Oregon/Cal Coast

Any reccs, especially seafood from Cannon Beach to Napa?

2 Likes

Blackfish Cafe in Lincoln City and the Cafe at Hawk Creek in Neskowin.

1 Like

Must stop at Rogue River creamery on the southern OR coast, if you are a fan of blue cheese.

7 Likes

If you can get out toward the Mendocino coast, the Princess Seafood Cafe in Ft Bragg. Get yourself a half doz. oysters, a cup of crab bisque, and a crab sandwich. Sit outside and watch the water and have a beer.

Not much of a finer lunch to be had, imho.

If you wanna do it up a little bougier, Hog Island Oyster at the Oxbow Market in Napa is always a solid choice. The Market is overflowing with delicious, but pricey treats. But it’s Napa, so of course it’s $$$.

5 Likes

Speaking of Rogues, the Rogue Brewery in Newport is fun and has great snacks to accompany flights of beer. I especially liked the cauliflower “Buffalo wings.”

2 Likes

I second the recommendation of Blackfish Cafe in Lincoln City. It’s a creative seafood restaurant in a very fun city with lots to do.

It’s a bit inland from the coast, but the Tillamook Creamery is a fascinating and delicious place where you can sample ice cream and cheese.

Tillamook Air Museum is near the creamery, if you are interested in aviation history I highly recommend it.

I just looked up the Blackfish Cafe, and it said they have closed.

Rogue River Creamery is not on the coast, it is Central Point, 120 miles inland.

2 Likes

Oh, no! I should have checked, it’s been before Covid since I’ve been down the coast. My apologies, it was a really great place and I’m grateful to have been.

2 Likes

I really appreciate the chances I have here in Boston to buy Rogue River cheese. It’s amazing. Very pricey, but so are many artisan cheese these days. Really worth it for me to buy a small piece and enjoy it so much.

4 Likes

Shoot. I’m getting my Oregon trips mixed up.

2 Likes

I like Oxbow a lot, and that is where I go if I’m being bougie and not shucking my own oysters. It isn’t technically on the coast either, but Point Reyes is, and there are oysters to be had there too! It’s near actual Hog Island. My daughter was there last weekend, and she is not bougie!

Here’s a link about Tomales Bay.

ETA Welcome @PNW_mushroom !

3 Likes

I’ve been to Clearwater Restaurant in Newport a couple of times and can recommend it. It has a creative, seafood-centric menu, a nice wine & spirits menu, and an excellent view of Yaquina Bay & beautiful Yaquina Bay Bridge. And yes, it’s still open! :slight_smile:

Service was very energetic as was the atmosphere on a warm summer night. Sunset views are spectacular. When I was there a few years ago it was warm, they had floor-to-ceiling windows they could open. Sorry, I can’t yet post links.

2 Likes

If you are into aviation, the museum in McMinnville is worth the detour. O heck, stuck in the Willamette Valley again with all those darned wineries.

3 Likes

Thank you, and welcome. We are staying overnight across the bridge so good to know. I’m also considering Local Ocean Seafood nearby but thats more of a market

1 Like

As the review says, the wine list is incredible, but they have a bunch of real gems not on the list. Last time I was there you could gaze at them in the rack by the waiting area. One night we wanted a PG to go with some Kumamotos. The wait person came back to the table and said they were out of the one we had ordered. Would an off list Eyrie be ok? Duh!

2 Likes

Thank you for your welcome! Enjoy your stay, there are so many wonderful things to see and do along the Coast. You’re in for a treat.

1 Like

The restaurant under the bridge in Fort Bragg was pretty nice years ago. It had your typical coastal seafod fare in the fishing village. Lots of places to visit in that stretch of the coast.

1 Like

B and I travel a lot, pre- and post-kid. One of our favorite pre-kid trips was a meander down the Oregon coast. I think we only made it as far south to Newport but every bit of it was glorious. We even stayed in a lighthouse (Haceta Head). I probably posted on Chowhound and chronicled it in my journal but that’s a rabbit hole I can’t jump into now. Plus, eating/drinking establishments may have changed, but the landscape hopefully hasn’t. The coastal vistas are mind-blowing. Can’t wait to hear about your trip @Ziggy.

4 Likes
  • Seaquake Brewing in Crescent City.
  • Oyster picnic at Hog Island Oyster Company or Tomales Bay Oyster Company in Tomales Bay
  • Murphy’s Market & Deli in Trinidad, which has fish tacos and other good deli food.
  • Not seafood, but Caribbean- A Taste of Bim in Arcata.
  • Not a restaurant, but pate de fruit from the Cranberry Sweets factory in Coos Bay.
3 Likes