NJ Food News

I’m 100000% sure that @CurlzNJ and you both are correct on the location. I’m also more interested in pasta and bras! I’m a big fan of sweetest sin (yes not the best name). They recently got me out of my lastest boob-mergency.

I’ll be at semolina tomorrow and will scope out the scene!

2 Likes

I thought I remembered you talking about SS at Reyla way back when we were all there. I know @CurlzNJ is a devotee. And I created a monster as it the only place The Sprout will buy bras now. Plus we really like Semolina too.

2 Likes

I really really like that store. They have gotten me out of several jams. They know my size and don’t seem offended when I flash a strap and say “I didn’t pay the meter can I get 3 of these immediately”. Let’s do it!

3 Likes

There’s is definitely a field trip in our future!!! (And lunch, of course…)

2 Likes

The Sprout has gone thru a bunch of sizes and now wears a fairly odd one but they always have some for her and are happy to order other colors.

And just to get back to food, I’ve had 2 of Semolina’s pastas and both were very good.

2 Likes

Chef Christine Wedland, Chef/owner of the HoopHouse in Bordentown will be a contestant on the Supermarket Stakeout episode airing next Tuesday, July 12 at 9:00 pm on food network. She is a previous winner on Chopped.

1 Like

Oh, the things I read. Beach Haus Brewery (Belmar) put up a post on our local NextDoor board:

We opened a new casual elegant dining restaurant next door to the brewery! It’s called 801 Craft Kitchen & Spirits! Now seating for dinner Thursday-Sunday. Book now on OpenTable

I asked if Chef Burke was still involved and will let you know if there’s a response, but there’s nothing listed on HIS site about it, and their site only shows a menu. With NO prices.

https://www.801craftkitchen.com

New Italian opening on Cookman in AP next week. BYO

I just saw Craft Kitchen and Spirits mentioned somewhere and meant to look into it but then promptly forgot. Thanks for posting their website. Their cocktail menu looks much more interesting than the food. Why do Florida red snapper when there is so much great local fish?

According to my friend who works for him, Burke is no longer involved with Beach Haus Beer. I think she said he was not involved with the actual ownership of the brewery but was brought in temporarily while they ramped up the business.

YES on the cocktail menu; I thought the same thing - the food seems…overthought. Overdone. But whatever - highly unlikely I’ll go there.
Of course I went looking online after I posted about it - Burke opened there on 4/14, so it wasn’t even 90 days. And the person who’s posting on behalf of Beach Haus hasn’t responded, which doesn’t surprise me. Guess they don’t realize that for some people, it might encourage them to try it if he’s not in the mix.

This is VERY interesting - thanks for posting!

Burke was there a while back, maybe 2020 or so, too. My friend was the catering director there for a while but she technically worked for Burke not Beach Haus. When he “left” she went with him and now handles The Drift House in Sea Bright.

1 Like

Menu is not exciting enough to bring me to Asbury Park.
Just another place for the overflow to go for awhile.

2 Likes

Completely agree. I’m not big on pasta as a main course so I found the menu somewhat lacking. I will say that I liked how they mentioned the number of items in the Antipasti (2 squash blossoms, 3 bruschetta,etc) which I think is a nod to managing expectations. I’m guessing they’re pricey.

2 Likes

The weird thing is the rest of the menu has prices!

I know!! I had to double triple check myself because having prices in some places and not other didn’t make sense to me. It feels like a warning flag to me.

2 Likes

Maybe they are leaving it blank to put in market price?

Certainly possible, but it’s hard to guess; just weird that they did it on all of the other menus! But kudos to them for only charging $2 for soda–not that I drink it–but that at least says they’re not pillaging on everything.

1 Like

And another FYI, Nettie’s House of Spaghetti is no longer taking reservations for the bar.
Although they did say if you called and seats were open they would hold them for 15 minutes

1 Like

Believe it or not, I still haven’t gotten there!