NJ shrimp, what are your favorite dishes?

Any thoughts on keyport fishery? That seems to be in running for us tmw night?

One thought.

Delishus.

Yes the shrimp there are good and classic golden brown…definitely a solid dish. The fries aren’t the best but overall I like that spot. I prefer the scallops over the shrimp. Fyi, it’s take out so keep that in mind.

Although I haven’t been in months, the happy hour shrimp at the beach tavern bar are top notch. It’s 8 bucks, the fries are good, nice fresh lemon, and good tarter. Overall I can’t think of a better 8 dollar dish in such a nice venue. The shrimp are large, crispy and they seem to get them right each time. I am not sure if they run happy hour Friday/sat. I think you would like this 8 dollar dish. Again, I haven’t been in a while so this report could be outdated.

Ive never had a bad meal at oriental empire to be honest. It’s definitely americanized Chinese food but I could imagine they have some good fried shrimp. I haven’t tried any but that might be an economical place to try some shrimp dishes. I think they have quite a few fried shrimp variations.

How bout the red lobotomy?

AYCE and they’ll donate a buck to hurricane Vic’s this Monday.

I do applaud vic for making a donation but this guy swims in money. 1 dollar a plate :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find the fried shrimp a bit over prepared at Keyport Fishery. Heavy coating of the fine crumb but a tad rubbery from the deep fry included in their platter. Much prefer the flounder there BUT the fresh shrimp we buy quite often for at home shrimp cocktail.

Ferraro’s in Westfield serves their shrimp cocktail over dry ice, fun presentation and you get six jumbos with just the right level of horseradish in the sauce.

Snuffy’s makes a fabulous shrimp cocktail platter; half grilled, half steamed with three cold dipping sauces.

I really prefer shellfish simply prepared. Too much prep and you lose the flavor of the shrimp.

A plate of hot from the fryer salt n pepper shrimp from Sichuan Cottage is about as good as fried shrimp get.

3 Likes

Since we were with the little one we opted for Keyport. Place was mobbed, line out the door. Food was very good, better than navesink and boondocks. Had 1 fried shrimp platter, shrimp weren’t too big, but very tasty and good portion of them. Honestly the smaller size prob lets them cook quicker. Had fried flounder platter and fried flounder sandwich, but very good, not overly greasy and nice heaping serving of fries and cole slaw. Fish tasted very fresh and tartar sauce and slaw were both excellent. Fries were good, not great, but good and at the price I can’t complain. Very reasonable too, we honestly got too much and prob could have gotten away with feeding all three of us for under 30 bucks for fresh seafood. Def a place thats going in the rotation. Glad we found out to drive down a bit to the little gazebo, b/c the atmosphere changed for the better.

1 Like

I had the fried sole, shrimp and scallops with French fries from Keyport fishery.
Everything was fried perfectly and super fresh and completely tasteless IMO.
The shrimp cocktail was fabulous though, fresh, flavorful, crunchy perfect!

4 Likes

Helga and I usually order one combo platter with shrimp, scallops & flounder, plus an extra half pound of fried clams, and extra Cole Slaw. This is easily enough for 2 people plus a kid or two (or one @NotJrvedivici) and will run you $25 with tax.

They put a lot of fries on the platter so one is usually plenty. And you can order extra fish, shrimp, scallops or clams by the half pound or whole. IMO their fried clams are the best at the shore, and I love love love fried clams. The fried smelt, whiting, calamari and oysters are also good if you like those.

Anywhere in the park along the waterfront features great food and views of NYC as long as Fido doesn’t happen by on a leash and unload one.

You also have to watch out for the sea gulls. They are trained, dangerous and big enough from all those fish and chips to drag a small toddler out to sea.

It’s also better than most of the places in Point Pleasant, with the possible exception of the Point Lobster Co.

Well folks, I stumbled across a good one today. Sometimes you run into tasty dishes and they resonate with you. Today I found one that may possibly go into my rotation. In fact, yeah I think I might have to check out this dish very soon. It is Charley’s in long branch.

After seeing @gcaggiano 's shrimp and “shout out” to one of my favorite chefs, drew, I ran into a shrimp app called “voodoo” shrimp. Sounds familiar right? :slight_smile:

Well for ten bucks you get 4 pieces of garlic bread, some interesting spicy sauce and quite a pile of shrimp. The sauce is a tomato based, BBQ style rendition of new Orleans flavor. You get some serious cumin flavor, sherry , black pepper, vinegar and sugar. It is soupy and not a BBQ sauce imo. I ate these smaller shrimp with a spoon, so I could inhale this sauce, and really enjoyed this. It has a little heat but not too crazy. In fact, next time I will see if the chef will kick it up a notch.

For ten bucks, I really liked this dish and I did not want to sleep in the parking lot when done lol. Drews version is killer but this is a different ballgame, and not butter/cream based. I’d love to hear your take on this one folks. To be clear, the name is the one thing that is common here. If you love Drew’s voodoo shrimp, like I do, we aren’t comparing apples to apples. This is different dish but also has some southern influence.

Sorry , no pic. I was with a vendor and it wasn’t appropriate.

2 Likes

After I saw your previous recommendation of the fried shrimp at Beach Tavern, I went looking for them. Didn’t see them on happy hour menu so I asked. Nope. They’re not on the menu as of my last visit almost two weeks ago. I’m hoping they come back.

This makes me happy. I so want Charley’s to be good again. I keep hearing good reports about the new chef (it’s escaping me where he came from).

1 Like

I haven’t been to the beach tavern in a while. Darn, I’m sad to see they don’t have the fried shrimp on happy hour. That was a great dish for 8 bucks.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the voodoo shrimp at Charley’s. I don’t think you will be disappointed. In fact , it could surprise you.

@seal @NotJrvedivici @BossaNova if you guys are out “east” let me know. I’d like to try a few other apps on the menu

1 Like

One of my favorite shrimp dishes is the hot & spicy prawns at Chengdu 1, in Greenbrook. It is crispy, spicy, and juicy🤤

5 Likes

The only thing better is their hot & spicy lobster :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Possibly my favorite dish that Lien makes!! When he was in Cedar Grove, my crew used to order a second (or third) plate of those prawns for dessert!