Oh, right. March 2017, Boston. Openings and closings.

This thread has been pretty moribund lately and I’m stating to wonder if I should even bother, but here it is anyway for March 2017. Anyone? Anyone?

1 Like

Strip T’s 93 School St. Watertown is now open for breakfast Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 10 am.
Went by last week to check out 3 options:

1. Killer avo toast with fresh arugula, parmeggianno;
  2. House scratch made drop biscuit egg sando
  3. House made banana bread, grilled if that’s your pleasure
    Have tried 1st 2, not especially a banana bread fan. Full compliment of coffee options. Worth the trip or looking for a place for a meeting… free on street parking, too. Relaxing vibe.

Also,didn’t know they’ve added daily specials:

Monday: Lamb Rigatoni - ‘merguez’ roasted lamb, piquillo peppers, parsley, manchego
$18.00
Tuesday: Moxy Braised Beef Cheek - potato gratin, green beans, pan reduction sauce
$18.00
Wednesday Baked Mac & Cheese - three cheeses, applewood smoked bacon , dry tomatoes
$18.00
Thursday: Crispy Five-Spiced Duck Confit - grilled baby bok choy, rice, sweet chili sambal
$20.00
Friday: Pan Roasted Scottish Salmon - farro, butternut squash, brussel sprouts, roasted garlic cream $22.00
Saturday :Grilled NY Strip Sirloin - potato rosti, spinach, foraged mushroom, madeira jus $22.00
Haven’t tried any as yet but will be soon!
http://stripts.com/menu

4 Likes

Branch Line (Watertowm MA) is now open for dinner on Sundays.

4 Likes

Eater reports that a new “modern Indian” place called Nirvana is open between Harvard and Porter Squares, in the former West Side Lounge space. The menu has various chaat and dosas.

http://nirvanacambridge.com/

1 Like

via Hidden Boston, Dorchester’s Pho So 1 has been permanently closed for its repeated violations of being open past its 10 PM closing time. I really wanted to try this place.

Universal Hub

east ocean city on beach street in chinatown has closed

1 Like

thanks for the Chinatown update galangatron, these are really helpful

Pagu is open in Central Square. We enjoyed our meal there but probably won’t rush back. As with so many recent area openings: good flavors, nice atmosphere, small portions high prices. $200+ before tip including one ($15) cocktail and one glass of sake and we weren’t stuffed. For that price point the food needs to be very special, and while it is very good it didn’t quite clear the bar. The only flavors that are standing out in my mind are the jamon and that doesn’t really count.

The sashimi dishes were all enjoyable with the standout being the salmon. The uni miso mazemen was a let down. The broth was gloppy with on off putting lemon flavor. Interestingly this is part of their 4 course tasting menu which I would have been very disappointed had I ordered (3 relatively small dishes and the soup for $60). Everything else we tried was tasty but nothing is standing out in my mind 5 days later.

1 Like

sabor peruvian fusion is opening in the old antonella’s location on broadway in revere

Oh no! I spent many a late night at East Ocean City after the Asian clubs closed. My friends and I got fantastic feasts even at that late hour. I remember it had cut back hours some years ago so I had a feeling its days were numbered. Thanks for the update. Farewell!

A chicken place is going into the space that was Soul Fire in Allston. Didn’t get the name.

i saw this on Eater. It’s going to be a franchise Korean chicken place called BB.Q Chicken. They have lots (like over 1000) locations worldwide, and maybe 20 or so in the states.

I also read on Pigtrip that the pitmaster from Soul Fire is now at Horseshoe Grill in Reading.

pho hoa on beach street in chinatown is now pho mai

Chicken and Rice Guys on Washington Street downtown is now open

1 Like

next door (ice cream and bubble tea) is opening in the old infusions tea spa location on brighton ave in allston

I’m already on board as a fan of Sillari’s Pizza in Malden, so may as well note here (c/o Eater) that Jaju will be doing a popup there on Mondays next month selling their pierogis.

Haven’t had these, but they look pretty promising from their website.

Jaju Pierogi

Sweet Ginger in Union Square, Somerville, is now Siam Ginger. Menu has changed a bit but otherwise seems about the same. Possible the heat level has been dialed back, but I am always willing to ask for more.

Good to know. Thanks for posting it.

Went yesterday, same menu, same staff as ever. From what I can tell, only the name has changed

One last entry here. There’s a new Indian Restaurant in Wakefield, Maya Indian Grill. My husband and I went to the buffet for lunch and it was great in my somewhat uneducated opinion. A few relevant notes.

They are still in their soft open period. They opened about 10 days ago and their grand opening hasn’t happened yet.

Their buffet had around 12 entrees and 2 dessert options, less than half of which were dishes I would call typical (tikka masala, bryani, etc) The food was good, fresh, and delicious. I had a large rose lassi to wash it down.

Caveat: I am not an authority on what is authentic Indian food, so I’d love a person who’s more of an expert to go check it out. FWIW over half the people there eating wee Indian, and they were pretty busy.

http://www.mayaindiangrill.com/

1 Like