One of the rudest dining habits ever, and you're probably doing it

Yeah, I seem to recall a guest, who was not at all a good cook, doing that to me. What ya gonna do, except take another sip of wine - and think, but not utter, the (in)appropriate riposte? I always check beforehand for allergies, religious preferences, and dislikes. I behave myself at someone else’s table. That’s what my mom taught me to do… and she was right.

As for handing out recipes, which the recipient proceeds to alter beyond recognition- just look at the comments on the recipes in The NY Times. It’s like watching a car wreck.

2 Likes

40 years ago, friends came to my place for dinner. One of them was insistent: he was going to prepare cream of mushroom soup - with mushrooms and Coffee Mate. I’m struggling to suppress my gag reflex even now. :eyes:

I agree completely……with one exception: You are served a very nice meal, no complaints, and you’ve had your fill. The hostess asks you to take more, and you thank her and explain that you can’t manage more. In response she puts more into your plate. I’ve had that done to me many times. I don’t eat what’s in the plate because I can’t.

1 Like

If you can’t, you can’t. I’m not a Mom at the table: I never put seconds on someone’s plate unless they request it or assent whey I offer it. I’m not the Finish Your Vegetables Or You Don’t Get Dessert Cop. :joy:

1 Like

Silly article. She lost me where she complained about a childhood friend who in response to being asked how she liked the peanut butter sandwich said her mom makes it with chunky peanut butter.

Don’t ask questions you don’t want trueful answers to. She even admits she asked the question because she was feeling smug about getting the better trade. What a jerk move.

3 Likes

Ray Romano on “The Italian Mother (or The Jewish Mother - same actually when it comes to food)”. I’ve timestamped it where he starts this routine but the earlier stuff’s pretty funny, too.

2 Likes

The Jewish Mother’s admonition: “The name of this ship is the S.S. Mein Kind (the ess! Ess! — eat! Eat! My Child! — for those among us unfamiliar with Yiddish … or German)

3 Likes

Don’t think I’ve ever done this, nor had anyone do it to me.

My sister has done it to her husband when they were eating my chili, though. He’s a lover of super spicy foods and his chili is just habanero all the way (back then - now he will add some of the more exotic spicier stuff as well).

She remarked that mine was nice and spicy but had a lot of layers to the flavor and asked how I did it so I explained about the 7 or 8 types of chilis, whereupon she skewered his as “mono-dimensional, you should make it like this”.

He just grinned and said (to her), “But this isn’t spicy enough” then to me, “Keyrock, do you still have that habanero sauce you made?”. But he was just joking and poking a bit of fun back at her, mainly.

1 Like

This kind of conversation is 80 percent of the conversation at the chow meets / cookie swaps, potlucks, gelato tastings, chocolate tastings, Cake Days, Pie Days I used to attend with former Chowhounds from Toronto. Compare and contrast, this isn’t a as good as what I had in Paris/ Tokyo ad nauseam :joy:

Pissing contest is how many people converse.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

Sounds like my sister and me. But not usually about food. Because I can do it better.

This is a link to the exact same article linked to in the OP, which is why it was added (needlessly) to this thread. It was a separate post & was merged with this one. Not sure why :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I read the first thread, but somehow this time it struck me differently.

This is the thread. The other one just had @kaleokahu 's link and @Saregama’s response linking to this thread, nothing else.

Okay. Maybe I’m confused. I read it last time ( Feb 2nd) , but made no comment.

Not to go off track, but…
As a starving college student, I remember making tomato soup with packets of ketchup and a packet of coffee mate.

1 Like

I like Coffee Mate!

I do too… but it isn’t a good substitute for milk when you are making ketchup packet tomato soup.

2 Likes

Looking over my life, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I’d only kept my mouth shut tight more.

8 Likes