nyc dim sum

six of us at Golden Unicorn, no wait on a sunday at 11:30am(!) though every table on our floor was taken, carts not running, we ordered off printed menus. This was our second trip since the pandemic, much better than the first visit but the dim sum wasn’t hot and the food in general wasn’t up to pre-pandemic standards (which in all honesty, were never that high).

best dishes were shrimp shumai, salt and pepper shrimp, chicken feet, sticky rice and oddly, soup dumplings. Can not recommend ordering steamed pork buns or the triangular pork pies, two of our old favorites.

thinking about pings or maybe sunset park next time.

best,

1 Like

I’m not gonna say that it was outstanding, but we’ve been to Golden Palace in Dyker Hts. a couple of times with friends in the past several months and the carts were rolling, the food was fresh & there was a good variety of dishes coming thru. Lots of people were supplementing with dishes off the menu & they looked good as well. Hit the spot. Its at 1619 86th St (Brooklyn) & was written up on eattheworld.com about a year ago (before he moved to LA and stopped writing in NYC: http://www.eattheworldnyc.com/2021/03/golden-palace.html

I like Golden Unicorn. I don’t know. I just like it best in NYC Manhattan. I remember the line can be pretty long, like 45 min wait.
When I was young, I remember Shumei (pork dumplings often called) and beef cheung fun (steamed rice rolls) favorite. However, after I start making dim sum on my own, I have a much greater appreciation for steamed BBQ pork bun, so now it is one of the most important dish I use to gauge and judge a Dim Sum restaurant.
By the way, I just went to Yin Ji today. It is not bad, but it is both more expensive than Dim Sum restaurant cheung fun and it is not better. By no mean, I hate it, but I don’t see why I would want to keep going back.

1 Like

I can only dream about dim sum. I live remotely on outer Cape Cod. Boston has a decent Chinatown, but I usually indulge in noodles when I find myself lucky to be in the city. Many years ago, I was in San Fransisco visiting my brother who was stationed there in the Navy. We spent many hours stuffing ourselves with dim sum at a fantabulous restaurant I’ll never forget.

Has anyone tried Awesum Dimsum in Manhattan on East 23rd or near Times Square?

They got a mention in today’s Eater NY piece about a shortage of skilled dim sum chefs (sorry, still a newbie, can’t post a link).

haven’t been but like the way dim sum seems to be spreading over the city…I’ve been wanting to try one of the various locations of dim sum palace.

1 Like

we love steamed bbq pork buns, for some reason the filling was off and the bun was a little tough. suggest you give golden steamer on mott a try.

my D makes killer baked and steamed pork buns, I had to beg her to stop making them as she makes 24 in a batch…she has also managed to substitute tofu for pork in the baked buns, I think a lot of people wou;dn’t be able to tell the difference.

1 Like

do you have a trader joe’s anywhere nearby? in a pinch, we like their frozen dumplings and buns.

You’ve been to Tim Ho Wan, right? It’s been a while (I rarely eat inside during the pandemic and I’m usually low-carb to boot), but my feeling about them is that they do dim sum right.

1 Like

Tim Ho Wan in nyc didn’t live up to its hype

1 Like

I recently went to Red Farm, which was not only barely above average but grievously overpriced. Which made me miss THW, which is at least very good (especially the vegetable dumplings) and costs what it should cost.

2 Likes

Red Farm is a separate category, I wouldn’t put it in the regular dim sum pile. When I’ve eaten there previously it’s been very good though egregiously overpriced, but it has been a few years (pandemic plus).

I didn’t mean THW wasn’t good, just overhyped. I’ve had good siu mai there, but not terribly different than others, ditto cheung fun and so on.

1 Like

Red Farm is purported to be a separate category, but my experience there does not bear this out. Exhibit A: the famed Pac-Man dumplings. $18.95.

IMG_2161

2 Likes

Caters to a non-asian/W. Village clientele, food and pricing reflects that. Blahsville and especially for the price.

1 Like

So did Hakkasan (except for the West Village part), and they did a better job, imo. As did Chinatown Brasserie, which was also a Joe Ng place, no?

1 Like

Agreed, put a gun to my head and I’d choose Hakkasan over Red Farm although not an issue now since the former has shuttered.

Tbh, I generally try to avoid Chinese food in Manhattan save for a few restaurants, very few positive experiences.

My bar is almost definitely lower than yours. I’m happy with a rice roll from Joe’s or crab with ginger and scallion from Congee Village.

1 Like

Haha was spoiled for choices coming from LA. Definitely plan a trip to SGV next time you visit.

Also check out Yi Ji Shi Mo for rice roll. It came out tops for me during a weeklong rice roll shoot out. Warning - 0 ambiance & presentation.

Is that the tiny store front or the one with the dining room? I’ve been to the latter and love it. The former is also on my list. I would love to visit the SGV, but I can’t even drag myself to Flushing (although I got takeout from Asian Jewels once).

The one with the tiny store front.

It’s a hike to get anywhere in LA :persevere:.