Obvious Hacks...

Hey, what do you think of this one:

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/equipex-fc-60g-1

Any experience with Equipex?

I like the fact that it has infrared broiling elements, that would come in very handy for steaks.

1 Like

Since I mounted my BSO undercounter anyway, this would have been a good choice. That and a toaster…

I was always taught to make a proper pot of tea, you poured boiling water in a empty pot for a couple minutes first, emptied it, put in a tea bag or two and then the boiling water over the bags. Steep.

I have a toaster oven but never use it for toast. I use my toaster only for that.

I use the toaster over to bake/broil things, especially in summer when my oven throws too much heat. I have no a/c.

That’s how Mum used to do it.

That said, tea is a vile tasting fluid and Americans did the right thing in throwing it into Boston harbour.

3 Likes

This works about as well as my can opener!

I noticed the pressure he had to exert to start the hack. If his hand had slipped he was probably on his way to the ER.

Stove top cleaning hack.

Water down a dryer sheet with water. Let the softener Emulsify. Then wipe down the stove too, grates, back and front area until the gooey solution covers the areas to be cleaned. Let sit 10-15 min depending how dirty. . . With a kitchen towel soaked in hot water wipe off the solution then towel dry. Sparkles.

3 Likes

I no longer eat breakfast and can’t be sure of the timing, but toaster ovens vary so much that you’d need to experiment anyway: wrap an egg in aluminum foil and place it inside, at the rear, when you make toast. Voila! Soft-cooked egg. My crappy toaster oven takes two cycles to toast and I THINK that’s how long the eggs take. But, best to open them over a bowl, prepared to make scrambled eggs if they are still too runny. (Since I cook a full pound of bacon on a sheet pan in the oven and then refrigerate, all my portion needs is a warm-up in the still-hot toaster oven, as I am buttering the toast and removing the top of the eggs. )

1 Like

I love my toaster oven, but mine also takes a looooong time for toast. For my desired doneness it take 7 minutes and 20 seconds for a single english muffin! But it’s versatile, so I don’t mind it. The time gives me a chance to do some odds and ends in the kitchen while it toasts.

For those times that I only want a single egg, I put a dab of butter into a ramiken, and nuke it for a few seconds to melt it. Then I crack my egg into the ramiken. Pierce the yolk, cover with a paper towel and nuke for about 25 seconds. Nicely cooked single egg!

When making toast in the CSO, if I need a new stick of butter from the fridge, I put it in the butter plate and place on top of the toaster oven. It’s usually then soft enough for spreading after the toast cycle. I also keep stuff warm or warm things like dinner plates on top of said CSO, when it’s in use for other things.

3 Likes

Do people you know actually use acronyms for kitchen items? I’m guessing the “O” is for oven but don’t have the energy to Google for the rest right now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m thinking “C” is for convection.

Ummm, yes. It stands for Cuisinart Steam Oven, a little bigger than your standard toaster oven and with a steam function, as well as convection, and other functions.

Makes great toast, rewarms leftovers well, and is great for smaller cooking projects. Large enough to fit a 9” pie plate or 8x8 pan & is great for pastry. Sorry I wasn’t more clear.

1 Like