Offal and friends

Others disagree. I can’t find a link to the original “Nasty Bits” article but I found this aboutsweetbreads.

I just read your posted article.

Unfortunately, it does not say anything about the differences in the type of animal that is used in Oxtail.

In Spain, the bulls that are brought to the Bullrings, and are (unfortunately) killed by Matadors, & this is where the Spanish Rabo (tail) de Toro (bull) is from.

However, due to Covid and the humanitarian groups who are against bullfighting, cattle are used and marked accordingly as Rabo de Buey (beef cattle).

There is a distinct flavour difference and price difference.

None the less it is a scrumptuous dish … If you are ever in Jerez de La Frontera or The Capital of Madrid during the month of May … May is the “Corridas” = bull fighting season.

Thank you. My experience with oxtail is Carribean; I’m pretty sure it is random cows. I can’t believe they now sell for more than $8.00 USD per pound (453 grams according to Google) around here, even in "Asian " markets.

ETA, I like to keep the history and culture of bullfighting in mind, but not a fan. Not a fan of horse racing, or boxing either for what that’s worth!

4 Likes

Oxtsil, especially paired with shortribs, is one of our favorite dinner party dishes, recipe often requested. It is absolutely no longer a cheap cut. And quality or meatiness varies tremendously.

3 Likes

Here it is! I’ll leave it in Imperial measurements, but will happily convert if anyone needs

Liver with Wine & Mushrooms

2 lbs liver (sliced)
1/2 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
Plain flour
6 slices (streaky) bacon
2 cups sliced onion
1 can mushrooms (I just can’t…I use about a cup of sliced fresh mushrooms)
Dry white wine
Salt & pepper

Marinate liver in Italian dressing several hours in refrigerator. Drain, dredge in flour.

In large skillet saute bacon until crisp. Drain, crumble, and set aside.

Add onion to drippings in skillet saute 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Saute liver in drippings 3 minutes each side. Remove to 8 x 8 x 2 baking dish. Reserve drippings.

If using tinned mushrooms, drain, reserving the liquid. (If using fresh, saute in a different skillet until they give up their liquid. Drain liquid into a measuring cup)

Combine mushroom liquid with wine to equal 3/4 cup. Add to drippings in skillet with salt and pepper. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Pour onions and mushrooms over liver in baking dish. Pour wine sauce over liver and add bacon on top. Bake 30 min at 325F

You can also substitute chicken livers, then serve over rice.

Hope it turns out well for you!

We are not fans of bull fighting at all nor boxing – however, in May, this is when one can purchase or dine out on fresh “rabo de toro” verses frozen …

8.00 Usd $ for a pound is cheap for rabo de toro ! Here it is much more expensive.

Oxtail from cattle is, however, alot cheaper. Approx. less than 8 € a kilo.

Have a nice day ahead.

1 Like

Thanks Sunshine. I can interpret most of that into Brit Speak with no problem. And, no, I won’t be using tinned mushrooms. One of our hotel chains used to use them on the breakfast buffet - once tried, never repeated.

1 Like

Yes, oxtail in the US is now just tails from whatever bovine happens to be at hand…which makes the high prices even more baffling.

My favorite off cut (since it’s not really offal) is beef cheeks…I braise them told they are melting tender. The flavor is sublime, and theres so much collagen that the sauce becomes a silky, unctuous gravy with no effort at all.

4 Likes

Beef cheeks are fab. As are pigs cheeks.

1 Like
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold