Northern California/Napa/Santa Rosa Fires

Thank you for the update.

It’s turned out to be the deadliest Blaze in California history.:cry::cry::sob:

Absolutely heartbreaking.

So many dreams have died in the flames. So many homes, people. And you can probably tell from my handle, this is a region I have visited many times and love. It is heartbreaking. Calistoga has now been evacuated.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity (and if it’s been posted I apologize) do they know the cause of the fires? Is there a “suspicious” element involved or are they pointing towards just the nature of living in high forest fire areas?

Here’s a timelapse video that shows the fires starting on Sunday night.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-northern-california-fires-live-satellite-images-show-fires-pop-up-1507585295-htmlstory.html

I’d say that this probably rules out arson, because so many started in such a short time. To me, it points to power lines going down and transformers exploding from the high winds.

Your comment about “so many started in such a short time” was the last official report I had heard, which led me to believe in arson as a potential cause. Given the gravity of the situation I didn’t want to come right out with my suspicion but you just confirmed it for me. Thanks for the info. Prayers to those affected.

If it was arson, this is the most coordinated act of terrorism since 9/11. That timelapse shows fires starting dozens of miles apart at nearly the same time.

1 Like

(I wasn’t able to watch it says I need to update my flash viewer)

f*cking Flash…

2 Likes

On my iPad and quoting is hard. Last I heard they do not have a cause yet.

1 Like

Amazing things happening in California

Brian Kobler
Kobler Estate Winery
If anyone needs clean drinking water please let me know. I have filtered water at the winery and can deliver 200 gallons at a time in my truck.
Fresh Catch, one of the FIRST Bay Area companies to not only call for fire victim donations, but actually collect and deliver them.
URGENT NEED FOR RESPIRATORS: Our son and his biz partner, Jessy, are delivering and unloading truckloads of donations in the heart of the smoke filled areas of Napa County.
Does anyone in Marin have extra respirators that they could purchase from you, or has anyone seen any in store? They desperately need them in order to continue to help those less fortunate. They will come to you on their way through Marin to Napa to collect. Every store they have tried along the way is sold out!
And so many more
Restaurants offering to meals
Drs offering services
Pharmacies
clothing drives … too many to mention

UPDATE!!!
"A beautiful soul named Michaela responded with such generosity that our hearts are overflowing with gratitude. Once I properly identify this earthly angel, I will share her full name.
TYSM, benevolent woman. You did a good deed for more people than you may realize.
***Jessy and Austin are on their way to Napa as we speak. #ittakesavillage "

“WANT TO HELP?: lots of you have been asking what you can do. 2 things - 1) a lot of people have lost their homes or can’t be in Napa area because of the air quality. If you’re fortunate to have a 2nd home away from the Bay Area ( Tahoe / central coast etc) please consider offering it. There’s lots of families with small kids who need to get to cleaner air. Some friends have already & I’m extremely grateful (PM me if you’d like to offer this). 2). Donate what you can to Red Cross”

5 Likes

Unfortunately I didn’t see this until 1/2 hr ago. However, altho many listed businesses are only taking donations Fri or thru Sat, there are a few that have opened donation drop-off sites for the foreseeable future. So check this entire article out, and please be generous if you can donate goods:

Updated: East Bay food businesses helping those affected by North Bay fires
By Sarah Han EBay Express, Oct. 10, 2017

Here is a list of some of the East Bay restaurants, bars and food businesses that are collecting donations, raising money or sending supplies to people who’ve been affected by the North Bay wildfires:
http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/10/10/east-bay-food-businesses-helping-affected-north-bay-fires/

1 Like

Nearly 15,000 people were evacuated to Marin last night and more needs are arising every minute. BayMarin has officially become a Marin County Evacuation Donation/Distribution Center and is working to meet the needs around the county.
Below is all of our current needs:
New blankets
New pillows
Cots
New pack-and-plays
Gift cards
Face masks
Non-perishable, ready to eat food
If you can’t get to a store we’ve created an Amazon Wish List (https://www.amazon.com/…/3DXVBIP6QYUJU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws…) for supplies that can be shipped to our Student Center.
You can also donate online and select the “Fire Relief” fund (https://my.e360giving.com/g3/h/).
Please bring donations to the Student Center:
160 N San Pedro - San Rafael, CA 94903

2 Likes

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
Chron article has posted that the major NBay orgs are saying they have enough donations and to please NOT keep donating supplies. It’s not so much that evacuees don’t need them, as it is they have a lot already donated but are now struggling with the logistics of getting supplies to where people are staying! Makes sense, since keeping track of the suddenly homeless is very difficult.

Chron article had some helpful “other” suggestions:

Agencies such as the Santa Rosa Fire Department and the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds have all echoed [donated supplies received], posting requests that people no longer drop off goods at their locations. Instead, many of the shelters are working with partners to get necessities into the hands of those who need it most.

“It becomes a logistical challenge to have to deal with [donations], the big influx of resources,” Hendricks said. “That’s why we prefer to work with other partners to bring in the resources in the quantity that we need, when we need it and continue to refill those needs as we need it, rather than have a big stockpile of stuff.”

There are ways to help. Below are some resources and tips to get fire victims the assistance they need, or match volunteers to the best organization.

Donate money
Many organizations, like Marin County, are working with partners and prefer that donations go through those organizations — it will reach the right areas. Local groups such as Redwood Empire Food Bank, UnitedWay Wine Country and Redwood Credit Union all have funds set up to help the area. “Monetary donations give responders and organizations the flexibility to do” what they need to do," Hendricks said.

Volunteer, but through organizations
Some shelters are filled with people ready and willing to volunteer, while other places are still looking to fulfill specific needs. The best way to not overwhelm shelters is to go through a volunteer organization. The Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership (CVNL) are asking volunteers to register here and Red Cross is looking to sign up volunteers here.

Visit social media accounts for organizations for the latest updates
Shared Facebook posts are causing issues as information becomes quickly outdated. It’s best to go to the Facebook page of the organization or evacuation center to find out what the latest needs are.

Confirm donations with shelters before you buy
Ask evacuation shelters what they need before making your purchases. One shelter stated they were overwhelmed with water bottles — way more than what they needed. Direct your purchases to suit the specific shelter, and that will keep your donation useful.

Here are some updating resources to check if you’re thinking of giving money, donating or volunteering:

The Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership (CVNL) partnered with other organizations to create a dynamic (and constantly updating) list of North Bay fire volunteer information and food/clothing donations on Google here. It also includes updating resources and links for fire victims in need of help. The group is also accepting monetary donations.

The Volunteer Center of Sonoma County recommended that those looking to volunteer or donate look at SonomaCounty.recovers.org, to get matched with organizations or groups that need help. Alternately, groups that need help can say what types of goods or services they’re requesting.

Salvation Army in Santa Rosa has asked for monetary donations, as well as the following: new towels, bulk cleaning supplies, batteries (such as those used in flashlights), personal hygiene products. 93 Stony Circle, Santa Rosa. Open until 5 p.m.

Redwood Empire Food Bank is in need of ready-to-eat, non-perishable foods, in non-glass containers. Food donations can be brought to their facilities in Santa Rosa until closing. The organization also takes monetary donations and is seeking volunteers on its website. They ask that volunteers sign up on the website, rather than show up at the food bank, and they will be contacted for volunteer opportunities. 3990 Brickway Blvd., Santa Rosa. (707) 523-7900. Open until 6:30 p.m.

5 Likes

My local news was reporting that the fires may have been started by power cables arcing as they blew about in the very high winds. I assume the spot fires that breakout ahead of the fire front are from the embers being carried by the high wind.

Both those causes are very common here in Australia with some very tragic fires that have been started by power lines arcing and setting fire to trees that have grown too close. Power companies were found liable for not clearing trees from their supply lines - not surprisingly they are now very diligent.

Embers flying off from the fire are often the cause of houses catching fire as they fall into gutters - which are risky if they are full of dried leaves - or lodge under the eaves of roofs and rapidly spread the fire to houses. Which is why you often see fire damaged houses randomly spread across residential areas.

4 Likes

Looks like there are a number of farms now getting impacted.

Even in places not directly burned, the local economy is strongly affected and will likely be for an extended period of time. There’s a piece from Jon Kauffman yesterday that mentioned that reservations for Bouchon was down like 90+%.

Just came across this. Includes a list of wineries affected.

Here’s another one, updated 5p today:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/11/list-of-wineries-damaged-or-destroyed-in-the-wine-country-fires/

Raymonds Bakery B&B at Elim Grove

150 pepperoni cheese ciabatta. 100 onion rolls. 100 oatmeal butter cookies. 3 trays of sea salted sourdough. Off to the hundreds of firefighters stationed out of Occidental. Our thanks to their bravery and dedication to protection; countless.
So many thanks to Tommy and Brooklyn for letting me know about this need an coordinating deliveries.

4 Likes