GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

A vote here in favor of keeping a single thread. Easier to search one thread vs many.

Anyone been lately to the food court at the New World mall? I’m looking for a maximalist experience for a group of colleagues and myself. I’ve never been to this place, but it’s got the kind of infinite choice I’m looking for…so everyone can choose their own adventure, as it were.

I was there just this afternoon. If you’ll be a group of any size, you’ll have an easier time finding a good place to sit, and perhaps shorter waits for your food, if you arrive in late morning. From midafternoon through early dinnertime, it can be a zoo.

Zuppa at Veniero’s. Super boozy lol. Cannoli was average not quite like Isgro in South Philly and Modern in North End Boston. Those are 10 outta 10!

Speaking of 10’s……

Fish Cheeks steamed fish with garlic, herbs, and lime. Aroy mak!!! Very interesting observation a lot of these Thai places have Thai owners and cooks but the wait staff is super diverse young people. In contrast to Thai Town in Hollywood. These are super authentic dishes. Young NY’ers seem more open minded than young Angelenos from what I seen. Pretty cool I guess.

Bo Ky’s duck is pretty tasty. Especially with this……

These table side chile sauces. I wish there was picked garlic. Skip the nuoc cham my friends. I am going to pass on the broth here tbh for the hu tieu. Get yourself a plate of duck or a mixed plate with offal over rice and dump those sauces on top.

Pork chop rice at Taiwan Pork Chop. It’s fine for the low price point, really you are here for the rice that gets soaked with pork drippings/ground pork with pickled mustard greens.

5 Likes

Atoboy

Excited to give this place a try. Mixed reviews from Redditors at foodnyc.

The uni is from Maine. This was a nice amuse. Personally prefer Santa Barbara though.

Yellowtail.

Crab.

Pork Ribs.

Rice and banchan.

Fried chicken!!!

Skipped dessert. Had the Basque cheesecake at Grace St in Ktown.

I thought it was a good meal but wasn’t too thrilled with the main offerings of lamb, skate wing, and pork ribs lol

3 Likes

Whose attention, though?

We started this thread to have a single NYC discussion we could keep going for the year.

Part of the point (imo anyway) was to boost (and consolidate) sharing from the occasional post or group meal writeup to an ongoing conversation (which seems to be working so far, though maybe it’s more posting and lurking than discussion just yet).

Re splitting off topics, anyone who really wants a specific thread can start one (there are old ones for dim sum and Chinatown already, Bk pizza, probably others I’m forgetting — but that’s also worth considering: the more threads, the more splintered the discussion becomes again, unless there is cross-posting discipline).

If this gets unwieldy at some point, we can certainly create a new thread, but WFD gets to 500+ in some months, so 150 doesn’t seem like we are there yet.

One of the nice things about HO is that the search is actually functional vs Chowhound, plus there are filter and summary features, so it’s easier to find something even on a longer thread.

(And all that said, if folks still really want to break this up monthly or quarterly, of course we can do it. )

2 Likes

LA FTC does a monthly thread.

Maybe start a Q2 thread in April and go monthly in the future if necessary?

How did you like the cheesecake?

1 Like

I liked it but I even like the cheap stuff so I am not the one to ask. Haven’t tried Eileens or Mah-Ze-Dahr which I hear have some of the best cheesecakes in the city. Never had Juniors but I would go to Juniors soley because I was a Notorious BIG fan as a teenager lol

Any Momo recommendations? It would be my first time trying them

There are several momo carts now in the main Jackson Heights stretch. If you want more than momos (like thukpa), last restaurant I ate them at was Khampa, time before was Phayul. Lot of variance in fillings, thickness of dough, tibetan vs nepali, and so on. The chutney is important.

Also a word in favor of New York Food Court. A little scruffier than NWM, it boasts a number of great stands with new ones opening regularly. Not as large and not as crowded. Would be happy to give a few specific recs.

If you look up the flushing crawls last year, there are lots of descriptions and pictures.

Please do!

Billy’s Hot Dog Cart, Cental Park West and W. 93rd.

Super friendly guy! Gave me a free hot dog, chips, and a drink after he asked me where I was from. I just bought one hot dog and got all of that extra. The other thing that makes this special is he makes an onion sauce. In retrospect I should have only got it with onion sauce. Back when I was a kid I always associated NYC with dirty water dog carts. Seems like halal has pretty much replaced the hot dog cart. Billy has been doing this for 30 years. If you happened to be in the area come and give him some love/support. Kinda reminds me of Ray’s Candy Store. Ray and Billy is what makes NYC great!

Had to stop by Zabar’s!

Great misfortune is these appetizing places have bad bagels, the good bagel places have average smoked fish, and it’s a crime for Katz to be serving it’s pastrami on that bread. What Philly does right is they give a shit about the bread, the good hoagie and steak places use Sarcones or Liscio’s or make their own in house. Shots fired lol

Upside Pizza, Nolita

It’s a pretty solid slice! Wouldn’t say it’s a destination like the three L’s in Brooklyn (L’industrie, Lucali, Luigi’s) but a solid neighborhood spot.

8 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Compiling an ’ eat-list ’ for an upcoming food-crawl

(post deleted by author)

This is the place that’s famous for it’s tea selection right? Aw shucks, i wanted to go but I can drink from High mountain teas @ Te or home.

Correct! Or go to the appropriately named Physical Graffitea nearby