NJ Food News

Excited for this, even it is out of the way a bit. I was hoping he would open a little closer to me, because after all I am selfish. :slight_smile:

I don’t know the whole story but the guy who was at Rosie’s pizza from the beginning and left last year-ish is opening his own place in Belmar.

1 Like

Yes - article in today’s APP (for subscribers only) says he’s going in to the empty space next to the former Jersey Shore BBQ location in the plaza next to the train station.

1 Like

Not sure where else to post. But crummy news. Biz has been going for over a century. Another butcher shop down,
Losing a lot of specialty shops like this

1 Like

Went yesterday after i saw that on the zuckerberg. Sad, for sure.

Watching him interact with regulars, cut cutlets and hearing the meat grinder going, knowing that i was watching a dying thing .

I feel old

3 Likes

I’ve got to say, with Costco selling “prime” meat, Shop Rite having prime and “wagyu” etc. it’s almost impossible for a “mom and pop” butcher to survive anymore.

3 Likes

100% right. Sabato’s is a place I kept saying, “I have to try them”. Drive past it almost daily, Justin works right by there, but when in Shop Rite or Costco, something always manages to catch the eye before you remember to check out the standalone butcher.

3 Likes

I’ll stick with Stew at Monmouth. Only place I buy meat.

I use the same logic with liquor stores (little silver/cellar in FH) and I still buy plenty of things at my local hardware store.

Saving a little bit isn’t always worth it. Plus I don’t recall the last time you could actually speak to a butcher at Costco or the supermarket and ask questions or request a certain cut

Support these people or the will go away and you will miss them. Rant over for now :slightly_smiling_face:

(Wasn’t directed at you @NotJrvedivici just my thoughts in general)

8 Likes

There is a woman butcher at the ShopRite in Marlboro who is very knowlegeable & very helpful. Its still ShopRite meat but shes very cool. FWIW

3 Likes

Remember THIS?

I’m thrilled to see that there is (FINALLY) fencing up around the front of the old Marshall’s - it just went up in the last couple of days.

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with Filipino food/baked goods, but thought some of you might be interested in this from the APP: Salvaje, a pop-up bakery, brings Filipino flavors to New Jersey

Find Salvaje on Sunday, April 30, at Ayala Coffee, 1917 Morris Ave. in Union, and Sunday, May 7, at The Baker’s Grove, 524 Broad St., in Shrewsbury. Online ordering available soon through instagram.com/salvaje_htx

2 Likes

Uncle Guiseppe’s in Tinton Falls will open on April 21 at 7 a.m. with a ribbon cutting at 10:30 a.m.

2 Likes
2 Likes

There used to be an Uncle Giuseppe here in Manalapn but that closed a few years ago. They also had a second location in Brick i believe.

For those of you who come to Asbury Park, have I got a bargain for you… and if you don’t, these make great Mother’s Day/Father’s Day/graduation/birthday gifts!

I’m on the board of the Asbury Park Music Foundation and we’ve been invited to partner with The Kiwanis Club of Asbury Park on their new fundraiser: EAT HERE NOW, a booklet of redeemable coupons for 33 AP-based restaurants and cafes. In exchange, we will receive a portion of the proceeds. To see the list of restaurants and order booklets, click here and enter APMF in the Promo Code field.

Profits from the sale of the $30 booklet (valued at $350) enable the Kiwanis Club of Asbury Park to fund youth enrichment programs, including literacy programs, food insecurities, clothing deficits and scholarship funds. This is perfectly aligned with the APMF mission to provide music education programs and scholarships to kids in need. For each booklet purchased with the APMF promo code, we’ll receive a $5 donation.

8 Likes

I ordered the booklet as soon as I saw @CurlzNJ’s post. There is a great mix of some of my favorite AP spots, places I’ve been meaning to try, and some I’ve never heard of before. I can’t wait to go out to dinner!

2 Likes

TYTY! It wasn’t until I picked mine up and started chatting with the Kiwanis president that I got to see what the coupons were… It’s everything from buy one/get one to 25–50% off your bill at different places. Definitely worth it, imo!

3 Likes

Ordered! Thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

@CurlzNJ
@fershore

We are going to have to get together to eat!!

1 Like

Thank you @fershore! And I agree with @MsBean!

1 Like

For those of you in South Jersey (or those who get down there):

Federal Donuts, a Philadelphia-based doughnut shop is coming to The Marlton Square Shopping Center in Marlton at 300 Route 73. The shopping center’s website says the Federal Donuts is “coming soon,” although an exact date has yet to be announced.