November 2019 Openings and Closings [Boston and New England]

Useful to understand this. It’s sounding like the food market competition is going to heat up when 99 Ranch lands in Quincy in early 2020.

1 Like

Margarita’s Lexington is closing tomorrow. No great loss except it is the one place walking distance of the office. And very occasionally convenience outweighs deliciousness.

3 Likes

Ranch 99 supermarkets might have food courts but just renting out to some restaurants. I wouldn’t expect too much from the prepared foods at a Ranch 99 (nobody really goes there for it) but if you cook any asian food that’s a great place to shop.

3 Likes

Went to the 99 Asian Supermarket up in Malden today. Wow! A little overwhelming, because I am not familiar with all the various foods and drinks. It was taking too long and I covered 1/10 of the store (will have to return for a second trip in a few weeks).
Bought a lot of condiments, bean and rice vermicelli noodles, and a LIVE fish. Haven’t seen that in a while. The guy took out a fish from their pool, and cleaned it up for me. Talk about fresh! I know what I’m having for dinner tomorrow. Can’t wait for the one in Quincy to open.

4 Likes

cool, glad you liked it. imo it’s the best Asian market around. I wish the little food court had better options.

1 Like

Posted on WFD the fish I bought there. Yum!

a hunan restaurant is opening in the old bubor cha cha location on beach street in chinatown

you mean hong kong market in malden?

Haha, yeah, I guess I do. Was this a Cmart at one point, or just a Super 88? Have gone to this location for a long time, since before all of the development out that way. But I guess names escape me. Thanks for the correction!

Apparently 99 Ranch has now filed a trademark infringement suit against the 99 in Malden. I’d suspect that they’re going to win. I certainly fell for thinking they were the same thing!

1 Like

Yeah, even if not winning big money, it’s a lot easier for the owners of 99 to just pick a new name rather than fight the legal battle. My personal take is I think they were trying to confuse the public; I think it’s more likely it’s a play on 88, which was the more well-known market at the time (9 is also ‘good luck number’ in Chinese). Ironically with 88 going out of business, maybe they can takeover the 88 name. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

yeah. it’s the similarities in the logo rather than the name itself that really make it seem like this is the case.