Old Glory (Keyport NJ)

Nope, my last time there was also my last time dining out before the lock-down.

1 Like

@Metsfan86 Went to Old Glory for the first time a few weeks ago. There were a few downsides for us. We’re not doing any indoor restaurant dining, so we needed to sit outdoors. I knew they had outdoor seating, but we it’s mainly picnic tables with attached benches and umbrellas. Benches are not comfortable for me because I have back problems. They do have two high tops with chairs with backs (we sat at one of those) as well lots of bar seating also with chairs with backs. The problem with all of those is there is no shade. We were there on a warm but cloudy day, so shade wasn’t necessary.

When it came to the food, we went there specifically because fish and chips is on the menu. Unfortunately, they were not available that day. Very annoying! But we soldiered on. Started with two types of wings, both of which were very tasty. We then split a burger, which was fine.

Because of the outdoor seating problems, I doubt we’ll go again.

Photos on my Flickr here: Old Glory Kitchen & Spirits | Flickr

2 Likes

@RGR Thanks for the info. Yeah the outdoor setup doesn’t look to be a super comfy one. Sorry it dampened the experience. I’ve enjoyed the food previously but never had the burger. Been meaning to go back, but We just usually end up at keyport fishery when we’re out that way.
Have enjoyed the pizza, salads, chicken dishes, and remember the fries as being good. Have to try the wings

1 Like

Grabbed takeout to go this weekend after buying our tree at the union beach library (great tree and deal,
Nice people if you’re looking for one).

Chicken fingers and fries were bit hit. Cheese burger and fries were really good. Fries nice and crisp. Burger had good Smokey flavor to it. Star was the chicken cutlet sandwich,
No roasted peppers with a fresh mozz and pesto topping. 2nd time I’ve had chicken cutlet there and both times have been phenomenal. Tender, juicy, really crispy.

Looks like keyport was having some sort of event for the day. Looked fun. Place was almost full for indoor dining at 4pm on a sat. They now have dedicated take out spot to pick up as

1 Like

That chicken cutlet is also excellent on their milanaise salad.

2 Likes

Agreed. Was my first experience with chicken there. I have not ordered the wings yet since we alway take to go. One day I will get to, I know you speak highly of them.
Have you tried the pizza at all? Obv have some great spots locally, but if decent pie is there too it’s just one more feather in their cap.

1 Like

You’ve got to learn THOC move. (THOC = The House of Chong)
Now that I have become a somewhat of a regular dine-in patron I have made the following observations which I have termed: THOC.

95% of their business is takeout/delivery which is common for Chinese restaurants in general, but there is something distinctly different about the pick-up scene here. It seems every husband in Middletown NJ must set their watches ahead by 15 minutes because every single time there is a pick up order the following happens:

1.) They are all picked up by married men
2.) All these men arrive for their food a minimum of 15 mins early
3.) Being so early they seek refuge by sitting at the bar
4.) Men being “social” creatures each man ALWAYS orders a beer/drink.
5.) Every guy winds up staying exactly 15 minutes PAST their dinner ready time.
6.) After a total elapsed time of 30mins each husband receives a phone call from their irate wives
7.) Each man gives a car/traffic excuse combined with how busy HOC is and how long the order is taking

That my friends is THOC affect. It’s also the loooooongest possible way I could tell you to just go early for your pick up/take out and order one while you wait!! (just remember the accident on 36 by the DMV and how backed up OG was that night :+1:)

11 Likes

I’ve witnessed the same thing at VIics in Bradley Beach! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Guilty of this behavior but at the Nip-N-Tuck waiting for a Jersey Burger and Wings. Will never not love this move.

3 Likes

There was a time in my life that on any random night (after I closed my place) you could find me at 11-12-1am at the bar at Nip-N-Tuck having wings. lol

2 Likes