Old keepers

No seams or steel visible anywhere? It doesn’t look cast to me, so yes, he probably dr/milled out the handle to mate with a hidden tang and then drove the handle down over the tang.

1 Like

My mom had that exact set! I’m not sure whether to hope she still has it (for sentimental reasons) or pray she’s gotten rid of it (because if I inherit the set, I don’t think I’d be able to toss them for sentimental reasons).

1 Like

When other cleaning methods fail, Mrs. ricepad uses what I have been calling her Magic Goo. She makes a paste of coconut oil and baking soda (roughly equal parts), then rubs it with her fingers on whatever she wants clean. She uses it on everything except a few things like baking pans (since ATK said that a patina on baking pans is preferable to new and shiny).

2 Likes

No seams visible on any of the aluminum handles. Even those which do have the rivets, they are solid aluminum blocks that he must have milled out.

I wonder if he also used hot/cold (handle/tang) style shrink fitting on that knife and felt it was secure enough without placing rivets.

1 Like

The Calphalon saute pan. The set of Calphalon kitchen utensils an ex got me for our 1-year anniversary. All of the Pyrex.

1 Like

“Soft boiled egg cutter”

I have a spring action device that I use to crack the tops of soft boiled eggs in an egg cup. Is this what you’re referring to?:

I assume you like the way it works. I just hold the egg in a napkin and whap it above the midpoint at the smaller end with the edge of my knife. My method is usually, but not always, successful. It has never been irretrievably bad, but hey, you never know.

Oh, but the clacker is just so easy and elegant…

1 Like

Agreed. The only issue I sometimes have with the “clacker” is that sometimes the edge created has some tiny bits of loose shell you have to check for. Otherwise it’s really easy and helpful.

I searched one out in Paris after seeing one on museum display that belonged to a recently-departed French chef in Seattle. His little placard said he estimated he’d opened over 18,000 eggs with it!

I had a hard time choosing between three different models offered at A. Simon. But mine looks very much like yours.

Yes, there’s definitely knack to be (easily) acquired for clean results.

1 Like