November 2019 Openings and Closings [Boston and New England]

The Boston Globe reports that Frank McClelland (of the late L’Espalier) has now opened the casual-concept Frank in Beverly. Sit-down dining as well as prepared foods.

I’m intrigued though it will probably take me some time to get there.

https://farmtofrank.com/

4 Likes

Does anyone know anything about Finesse Pastry Shop on Somerville Ave near Union Square, Somerville? I just noticed it for the first time driving by, and although I am not sure when it opened, there is no mention of it on this board yet so I figured I’d start in this thread with a query.

1 Like

there should be a mention of it somewhere here, I think I posted a bit about it opening somewhere ca. the summer of 2018 when I lived closer to there. I went there once and the baked goods were fine but not mind blowing. Though to be fair it’s macarons that are their big thing & I am sort of lukewarm on the macaron in general so mileage may vary. It’s a bright, clean and nice little space that’s mostly just the bakery counter as I remember and the counter service was friendly the one time that I went.

2 Likes

You’re so right! I searched the thread only, not the whole board. Thanks! Agree, macarons are not enough for me to get excited. Now, if it were kouign amann…

1 Like

Finesse also has a little outpost in the Boston Public Market, and I tried their macarons. They have some fun flavors, but I actually found them to be a tad too sweet. I also think their cookie/biscuit part was a little denser than the airy, almost melt in your mouth that I prefer. Admittedly though most US macarons I’ve had don’t get the biscuit part quite right in my opinion.

3 Likes

My old coworker mentioned that he heard Nahita closed last night. The closing part did not surprise me, only the when part did.

3 Likes

That space might be cursed

Couldn’t decide if this was worth a new thread, even though it’s not a confirmed Nov opening date. Wicked Local just reported that a 99 Ranch (west coast Asian market chain) is taking over the Big Y space in North Quincy.

I’m bummed that it’s not a Trader Joe’s or Market Basket, but I’m kind of interested in what they have compared to the local Asian markets. I’d personally love to see a better selection of broader Asian goods (ie, Japanese, Korean, Southeast Asian, etc), but I’ve never been to a 99 Ranch so not sure what to expect. They are also opening right next door to the newer C-Mart so the competition will be fierce.

3 Likes

The rent is way too high. The restaurant who opened Nahita had to work through the Liquid Art House owner to get access to the lease and the liquor license, and those numbers are crazy. So much potential with that space but so many challenges.

3 Likes

I’ve been to the 99 in Everett, fwiw, and have always thought that it’s way better than the Cmart in Malden. The produce is a cut above, the fish market side is cleaner and doesn’t smell bad like C-Mart’s and they do seem to have a broader range of products especially from the Southeast Asian side. I’ve gotten chili sauces, srirachas and oyster sauces here that I’ve never seen at CMart.

1 Like

At first I thought you meant Everett, MA and I was wondering that would be such an odd location, and then I realized West Coast…

That’s good to know! It’s a huge space, so I hope they do keep it clean and spacious rather than cramming every corner with a product that so many local Chinese markets do. I saw a friend cited that it’s expected to open in January 2020.

1 Like

actually I just checked and the 99 market is in Malden, not Everett. (Mass!). It’s right near the town line between the two, on Broadway. But now that I look closer that market is 99 Asian Supermarket, not 99 Ranch so I guess it’s a different thing…

1 Like

Hmm…sounds like trademark lawsuit on the horizon!

Coppersmith is closing per The Globe: “South Boston’s Coppersmith (40 W. Third St. at A Street) will shutter in early January, and its building will be repurposed. The restaurant plans to host several farewell soirees in the upcoming weeks, including a New Orleans-style feast prepared by Revelry Food Truck every Tuesday. Visit on Friday, Nov. 22, for a Friendsgiving party with deep-fried stuffing balls and pie; Hell Night on Wednesday, Dec. 11, and Friday, Dec. 13, featuring spicy food and cocktails; an Ugly Sweater fiesta on Friday, Dec. 20 (with cash prizes for most hideous garb); and a New Year’s Day brunch complete with hydrating IV stations. Pajamas are encouraged.”

2 Likes

oRanch 99 markets back in California are great (and huge) with a wide selection of Asian “stuff” ranging from produce, meat, live fish, condiments - a little bit like H-Mart but just better and a wider selection (though I have to say that I find both H-Marts in Boston area underwhelming compared to other H-Marts( not a great selection and often low quality on produce, fish and meat)

3 Likes

More intel on 99 Ranch here (paywall if you have exceeded the limit on free articles). Sounds enticing.

1 Like

If this is a true Natick-Style-Wegmans with prepared foods - a place to get an authentic Asian style lunch - I would make the drive down to Quincy.

1 Like

I was confused as well. But online, looking at the 99 Asian Supermarket - what a fish market! An entire aisle of fresh fish - I was never there and plan on making a trip there soon! Love fresh fish… and the prices!!

1 Like

The article reports that 99 Ranch won’t have its “hot deli” feature for awhile, with Chinese BBQ and dim sum. Apparently that’s complicated to set up.

The article also says Kam Man Food market in Quincy is already known for its prepared foods, such as Chinese BBQ, a Hong Kong style bakery, and a hot food bar. Never been myself.

2 Likes

Eh, Kam Man’s prepared food is ok. It’s evolved over the years since Kam Man has been open and I can’t say I’ve loved it. Some people really like their Chinese BBQ, but I only find it ok. It’s certainly better than a drive into Chinatown if you’re coming from the south of the city. I haven’t checked out their prepared foods recently, but they used to have a larger selection and I think it’s shrunken over the years. With the plethora of Asian eateries where you can do actual take out in the neighborhood, I don’t see why you would opt for Kam Man’s prepared foods unless you were literally driving on fumes and couldn’t get to Wollaston or North Quincy, or even restaurants in that same strip mall.

3 Likes