NJ Salumerias

So I am that old guy who screams get off my lawn just for context.
I am really getting tired of getting sandwiches and having to buy my own bread!! I only eat Italian bread made from Semolina wheat.
None of my local places have semolina bread as the bread on which they make sandwiches. I always have to buy a loaf , bring it to sandwich counter to complete the sandwich.If I am lucky enough for the salumeria having semolina bread. Please note I only go to Salumerias for my Italian sandwiches and that’s my complaint. I don’t expect places like Subway (feh) or Jersey Mike to have semolina. Is it me ? Or is this the same all over here.
Never happened in NYC is my experience.

2 Likes

Try this, you will not be disappointed. https://www.livotisoldworldmarket.com/

2 Likes

…and you haven’t been tossed out of any of these places?
You must be a persuasive guy.
If I tried to bring my own bread into someone’s shop and demanded they make me a sandwich I’m not sure what would happen!
:wink:

I don’t think he’s bringing his own bread; I think he’s buying a loaf of the store’s bread and asking them to use that.

I’m pretty sure asking them to use bread from elsewhere violates some health rules.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Pastosa uses Semolina for their sandwiches (I love it too)!

3 Likes

Correct :+1:t2:

Only on their readymade sandwiches in my experience

@eleeper is right, if they don’t carry semolina then I am out the door.
FYI a sandwich at the place that replaced Livotti on route 79 Marlboro ( a half) cost me $21.50 with buying the loaf of semolina bread. Ridiculous and it wasn’t even imported prosciutto. Ingredients were prosciutto fresh mozzarella and roasted peppers. It was ok but even the balsamic vinegar wasn’t great.

1 Like

They tend to have semolina on hand inside the sandwich counter

2 Likes

Taliercios in Middletown has more than acceptable bread and is my current fav spot for subs/heros. I am also of the ilk that a proper Italian hero be made on the right bread. Pastosa would also be a good choice
Livotis bread is top notch but has let me down elsewhere lately

1 Like

Good bread is a must in any situation where eating is involved. I have an aversion to fake crusty Italian bread, ( bleached white flour) also my current dietary preference for bread is semolina
As an aside Pastosa is a great place for most things
I haven’t had a sandwich there for awhile but in the Manalapan store always a great selection of bread.

1 Like

They are the biggest culprits of having to pay for the loaf if you want it on semolina when they were on 79 in Marlboro

1 Like

Taste of Italy in Tinton Falls (two locations) I’m 99% sure you can get semolina bread, from the bin, without having to pay an upcharge. (call first or I’ll owe you the $2.99 add on, trust me I’m good for it.

@Metsfan86 Tallerico’s is a great place. Bill Spedia on 101.5 was giving them a shout out today, he apparently was there recently.

4 Likes

Not worried about your credibility, however Bill Spedia that’s a completely different conversation.

Do we really need to quote white nationalists with a side of conspiracy and election liar. It says a lot that apparently people listen to his program

1 Like

This is the level of passion for sandwich I hope to have some day in my life! There’s a place on rt 66? In tinton falls?/ocean border area that uses semolina bread iirc. It might be taste of italy as @NotJrvedivici commented about. Next to asia star.

1 Like

Yes–that’s the place. I admit I’ve never been but I know people love it.

When your my age there aint much else. lol

1 Like

Wow, listen he gave the place a shout out that’s all. This is a food site correct? I’m not mentioning anything about the person, other than the fact he mentioned it right as I was reading this post. Please do not take this thread into a direction it’s not intended. You are welcome to whatever belief’s you have, just no need to bring them up in this forum unless they are food related.

@Ragtopssk as above, it just happened to be the timing, as you posted about it, he was on the radio singing their praises.

4 Likes

I’m an understanding soul
No harm, no foul

1 Like