NJ ripoffs. This could get ugly....

Just saw your message now. I left New Jersey end of last year. I am in San Diego now, but I actually went back to Philly, NJ, NY just 2 weeks ago for a business trip. Stopped by a few places I love, like DiNic Pork Sandwich at Reading Terminal Market in Philly, and Noodle Village’s (NYC) Wonton Noodle Soup in Manhattan Chinatown.

2 Likes

Don’t get me started on this being the bread offered at a “steakhouse”.

1 Like

Eeeuuuwww !

I still miss the steak n ale bread lol.

1 Like

Well, welcome to Southern California! Enjoy the fish tacos, stay for the produce. :wink:

1 Like

Is this like Yorkshire pudding? Because that is one of the cheapest things you can make, and easy too. Although people are always quite impressed with them.

1 Like

I’m no yorkshire pudding expert however I would say it’s a very close cousin if not a step brother or sister. I just did some quick math the average steak at this restaurant is $ 56. if you want a topping it’s $8.50 sauce is $3.00 and a side like baked potato is $ 7.60 so $ 75. is the “average” steak entree. If you want a salad that’s $10 so a two course meal is $85.00 NO TAX - TIP. You are at an easy $ 100 pp for just two courses no drinks, apps or desert. I routinely drop $ 150. pp on a meal here…if I’m entertaining that number can be closer to $200 pp. and you want to charge me an extra $2.00 for an additional piece of bread?

As much as I’ve liked this place that $2.00 up-charge has all but erased it from being a go-to place of mine. The best part, I don’t even like the pop-overs!!! lol I just resent that charge so much.

2 Likes

Throughout Louisiana, “lagniappe” (a little gift) is part of the culture; it’s like that baker’s dozen that you remember and makes you want to tell your friends.

2 Likes

More like evil step twin from parallel universe…

images

@ $ 2 (1tsp flour + 1tsp suet+ trace salt) = Supermassive Black Hole Rip Off.

Ship Wreck boldly charging where no restaurant has gone before.

Must be a Romulan in the front of the house.

3 Likes

Thank you. I do like fish taco very much.

CK, good luck out on the left coast!! How are you liking it out there? Hope you are doing well and I’ll give you a “pass” for hanging out on the NJ board since you are now officially a Californian!!! (joke)

1 Like

Then you need to go here:
Point Loma Seafoods
2805 Emerson St, San Diego, CA 92106
(619) 223-1109

https://goo.gl/maps/sCqCT2PB5ST2

http://pointlomaseafoods.com/mobile.php

Right now. This minute. It’s lunch time.

The BEST fish tacos in San Diego!

Please report back.

fish-tacos-and-a-beer

Im salivating just thinking about them.

Thanks. I will give it a try on weekend. I hope it is easy to find parking near. Although I like fish taco, I haven’t been too picky about them yet. Yet, I have heard of really good vs passable fish taco. I am probably just eating passable fish tacos.

So what do you recommend in general for fish taco? (baked or fried? – I think I like baked if the fish itself is good)

1 Like

You guys really should start a new thread about tomato pies…

Grilled or fried. If I’m making myself I like grilled shark marinated in lime juice, EVO, garlic, chili flake for 30 minutes.

Grill & serve on blue corn tortillas with cabbage, green onion, cilantro and white sauce.

White Sauce is lime juice, mayo, sour cream or crema thinned with water.

A good hot sauce, a squeeze of fresh lime, and cheese are optional.

Pintos with Manteca (lard) on the side.

Make some margaritas, get a cooler of Tecate, chips and salsa from Costco and your next grill party is done.

1 Like

Lots of parking nearby, it’s next to where the commercial fishing charters leave.

It’s a really informal kind of place, and not very expensive.

They have a deck upstairs or you can just take with you and eat it on a bench.

Where are some good fried baja ones around here?

And since this is nj, I think most people can relate to this one. The first ten seconds are not quite food related but watch it through lol

3 Likes

I’m not a huge OTH fan to be honest. The burger is half decent but not great, wings are passable, and the blackened chicken sandwich is decent.

I had a few good meals at second jetty but I think that when they first opened up they were more on point. I’ll try them again in a few weeks before we are inundated with bennys.

Sadly none that I am aware of.

Copper canyon has really good ones…very expensive though. Think twice the cost of a socal plate. The great thing is they use Atlantic cod…the fish species that will probably be gone before I am.