NY Manhattan Chinatown: Dim Sum and Knives Suggestions

Talking about joes shanghai. The xlb at joes are similar to the ones at Taiwan cafe in boston, at least as of several years ago, if that’s any help

Ya know, sometimes as an omniscient entity The Google is just shy of complete accuracy :slight_smile:
Regardless it’s a quick walk east from the 1 train and you’re in the middle of chinatown.
I actually prefer the farthest east section where the F train stops, over on Grand st near bowery and south/east of there towards two bridges and such, more obscure shops with few tourists and zero knockoff handbags.
Lucky king bakery on Grand is always a stop for me and there are tons of tiny spots i have never even gotten to…!

I don’t know if I’ve ever had the XLB at Taiwan Cafe, but now I’ll have to renedy that. And I suppose that, in the spirit of research, a visit to Joe’s would not be out of place. The problem is, one can only eat so many times in any one day.

Hester at Forsyth is unmistakably Chinatown. As you move east, the Chinese places thin out.

Initially, I want to go there too, but the way I looked at he MTA subway map I thought I need to change more rides. I probably didn’t do it right. I will revisit the MTA subway schedule and map again.

Thanks for the recommendation of Lucky King. I saw many bakery, and I couldn’t tell one from another, so I just went with the one has the best looking egg tarts. :stuck_out_tongue: I even forgot the name of that bakery. Ha.

Oh crap. I must have meant another street, or possibly I just confused myself.

I’ve lived on Grand St. for about 13 years (and in Manhattan for more than 30), and I still get turned around in that Pell/Doyers/Mott area.

Probably just easier to walk east to F train on 34th from Penn than deal with transferring and such…
Gotta say the basic chinatown no name bakeries all make a great egg tart, may take concerned effort to find an especially crummy one :wink:

The B or the D will put CK closer to the center of the action, at Chrystie & Grand.

I should say I want one with the flaky crust and not the dense cookie crust.

Basically, I prefer this type of crust:

Not this type:

What is center of action? Dim Sum? Knives? Egg tarts? Or Pigeons?

There’s more of everything Chinatown in the immediate vicinity of Grand & Chrystie than two blocks further east, at Essex, which is where the F stop is. There is a bakery at the latter corner (it’s where I get my yearly moon cake), but no dim sum or knives that I’m aware of. Not too many pigeons either, come to think of it.

1 Like

This is my favorite knife store. But it’s Japanese, not Chinese. And fancy. I just browse.

http://korin.com/site/home.html

Oh god. I browse Korin knife store (online) too, but I have never been to the physical store. Now that you mentioned it, it seems to be in the approximate area.

I don’t know whether these guys have a decent knife selection (it’s where I get whisks & stuff like that), but they are pretty cheap, and also not far from Chinatown - Lafayette just north of Houston.

http://www.winsupply.com/index.php

This is apparently the place that carries some CCK knives. I intend to visit them this fall.

Saturday, the meters are in effect and you’re limited to 1 or 2 hrs. Some parking spots don’t allow daytime parking, except Sunday.

:slight_smile: I begin to think it is just simpler for me to wait for my next Toronto trip and get a wider selection of CCK knive sup there (from the official CCK store)

If I were to buy just one CCK knife, which one would you recommend?

I suppose that what I really mean is, which of your CCK knives is the one that you use the most? Is it this one:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html