NY Manhattan Chinatown: Dim Sum and Knives Suggestions

I feel like I should go to Nom Wah just once to say “I have eaten here”. That being said, I haven’t done it just yet.

We ate at Nom Wah five or six years ago. It was pretty good then.
As far as Hakkasan is concerned, the food is terrific, imaginative, beautifully presented. But the noise level in the restaurant is so high that I’ll never go back. If noise is not an issue for you, you’ll probably love it.

Thanks. I have never been to neither. Noise usually is not a problem for me.

Just came back from the famous Nom Wah. It was packed. The wait staffs were nice. The foods were very average. I ordered: Siu Mai (steamed pork dumplings), Shrimp dumplings, Beef Cheung Fun (beef steamed rice rolls) and Char Siu Bao (steamed BBQ pork bun). The Beef Cheung Fun was good. The Siu Mai and Shrimp dumplings were average to below average. The Char Siu Bao is definitely below average for me.

I think I prefer Golden Unicorn, Joy Luck and Jing Fong better.

We hope to try Joy Luck Palace when we’re there next week.

Well sorry, but that’s what i’ve heard about the place for years now. Certainly more options to explore!
Did you do dim sum gogo yet? No cart ladies but they do dim sum all day too. I’m a fan of the vegetarian sampler and their steamed rice roll, but i know the duck dumplings are popular. Dunno if their XLB are worthwhile but theyyon the menu too

1 Like

I tried DimSum GoGo, but I didn’t like it. I thought the warper/skin are too chewy for most of the them – probably too much tapioca starch for my likening. No long line there which is good.

So we finally got to Joy Luck Palace. We had Siu Mai, Har Gow, Char Siu Bao, chicken feet, tripe, and a bunch of things whose name I don’t know. My wife and I thought it was pretty good. We went with some cousins who live in Portland, OR. They thought it was just fair, compared to what they get in Portland. And they admit that Vancouver has better Chinese food than Portland. Still and all, I liked it. We also had spring rolls, which I thought were just fair.

As far as Nom Wah is concerned, they have opened up a new place called Nom Wah Nolita on Delancy/Bowery. We chanced upon it while walking in the area, so I tried a few dishes. In short, I cannot recommend the place. The dishes are made, or perhaps heated, to order. But they weren’t quite warm enough when they were served. They had too much MSG for my taste, and otherwise were rather mediocre. Next time we’ll have to visit Flushing again.

Since there is some interest in Shanghai cooking, I figure I should mention that a group of us had a very good lunch at Shanghai You Garden in Flushing this past month. Just about everything was very good & there are a lot of interesting dishes on the pretty solid menu. Its on 40th Road off Prince (around the corner from Fu Run). Looks like a store front place from the outside but the inside is long and opens up toward the back into a clean, modern dining room with excellent, friendly service. Worth going, if anyone is looking for a step up (or two) from Joe’s.

1 Like

I had Dim Sum in a few cities. In my experience, Toronto/Vancouver have vastly more high end Dim Sum restaurants – nicer setting, Dim Sum made in fine details, great service, and also cost more. So Lai Wah Heen and Crown Princess (from Toronto) are a whole level above anything in Manhattan Chinatown, but Lai Wah Heen et. al also cost a lot more. What I found is that the mid range Toronto dim sum restaurants are no better than the mid range Manhattan dim sum. For example I don’t think Rol San (Toronto) is better than Joy Luck Palace or Jing Fong or Golden Unicorn.

In term of Flushing, I like Jade Asian

Good to know. I have never been to this place.

So I visited the L & J store on the Bowery and asked for “CCK knives.” The salesman told me that they didn’t have any. So I asked for “Chan Chi Kee.” After correcting my gwai-lo pronunciation, he had a good laugh about calling them “CCK” knives. They only had one model, one of the large ones, and I was looking for something smaller. So I ordered the KF 1303 from Chefknivestogo, and two days later it arrived at the hotel. It will be a while before I try it, because we are still travelling, but the visual impression is very impressive.

1 Like

Oh yes. CCK is only what people here on internet call it, probably just easy of pronunciation or just plain abbreviation. I mean. On Chowhound, people routinely call Le Creuset as LC, and All Clad as AC. Pretty sure that most sale clerks would be confused if we ask them for LC and AC fry pan.

Is that right? Yeah. They don’t carry the small KF130X series. I think it is because the KF130X series is considered to be home style. The larger ones are the restaurant style. I am glad that you were able to get hold of the KF1303 at the end. Have fun and hope it will work out for you.

So I’ve been using the KF 1303 for a couple of weeks now. It’s sharp, comfortable to use, and I do like it. But I prefer the chef knife/gyuto model, simply because I’m more used to it. I’m not unhappy to have the KF 1303, even though I won’t be using it on a daily basis. When my daughter is helping out in the kitchen, she really likes using it.

How do you like the Glestain?

Well, everyone is a little different. It is still good that you get to play around with it. It can be your backup knife. I kind of switch alot. I can be using a gyuto as my main knife for 6 months, and then using a CCK Chinese knife as my main knife for another 6 months.

I like the Glestain so far. It isn’t really a big jump from a regular gyuto to this Glestain. I haven’t had the chance to really give it a sharpening. I usually like to sharpen up even a brand new knife just to get a very refine edge. I just haven’t found the time and energy to do it. After I did, then I will really know its potential.