NYC Recommendations

I’m headed to NY from SF for three nights next weekend with my teenage daughter. We’re going to head out to Astoria for Bellucci’s clam pie and hit Katz’s for lunch one day because it’s been a few years. I’m looking a Fish Cheeks for dinner one night, but otherwise pretty open.
Any good Carribean in Manhattan or worth trekking not too far for.
Anywhere to get a great Cubano? Italian combo hero?
I want to try Gage and Tollner but they’re all booked up - does anyone know if they take walk-ins?

1 Like

Margon for cubano.
If you want to to stay in Manhattan for Caribbean, check out Rebel, Miss Lily’s 7A, Jamrock Jerk (food cart) or Kokomo in Brooklyn

1 Like

At the bar, I’m pretty sure.

1 Like

Very near your clam pie (which I imagine you’ll get at Andrew Bellucci’s Pizzeria and not at the like-named Bellucci Pizza, and which might still require a 48-hour advance order), Sorriso Italian Salumeria offers a bewilderingly large menu of sandwiches. I took the easy way out, on my last visit, and ordered a Godfather.

5 Likes

Thanks, that Godfather looks spot on.
Yes, I made a reservation at Bellucci’s Pizzeria and noted I wanted the clam pie, but maybe I should call to confirm.

Man, the spot looks right out of the Sopranos too!

I love how a great italian sandwich doesn’t need much if anything in the way of vegetables, some roast peppers/pepper relish, oil/vinegar and out.

This spot going into my file for next NYC trip, nice tip, thanks.

1 Like

Frenchette – Tribeca
Solid French bistro fare in a cozy setting was perfect for a cold rainy night with my kookie aunt who has more mainstream tastes. Cochon de lait was great, frites were fantastic, there was a fish soup that had pretty intense fish stock. Gnocchi with a cream pancetta sauce was fine, but a slight grainy texture. Steaks were perfectly cooked. Good baguette with excellent butter. Expensive wine list. Well made cocktails.

Ess-A-Bagel, whitefish salad on everything bagel with, lox, capers, onions and tomato. Great bagel, but I’m embarrassed to say how long we waited in line. If you go on a Saturday morning go early.

Andrew Bellucci’s Pizzeria, Astoria Queens
Fun outing with my sister’s family. This 12 or so block stretch of 30th Avenue is really charming at night with a crazy density of restaurants and bars lining both sides of the street.
Ordered the clam pie 48 hours in advance, as they fresh shuck them – 2 dozen clams on the large pie. Also had a good Caesar salad and the Vodka-Roni pizza with pepperoni and a swirl of vodka sauce. $5 per glass BYO wine or beer. Probably the best clam pie I’ve ever had, and I’ve eaten my share. Strong garlic, lemon and clean clam brine flavor with fresh parsley and oregano. Crisp but airy crust. Andrew sat down with us for 10 minutes and chatted about pizza, answered questions about his inspiration, techniques, etc. Nice guy, he really takes pride in his craft. On the way out the server gave us a few loaves of their homemade bread. It seems like you get a sort of VIP treatment if you order the clam pie. Feels like a pizzaiola at the top of his game. Quick subway ride from midtown.

Eataly, WTC
We caught the World Cup finals at Oculus Beer Garden on an outdoor screen by the WTC. Brisk but fun. Kids were hungry so we hit Eataly for lunch. Easy to please everyone and there is seating that overlooks the WTC memorial. Focaccia with porchetta and Stracciatella hit the spot.

Essex Pearl, Essex Market, Lower East Side
Seafood shop and restaurant. Charming space and great happy hour specials. $6 half dozen oysters, grilled prawn skewers for $12, $11 cocktails. Clams/oysters are served with a sweet hot sauce and fried shallots, a nice combo I haven’t seen elsewhere. Water spinach was good for some veggies. Garlic noodles with Lao sausage was solid if a tad mild. Saw a lobster roll go by that looked pretty nice.

10 Likes

wow that all looks awesome. Loving the looks of the clams shucked on top of the pizza! Were they cooked or raw?

Always bonus points for a blue cocktail.

great tips for my next trip - essex looks delish and fantastic prices for happy hour.

Well done sir!

2 Likes

The lobster rolls at Essex Pearl are indeed very good.

2 Likes

He said he cooks the pizza first adding a squirt of lemon, then adds the fresh shucked clams, then puts it back in for a minute or so, so the clams are barely cooked and not rubbery. 650 degree oven.

3 Likes

great move and no bullshit with the shells on the pizza…i wish i could do this sort of thing at home but it’s really way above my skill and equipment level but i don’t know any place in socal/nocal that comes close to how great that one is.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve eaten clam pies all over - Lombardis, Pasquale Jones and Motorino in NYC, Frank Pepe’s in CT, etc. and this is the best I’ve had. Pizzeria Mozza in LA had a good clam pie, don’t know if they still serve it. Delfina in SF does a nice rendition on red sauce.

Iv’e made them at home but my crust technique isn’t great.

1 Like

nice job finding your white … clam!

I don’t think mozza has it anymore, maybe it comes on a special…i should hit up delfina for sure. It’s a blind spot that needs to be corrected.

moreover Belluccci’s is gonna be a must stop in a few months.

Did you ever get your italian hoagie? can’t do it all!

What else do you like there @small_h ?

The salmon sashimi, which looks boring but is somehow not. And the mussels. I don’t eat meat, so I can’t speak to most of the menu, unfortunately. This is their second incarnation, and to be honest, I liked the first menu better - it was more far-ranging.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the intel, it all looks delicious!
We are in NYC end of January, good to have some recent reviews.

1 Like

For fresh-shucked-littleneck pizza, next time you’re up in Connecticut consider Zuppardi’s in West Haven. It’s convenient to I-95, and convenient to local seafood suppliers, too; clam pie reservations not required.

5 Likes

For a cold evening, this does look great.

1 Like

Oh that’s funny, my sister was asking Andrew for pizza recommendations convenient to I-95 because she cruises that way regularly from NJ to RI and he recommended Zuppardi’s. Thanks for reminding me, I’ll make a note of it now.

2 Likes

their house-made sausage is also great. Pretty big difference in crust between your photo and mine, I’m thinking it was due to oven temp, was it busy when you were there?

3 Likes