Notable Openings - Houston

I guess we’re several months away from an opening but it will be notable if it comes to pass… A Heights realtor and vlogger is claiming Ford Fry of State of Grace will be taking over the Bernadine’s/Hunky Dory space.

Possibly another location of State of Grace? but since Fry has multiple concepts in Atlanta I believe, I’m thinking a different concept?

1 Like

I look forward to seeing what he has up his sleeve!

1 Like

Who has been to the new King’s??

Not me. I’ve just had too much on my, er, uh, plate.

There was another biergarten open in the Heights just a little before this one. Haven’t checked on what kind of reviews they’re getting.

The guy has some credentials but 'wanna bao? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Perry’s is moving into space previously occupied by California Pizza Kitchen on W. Gray across the side street from the River Oaks Theater. I have often thought of trying their Friday pork chop (like $15 for their massive chop) but haven’t yet.

I first met Triola at Azzarelli’s years ago. Since then he’s had quite a few ventures open and close. He’s certainly persistent!

Well actually I see this article is from several years ago, I received an email today that he is opening Triola’s Kitchen, may be just a name change.

Look who has reopened post Harvey! It looks great and with a bigger seating area. I’m going over soon to support them.

1 Like

I didn’t even know they were closed.

Hmmmmm. Free appetizers…checking my schedule here…

I find this new (and only) poutine restaurant intriguing. A lawyer goes to Canada and falls in love with poutine. He returns to his Houston home and tells his sister of this amazing food in the frozen north. Together they recreate the experience and open a dedicated restaurant on or around June 1, 2018.

Tubs Poutine

Bryan Caswell’s house was struck by lightening last night, and fortunately no one was hurt and the resulting fire was contained. Of note, he and his wife were at Reef at the time, so I guess they really are working on reopening it. The website says late November.

Wow! It was pretty tame out here where I live.

1 Like

@shrinkrap had quite a show from a midtown hotel last night. Gotta feel bad for the Caswells though. If you watch the video, the reporter doesn’t recognize them. :joy:

1 Like

I guess this qualifies as notable. Sounds interesting to me anyway.

This is the intersection of Westheimer and Fountainview. There’s a Chinese restaurant there, a karaoke bar and Zabak’s, famous for their falafel, in that center.

I just came here to post this! I am totally jazzed! I discovered Peking Duck late in life and it’s a real treat to get the duck at Fung’s Kitchen. The history behind this one is amazing. I’ll be going when it calms down. Looks like Westheimer @ Fountain View.

I tried out the new Classic Diner in the space on Washington Ave that was recently Benjy’s. I like the clean bright retro dining room. The menu has an Asian flair due to the chef’s Asian heritage. I had the taramasalata starter, the Greek fish roe dip, served with pita slices, and loved it. The crispy rice salad was less exciting but was a riot of flavors. A little too much raw ginger for me. My friend who is a gravlax fan got the house smoked salmon and said it was very good. We shared the Kennebec fries, double cooked. They needed more salt and some pepper, both of which are missing from all the tables. Ditto Chalupa or some other appropriate hot sauce. I mean, it’s a diner, right?

I’d like to try the breakfast, open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. or so. Full bar.

Classic All-Day Diner

1 Like

That should read Cholula of course.

1 Like

So ‘classic’ refers to the decor but not the menu??? Kinda strange, it strikes me. Love the stools at the counter! I wanna sit there.

I looked at the breakfast menu first and thought it was pretty short for a diner menu. Then I looked at the all-day menu - wow.

i guess ‘carefully curated’ would be the term?

Still, I like Local Foods so much I bet I’d like this.

I wonder if the s&p was on a condiments bar? That’s the way they do it at LF as I remember. That’s counter service, though.

Thanks for the very early review.

I’m having a moment. VooDoo Donuts of Portland, OR and
Killen’s of Pearland, TX are both opening on Washington Ave soon. If you see Killen ask him to please keep the Hickory Hollow Hot Tots with chicken gravy dipping sauce (Jalapeno Potato Puffs) on his menu since he’s keeping some of the HH fare.

Life is indeed good.

https://www.khou.com/article/life/food/mmmm-voodoo-doughnuts-making-its-way-to-houston/285-fabe99ee-a3db-4582-a344-3c78e4450922

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2019/3/25/ronnie-killen-to-open-comfort-food-restaurant-in-the-heights?

1 Like

I don’t know whether to put this under patio, sandwiches or new restaurants, but I like the patio so maybe I’ll remember it has one if I put it here.

Rather, it’s new so I’ll put it here.

EaterHouston’s update on Carmelo’s.