New York Times suspends restaurant reviews in the suburbs...

While we live in Los Angeles, we are digital NYT subscribers and have been for years. I’m saddened by this decision - I loved having the glimpses into the region, especially as it’s not an area I’m likely to be visiting any time soon. And I loved the restaurant reviews - such a diverse range of choices - I’d read those before I’d look at any of Wells’ reviews! (I also enjoy reading restaurant reviews from around the world - learning about local specialties and focuses and watching how tastes are changing.)

I’m also somewhat disgruntled by the NYT beefing up their California bureau - I don’t know how the main landing page displays to non-subscribers (I don’t want to log out because I can’t recall my password!) but I now see a “California Today” section that’s curated content specific to this state.

Wells’ review of Cassia was disappointing, not for the content (which I thought was fairly “meh”) but because it just didn’t feel right.

Not sure why all of this bothers me, but it does.

Well the revenue model supported by local subscriptions and ad revenue is going the way of the dodo.

NY Times have done the research and determined that their way forward lies in on line subscriptions to people like you, who are located around the country, and who read Wells reviews more for the entertainment value. I’m guessing that a majority of the people who read those reviews never actually eat in the restaurant reviewed.

They’ve also probably looked at California and determined that this will be a major market for on line subscriptions in the future. The left coasts and all that. So lucky you, in their effort to become a national on line paper, you are right in their target market.

We will have to see how it works but I’m sceptical. Other than ad revenue driven publications like fashion and home remodeling mags, I think the former print media all have troubles with their revenue models and are not long for this world.

1 Like

So, I called the NYT subscription people today to express my disappointment over this change and said I wanted to cancel. I was given 8 weeks at half price. The guy I spoke to said I was not the first person he had spoke to who was unhappy with the change.

So, let the know you’re unhappy and get yourself a discount, even if you really aren’t planning to cancel. I had to call anyway because my credit card had changed and I had a past due bill.

1 Like

Regardless of rebates, based upon the NY Times recent reviews and endorsements, this how I feel about subscribing even for a short period of time:

Nevah, evah !!!

This is not about politics. It is about good food/dining reporting. Their Wednesday food/dining section is among the best…

2 Likes

Well good luck with that !!!