NY Manhattan Chinatown: Dim Sum and Knives Suggestions

Chan Chi Kee knives

http://www.chanchikee.com/ChineseKnives.html

Let me answer in a couple of ways.

The one I currently use the most is:
KF110X carbon steel large size slicer (it is a pretty large size knife about 23 cm X 12 cm or 9 inch X 4.7 inch)

However, if I am to recommend to most home cooks, then I probably will pick
KF130X (carbon steel) or KF19X (stainless steel).
Although they are stated to be small slicers, they are really of normal size to most home cooks. The one from your link is KF1303 I believe.

All of these are thin blade knives, so the exceed at most kitchen tasks, but never use them to cut bone or really hard materials.

Thanks. I think that you are right about the sizes. Iā€™m sure I would want the smaller model. Iā€™m not going to do anything before our next visit to Manhattan, but I wonder if you know anything about this internet seller: http://www.chefsmall.net/CCK-Small-Cleaver-Small-Slicer-KF1303-S

I have never bought from Chefsmall, but I have looked into it before. The way I see. Its advantages over brick and mortar stores and even chefknivestogo are:

1. Slightly cheaper per knife (if not include shipping fee)
  2. Huge selection
    However, they are shipping the knives all the way from China, so
  3. It is likely to be more expensive including the shipping fee ā€“ unless you buy many knives
  4. Long wait time
  5. Difficult to return if you have problem.

The way I see it is that it is best to buy the CCK knife from a brick and mortar store. CCK knives are great, but CCKā€™s quality control is not as good as German and Japanese brand, so it is very helpful to look at the knives before buying. If you cannot buy the knife you want from a brick and mortar store, then I think it is easier to buy the knife either from Chefknivestogo.com or from call the Toronto CCK store for a shipment. Chefknivestogo will be cheaper (because of the smaller shipping fee), faster, but the Toronto store will have every size and sharp you want. The challenge is that it can be difficult to negotiate a way to pay a Canada store, but I have heard from several people that they are willing to take orders from US.

http://www.chanchikee.com/toronto.htm

Also, since CCK knives have become much more expensive now, the Japanese versions have become relatively more affordable ā€“ in a weird way.

Good advice. Thanks.

Went to Manhattan Chinatown again. Went to eat at 4 places, so much so that I regret eating this much.

1. Went to Golden Unicorn again for Dim Sum. Still good.
  2. Went to Sun Hing Lung again for street steamed rice roll. Still good.
  3. Went to H.K. Wonton Garden on Mulberry Street for wonton noodle. I donā€™t think it is nearly as good as Wonton Noodle Garden, but it wasnā€™t bad by any mean.
  4. Went to Shanghai Cafe Dexluxe. Long story short, I tried the soup dumplings and am very happy.

@bbc
Finally, I have found some reasonably priced Chan Chi Kee knives at L & J Restaurant Manufacturing Import on Bowery Street. KF1102 is only $78. This is cheaper than the few other stores I went to this week and last week, and even cheaper than Chefknivestogo (KF1103 for $100). However, I want to point out a few yellow flags (wonā€™t call them red flags).
I have bought a KF1102 from the official CCK store from Canada 2-3 years ago, and this new one I bought has two differences. First, while the spine thickness of this new knife tapers from heel to tip, it does not look to taper as much as the one I bought from Canada. Second, the compression rivet on this new knife isnā€™t compressed tightly to seal the gap as the one I got from Canada. (see photo 3 ā€“ you can see the gap). This really isnā€™t a huge deal to be honest. My very best Tanaka Japanese knife has gaps in the handle too.

I am not really saying these deviations make the knife bad. What I worry is that ā€œIs this a genuine CCK or a copy cat? Especially because it is sold cheaper than many other places. :)ā€ Overall, it looks very real. The paper package looks exactly the same, the stamped logo looks very similar, the dimension is similar, the weight is within 5 gram of my Canada bought knifeā€¦etc. If I have to bet I will say it is real, but I wonā€™t know it until I start sharpening and using it.

Hi Chem,

Iā€™ll definitely look into L & J on our next trip to Manhattan. After all, where we stay is just a few doors away!
And Iā€™m really pleased that you liked the soup buns at Shanghai Cafe. We drop in there at least once whenever weā€™re in Manhattan.

Sharpened the knife just now. Based on its performance and the feel, it seems like a real CCK knife. Good luck.

Thanks! Iā€™ll be sure to check them out when weā€™re there in October.

By the way, what angle do you sharpen the CCKs at? 15 degrees?

Yes. 15 degree both side (total inclusive angle of 30 degree). In my experience, 10o is a bit too acute for CCK knives. The edge (10o) wonā€™t hold too long, so you end up having to re-sharpening the knives too often. They do usually hold up quite well in that ~15 degree range.

I tried both Shanghai Cafe and Joeā€™s Shanghai. I like both of them very much. They are a little different and good at different aspects for the Xiao Long Bao (soup dumplings). In my opinion, Shanghai Cafe Crab Xiao Long Bao are slightly better at the bun construction and also crab favor is more noticeable. The soup inside Joeā€™s Shanghaiā€™s Xiao Long Bao has a more intensive flavor and mouthful (more gelatin feel). Both are very nice.

Oh yes, I have also been to Korin twice (Korin is not in Chinatown, but thanks for pointing it out that it is ā€œcloseā€ to Chinatown). A store which is actually cheaper than I once thought. The prices there for various things are actually quite fair. I am not saying they sell inexpensive things. Rather, their products are not sold at a higher price point than most other places.

Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Went to Joy Luck Palace. I am happy. I feel its quality is no worse than Goldem Unicorn and the selection seems to be a little more. Thanks.

Iā€™m looking forward to trying Joy Luck Palace. And now Iā€™ll make sure to get to Joeā€™s.

Iā€™m glad you liked it! I need to get back there. Iā€™ve never been to Golden Unicorn or Jing Fong. I usually go to Dim Sum Go Go or Nom Wah or Red Egg, none of them cart places (although Nom Wah used to be, back in the day).

I have not been to Nom Wah. I know Nom Wah has a very rich history. I havenā€™t been to Jing Fong neither. Maybe it is just me, but I personally consider Golden Unicorn and Joy Luck to be one or two steps above Dim Sum Go Go. I like the fact that Dim Sum Go Go has no wait line, but I donā€™t like their dough/skin. Too much tapiaco starch if I am correct. Too sticky.

:slight_smile: I donā€™t need cart but I donā€™t hate cart neither. Probably the nicest Dim Sum places I have been too none have carts, but I really donā€™t mind carts at all.

I feel pretty much the same way you do about Dim Sum Go Go. I donā€™t ask too much of it, and thus, I am not disappointed. Red Egg is fancier (and more expensive, naturally). They have half price dim sum at happy hour. Or they did last time I was there - now the website just says ā€œspecial discountā€. Anyway, itā€™s a good deal.

I much prefer the Dim Sum in Brooklyn ā€¦ East Harbor is decent; get there early on a weekend morning.
The Chinatown out by Homecrest/Ave U is also worth checking out as is the 8th Ave stretch along the 50ā€™s.
Parking in all locations is sane (let Waze lead and be amazed).

Thanks. So Brooklyn parking is better? Anyway, I have tried a few Dim Sum restaurant Manhattan. They are pretty good: Golden Unicorn, Jing Fong, Joy Luck. They are all pretty good in my opinion. I havenā€™t tried Nom Wah yet.

Going outside the ā€œcityā€ can be quite fascinating.
There are few"tourists" ā€¦ foreign/domestic ā€¦ in the outer boroughs.
I simply prefer the cooking done here, which caters to a ā€œlocalā€ crowd.
And yes, parking is far easier.

I would do dim sum gogo (no carts, dimsum all the time) as well as oriental gardenband red egg (not traditional), and hakkasan (not chinatown) for their dimsum brunch before Nom Wah which has gotten meh to negative feedback for a while. Yes itā€™s old and well known but that doesnā€™t = better

1 Like