One of the rudest dining habits ever, and you're probably doing it

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ice-one-rudest-dining-habits-104501589.html

Not even close to the rudest, and no, I don’t do it. I can’t recall hearing anyone do it. And the people quoted in that “article” strike me as a little oversensitive. Or a lot oversensitive.

5 Likes

I suspect Ms O’Leary had a slow news day and close to deadline.

5 Likes

Yeah, no. I have never done that. Im grateful that someone has spent the time and energy to feed me and spend time with me.

Ive also never had it done to me. Anyone who said something like that at a dinner party would promptly be invited to go home and cook it themselves and hopefully choke on it.

I have, however, had someone ask for my recipe, change it til it no longer resembled my dish, then complain that it didn’t taste like mine. I simply replied that they should be sure to let me know when they try my recipe.

6 Likes

cultural clue:
“…Most of your guests are on their second (or third) round of adult beverages and are tucking into the main course —…”

4 Likes

Yeah, this is a bizarre that they think this is common. Even if you weren’t comparing it to another meal, is telling your host that the food was only ok or meh not rude?? I think it’s weird that they are particularly calling out the comparison part. That whole first part is what is ungracious, unappreciative, and rude.

3 Likes

Sounds like the slang definition of Karen to me .

2 Likes

Is the article implying there are insecure dicks out there? :exploding_head::joy:

4 Likes

This is certainly not the rudest. However, it certainly can come across as being rude.

If it does to you, that’s all the more proof that the Karen meme, taken up by white people, has absolutely no meaning anymore.

1 Like

That looks like some clickbait to an unnecessary/non-news site designed to expose a person to numerous ads.
From what I’m seeing in the comments (here) this “rudest dining habit ever” is kind of a stretch.

4 Likes

What are they saying is the rudest? Eating a burger? I’m so confused! :roll_eyes:

No, stealthily insulting your food by praising some other version of it they’ve had. Apparently there was a blank page on the internet that had to be filled, and this was the best idea anyone could come up with.

4 Likes

“But then things took a confusing and rather insulting turn. “The next time I see her, however, she tells me, ‘I made your recipe for dinner,’ and then proceeds to tell me she switched everything around. I top my shepherd’s pie with cheddar mashed potatoes. She used just a little shaved Parmesan. Instead of mashed potatoes, she used scalloped potatoes. Instead of beef, she used ground turkey. And she used half the amount of Worcestershire sauce. But yet (and this is the kicker) it was ‘my recipe.’ I went from feeling like a good host to a lousy cook,” Crisley said.”

Then that’s totally on Crisley. All she had to do is push back and say “Yeah, that’s NOT the recipe I gave you. Almost completely different ingredients, so no wonder it didn’t taste the same as when I made it.” It’s not insulting if it’s NOT THE SAME DISH.

Definite clickbait article with way-oversensitive people.

4 Likes

How’s this for rude: a pretentious dinner guest looking at a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape on the dinner table and saying, “I don’t know if I can drink a Côte du Rhône” (her exact words). I didn’t have any other wine, and even if I did, would not have offered to open another bottle instead. :rage: She drank the wine!

2 Likes

Also: hows this for a guest who knows diddly about wine but decided to die on that hill rather than keep her mouth shut.

1 Like

Or you give them a great recipe and they use shit ingredients. No, it doesn’t taste the same. Whole milk is not cream. Country Crock sure as HAIL ain’t butter, and you can actually peel and cut your own carrots, and they taste fresher than the nibblers. Garlic powder does not replace fresh garlic. Take enough cheap shortcuts and don’t tell anyone you got that recipe from me, plz.

2 Likes

I’m replying to Sunshine’s post above, but the quote function doesn’t work and the post goes away, so I had to copy and paste.

“ Yeah, no. I have never done that. Im grateful that someone has spent the time and energy to feed me and spend time with me.”

We were invited to the home of an in-law for a pre-Christmas celebration dinner. She is a very pleasant person who does not normally cook, but went out of her way to get a simple recipe she could manage. We really appreciated that, but unfortunately one of the ingredients was chili sauce, one of the things my stomach cannot digest. While eating I felt really ill, but said nothing, except to ask her if I could take the meat home as I was full from the nibbles before.

Fortunately dinner was done early. Getting into the car I asked my wife to step on the gas. On getting home I promptly had to talk to Ralph on the big white telephone!

2 Likes

Points for being a trooper. There are some things that I just can’t eat, so I do my best to eat around it or push it around my plate. I know that their intention wouldnt be for me to be ill or in pain.

Because of that, I make a point of asking people if they have any dietary issues, whether it’s an allergy, a sensitivity, a religious choice, or just ssomething they flat out don’t like. Then I can work around it.

3 Likes

I do too, and I make my chilli limitation well-known as I’ve suffered too much from it over the years.

2 Likes