Openings/closings Oct/Nov/Dec [Boston, New England]

I mis-wrote. It was the Davis Sq. location that closed. They are supposed to open in Lexington.

Ha, the few times I’ve eaten there was also for business dinners. I worked in that area, and then around the corner in Charlestown, for nearly 20 years. It was never a place that I thought of first. It was always a place to mix things up for a change, or you couldn’t get a seat at a different restaurant that we preferred. It was solid, if not particularly special.

3 Likes

Sorry, are you saying that Revival Cafe shut down the Davis Sq location? I cannot find anything on their webpage, Facebook or Instagram that confirms that. It seems as if I just went by there last week and they were in business! At any rate I’ll be passing by there tomorrow and will see what the story is

Just walked into the Davis Sq Revival and got a cup of coffee. It’s alive and well (and busy).

Revival did close their Back Bay location back in the Spring. Maybe you were thinking of that one?

2 Likes

Garrett Harker’s All That Fish + Oyster opened in September in a new devlopment on Beacon Street just a stone’s throw from his old haunts in Kenmore Square. My SO and daughter surprised me with a visit for my birthday. The kitchen is firing on all cylinders - we ordered way too much food but there was not a clunker. Highlights for me were bluefish - this has to be fresh, and it was - lobster in tiger milk, and day boat scallop crudo. Rice pudding was a fabulous desert. One oddity was no espresso/cappucino : apparantly they had a machine but surrendered it to their sibling Eastern Standard Kitchen just across the courtyard. Our waitress managed to score a cappucino for my daugther, nonetheless.

6 Likes

That’s good to hear. I am looking forward to trying this place when I can get out of the house again!

1 Like

Should also mention the beverage program is awesome. Daughter had a zero proof shrub. SO had one of their dirty martini options that reminded her of Ghost of Mary. I had a rum old fashioned, served on the rocks with a perfectly rectangular strip of orange peel, fastened to the side of the glass with an impossibility cute, tiny wooden clothespin. Jackson Cannon is strutting his stuff with cocktails. His Equal Measure should be opening in the same complex soon. SO and I both has a cremant du Jura from Bourdy, a reliable producer. Perfectly dry, crisp, great with seafood (would be great with oysters, which we didn’t try on this visit). And the pour was generous.

1 Like

Just dawned on me that dirty martini could be an homage to the original Ghost of Mary, which I believe was first crafted by Scott Shoer at Great Bay or it’s successor Island Creek Oyster Bar, a couple of hundred yards away in Kenmore Square. Any HOs know the detailed provenance of Ghost of Mary?

Speaking of cylinders (thanks for the great review @MaxEntropy), mine are obviously not all firing.

The co-owner’s kid and Spring Onion were classmates—it was so sad to see him sad that Newbury St was closing down. He knew it was a tough time for his family. Glad that Davis Sq is rockin’ it out.

1 Like

Today the FB page for Burlington’s Ritu Ki Rasoi announced that it is the restaurant’s last day under Ritu’s ownership. No details about the new management. Ritu treated diners like friends. Her genuine hospitality was as much a component of the 13yr old restaurant’s success as the delicious food and the opportunity to experience dishes from the entire spectrum of regional Indian cooking.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Ritu Ki Rasoi in Burlington Has Closed.
I gave up on them after I found out the used canned potatoes in their dishes. The dining room wasn’t too exciting either.

Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont is closing at the end of the year which is really sad as it is an excellent place for everything beer (we still get regular packages from them) and with their very good Trinktisch restaurant something unique which really stood out even far beyond just Boston or MA. Disappointing to hear that they tried to sell it but the current economic situation didn’t convince any buyer to continue this place. Big loss

3 Likes

Oof. Just a terrible sign when places like this can’t survive. Things are fundamentally broken.

1 Like

Oh dear. Thanks for the info. We’ll stop by soon to say thank you to Kate and her partner (her name is escaping me at the moment).

Honestly, I missed their original little location on Leonard. I felt that the new space/concept was a little overextended.

1 Like

Agree. We live a short drive away from the Westford location, which has rebranded as CBC Liquors. I preferred the original focus (in Westford) on craft beers though the beer selection remains great. So the closing of the flagship location in Belmont leaves me wondering.

1 Like

The press release that Trinktisch sent out a couple of days ago always mentioned an issue with the landlord that factored into any possible sale. Doesn’t it seem as if more often than not restaurant closures involve a landlord issue? (Eastern Standard cough cough)

1 Like

Suzanne.

I agree with you about the restaurant/bar space. Other than a killer draft list the place never felt right to me (lots of hard surfaces, the sound just bounced around inside the space, dark due to being in a basement, and I never thought that the food was better than average/good). I’m guessing that the place ended up being a lot more work than they imagined and that the return they saw wasn’t worth it.

1 Like

We got quite frequently take out from Trinktisch during the beginning of the pandemic when we lived closeby and the food was always really good (but never ate inside, so can’t comment on that part)

I just found out that The Boston Shaker closed in August! What a shame! It was my go-to for bitters, equipment, and other things. I hope they will open somewhere else, but the website just pretty much says “good-bye”.

2 Likes