NJ Food News

Below is a picture of the $135.00 Florentine steak (30 day dry aged local black angus porterhouse) from Chef Robbie’s Instagram account.

4 Likes

I’m sending this to @NotJrvedivici (but can’t remember why), so he can go take one for the team…

1 Like

Nice looking steak. Did you see anywhere that mentioned the weight?

1 Like

No. It was just the picture on Instagram.

1 Like

The AP Sun reports there are 3 new restaurants coming to the Asbury Park boardwalk this summer… I’d already mentioned Tower Dogs elsewhere, but here are details on all of them. I’m sad that Iron Whale is part of McCloone’s, as someone had told me otherwise.

Due to open in May inside the newly reinvented Fifth Avenue Pavilion, Iron Whale is McLoone’s Restaurant Group’s eleventh venture. A departure from their previous ventures, the Iron Whale will feature a rustic, yet still contemporary design in the spirit of seafarers with prominent elements like reclaimed wood, ropes, and lanterns, a spokeswoman said. The centrally located boardwalk restaurant boasts outdoor oceanview dining equally matched by an indoor decor that houses an open kitchen, oversized fireplace, and private meeting and party room. Executive Chef Michael Dolan’s menu will feature inventive takes on seafood as well as a wide selection of meat presentations and other protein-rich ingredients. Iron Whale will be a year-round restaurant; serving lunch and dinner 7 days a week.

Expanding on the popularity of Maruca’s Tomato Pies on the Seaside Heights (sic), local entrepreneur Sammy Boyd partners with Domenic Maruca in launching Maruca’s of Asbury Park, also due to open May. At Maruca’s, their famous 24-inch pies are topped with trademark cheese and a signature swirl of sauce that starts in the middle and works its way to the crust. [Curlz: ISN’T THIS HOW MOST ‘REGULAR’ PIZZA IS MADE?!?]

Tower Dogs is a new gourmet hot dog concept opening later this month inside the First Avenue Pavilion. Tower Dogs’ 100 percent beef recipe yields a skinless, minimally seasoned and cured dog that contains no fillers. Tower Dogs’ menu also features vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free non-dog options. The 800 Ocean Ave venue will offer in-house and boardwalk dining, takeout and local delivery.

So this new Mc’Cloones is in addition to the Super Club, not replacing it? (Which I had heard went under some form of reorganization, like the Super Club is only the second floor now?..I don’t know and honestly I don’t really care)

[Curlz: ISN’T THIS HOW MOST ‘REGULAR’ PIZZA IS MADE?!?]
Yes, thank you as I was reading that I was wondering WTF was so magical about that process.

So long story short, yeah Hot Dogs!!!

1 Like

Correct. The supper club is the upstairs part of the current Robinson’s (the old HoJo’s bldg with the cool roof line). This is a HUGE space that takes up most of the rest of that pavilion; I think there are only 3 stores there. Still doesn’t have walls up, but they do have signs saying they’re hiring, so they must be getting close.

As you said, hot dogs!

1 Like

Only by pizza amateurs! Personally, I follow a fairly sophisticated method that is highly confidential but I will reveal that a drone and a fan are involved.

3 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl:

Has anyone tried Freshii in Middletown? It sounds like a good place to get vegetarian dishes, although meat-eaters can have beef or chicken added. (Note: some of the soups use chicken broth, so “no meat added” does not imply vegetarian.)

1 Like

Maruca’s gimmick is the sauce is an actual spiral. I tried it years ago and wasn’t impressed.

2 Likes

Ah…that at least shows me something different. The AP Sun is from the same folks at TriCity News–not exactly spectacular writing/editing, so I’m not surprised they didn’t fully explain it (or show it)! Thx

1 Like

And downtown Asbury has a new Asian fusion place called Rice opening up, across the street from the Speakeatery.
I read about a place opening on Main Street, supposed to be sort or a wine bar, small plates type place with a New Orleans connection. But have seen no signs of it on main Street

OOOH–that’s good intel, Roland! Haven’t heard about the wine bar yet. As for Rice, I’m very curious to see who’s opening 1/2 a block from Taka.

If I am not mistaken it is going in the old Cascada club on main. I think the article was in the Tricity news and they do not post their stuff online

Wow— don’t know how I missed that, because I actually read that rag… I’ll keep my eyes/ears open!

Where is/ was the Cascada? I’m not familiar with that one…

Near the corner of 4th and main.
Across the street from the relatively new dry cleaners that shares a parking lot with the new dollar store

1 Like

Wait did he just say there was a lack of Italian food?

2 Likes