. He peed on me. I still have a scar from sitting up while under the car.

2 Likes

Oh no! The daughter’s pup used to have an excitement peeing problem, so I rolled up the rugs til he outgrew it. He’s come a long way.

Speaking of borrowing pets, we were totally dog and cat-less for about a year. I got sad and desperate - was going to volunteer to pet sit for free around the neighborhood. H caved, and we adopted a rescue kitten. He’s the kind of guy who insists he doesn’t want animals, but is a big softie when they’re in his life. She’s a mostly indoor cat, but gets to go out back when we’re home. If she escapes out front, and we’re leaving, he worries about her constantly. She’s our baby now. :cat:

3 Likes

You know I’m bored when I volunteer to clean up cat vomit just to have something to do!

2 Likes

I grew up in the U.S. when Blue Laws were widespread, and pretty much accepted by all. I’m pretty sure Blue Law enforcement never harmed any consumer.

Couldn’t buy gasoline on Sunday.
Couldn’t buy tobacco on Sunday.
Couldn’t buy beer, wine or liquor on Sunday.
Bakeries shuttered.
Grocers shuttered.
Restaurants shuttered.
If you were too stupid to realize this on a Saturday at 8 PM, you went without the next day. No one got any sympathy from anyone else…

Just about the only things open on a Sunday were hospitals, pool halls, churches and movie theaters.

Maybe this Pandemic will force us back into simpler times…

1 Like

I didn’t actually expect anyone to make this but leave it to you. Always ready to try something new.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:grin: It’s good!

1 Like

I’m sure Sideways Kitty (right?) would never do such a thing.

I did have a sailing mate whose boat cat took a real dislike to me and would leave a hairball in my shoes on passage. I had to sleep in my shoes and always carefully zipped my duffel. Wouldn’t even eat food I dished for him.

1 Like

Until relatively recent times, council areas in Wales could decide whether to permit pubs and bars to open on Sunday. Hotel bars were excluded - which meant hotel bars in otherwise dry districts were packed on a Sunday. My father knew of one pub where the boundary between two council areas ran straight through the building, meaning one bar room could open but the other couldnt.

2 Likes

It wasn’t SidewaysBoy! I have four cats and the eldest barfs a lot. Always in threes.

I’m sorry I got his moniker wrong. I’ll do my best but no guarantee it won’t happen again. Names are not my strong suit.

Four cats are a lot of cats. How much cat litter do you go through? Jeepers.