NJ's best sub/hoagie shops

I order a cold Italian sub at a local place fairly frequently, and always order it w oil and vinegar, no mayo. Forgot to say “no mayo” and wow, was that a different and worse sandwich!
I learned to go with one or the other, not both.
Angelinas in Mayo MD may be off the beaten path and the owner is a tough cookie, but her staff make good subs!
I think this is one of her cold Italian’s …
I need to label my photos immediately.
Sorry about the non NJ post but i saw the comment about using both mayo and oil and vinegar and i had to pipe up. Getting the sandwich in Mayo Maryland kind of adds to the connection, no? :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Is mustard out of favor in NJ?
Seems like it is verboten on cold sandwiches?

1 Like

Pro Mayo AND OV person checking in. Delicious and worth any mess.

5 Likes

I’ve enjoyed your discussion here and am always interested in hoagies when I visit my family in NJ (AC, Trenton and Passaic areas).

For me, the key is top notch pepper relish. I like the red colored hot one, and also the green sweet one with slightly larger pepper pieces. Vinegary enough so I just then add oil. I’d be interested to know any tips for spots that have a great pepper relish.

Mayo, mustard, not for me.

Please continue on and more photos of great hoagies welcome. Cheers.

3 Likes

That would be smUshed rather than smAshed. I do believe there may be a serious difference between the two. I do love the double spatula transport!!!

Lol - I should have waited to reply. @CurlzNJ gets the nuanced difference between the two styles.

3 Likes

That is a great looking sub whether made in NJ or not. I’ll be driving between NJ and Raleigh, NC next month and it looks like Mayo MD is not far off the route. I may have to stop in.

Most NJ subs seem to follow the cheese, meat, toppings format and this one doesn’t. Is that common in MD or is the sub upside down? Also, if you don’t ask you don’t get mayo automatically in NJ. But it makes sense that with mayo is the default in Mayo.

2 Likes

I stopped in at Lillo’s Tomato Pies in Hainesport, NJ and had their cheesesteak. I didn’t even look at the menu, so I’m not sure if there are different sizes on offer, but I was charged a lot of money for a sub that would feed two ravenous people. Neither of us could finish it. I started to pick at the interior leaving some of the bread.

The beef was juicy and beefy, and the cheese melted throughout. The bread was very hardy. It was a glorious example of a cheesesteak, though I am out of practice. In the DC area, we don’t have any places I know of that do them well, certainly not this well.

It seems to me that limiting the discussion of great subs to ‘sub shops’ misses the mark. In NJ, you can get serious subs in so many places. It’s an obsession. Or maybe a religion. The two are not mutually exclusive.

6 Likes

I had to look up Hainesport, so I’ll save others the time; it’s in Burlington County, not far off of Rt. 38. Thanks for the tip, @Steve!

I unwrapped and photographed it upside down. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: Oops.
If you visit it, Mayo is a nice little water town w two nice beach parks, both of which are a bear to get into. Triton Beach’s parking lot has been under construction for the better part of a year so they closed the entire park. Last month they only finished 50 feet of sidewalk so it isn’t progressing well.
Mayo Beach is kind of open to the public on weekends if you go online and make a reservation.
Great people in Mayo but they are not too willing to share the beauty of their state parks.

3 Likes

This is how I roll…

14 Likes

Mustard is verboten on subs, IMO. On a ham and cheese sandwich, however, it is perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Spell-checker strikes again is my guess.

1 Like

Deli Mustard was a rarity. If someone asked for yellow mustard, I always imagined they were bringing the sandwich home to a five year old. Honey mustard was mainly on hot subs but every once in a while someone would put it on a cold sub.

1 Like

I’m twitching, but I do love this.
WHERE WAS IT?!?

1 Like

( just saw it on internet and shared it here )

1 Like

Bedminster CC? Ketchup on the side

1 Like

Finally made it to White House. Tasty.

12 Likes

Looks great. Glad you enjoyed.

Now, if only there was more red pepper relish on the half sub … :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh, Ok. I was just curious if that was a common technique in other places.

1 Like

It must be a regional thing? I’m pretty sure every place I’ve been in NJ mayo is never default. Usually you’ll just ask for the sub with everything (or as popularized by the chain “Mike’s way”) which is S+P oregano, lettuce tomato onion oil and vinegar.

2 Likes