New York Times suspends restaurant reviews in the suburbs...

VK, getting real tired of you repeating the same misleading stuff on these discussions. It may be a comprehension problem, but It is not what you state above. The suspension includes: Westchester, Long Island and Connecticut, too. I suggest you read all the boards relating to this topic all over again…slowly.
You are entitled to believe what you will about the NY Times, but to me and many others it has always been a major news platform about restaurants or otherwise. Keep your other beliefs to yourself. This is not the proper forum. Zagats?

1 Like

Ya know, as long as people keep reposting the same tired stuff about the NY Times elimnating their regional coverage on all the different boards as though it is news, whether in general, Westchester, Jersey, or Timbukfukkintoo, I’m going to respond with my views.

Also there was nothing that was too original about your post on this, since you read and participated in the discussion on Chowhound, then ran over hear to repost.

Personally I’m so tired of the NY Times that I hope I never, ever, see another post about them and their coverage, or lack of it, again.

Yes I have read it SLOWLY. And I’ve read it many times on all the different regional boards SLOWLY.

I understand that the NY Times is eliminating it’s regional coverage in Westchester, Long Island, and Connecticut too.

There is nothing misleading about my opinions, because they are opinions. You are free to disagree with them.

However, it’s pretty clear to me that the Times has done its marketing research, and has determined for the marginal number of subscribers that those reviews bring in, it no longer makes sense to continue coverage.

Their revenue numbers are declining and they need to cut somewhere.

Of course this is the proper forum. It’s a message board about food and opinions about food.

I’m as entitled to my opinion, and as entitled to express it, as you are. And this is the place to do it.

Don’t lecture to me about the importance of the NY Times, because if it were more important, more people would be subscribing to it. Which they are not.

People are now getting their news all kinds of other ways, including NEWS about restaurants.

The emphasis is on NEWS because that’s what it is a NEWS paper, not an opinion paper. I swear we have all turned into a nation of sheep, incapable of doing research and forming our own opinions.

If you have a well reasoned counter argument which makes financial sense regarding resuming these coverages, I suggest you communicate it to Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr who is the publisher at the following email address:

publisher@nytimes.com

I’ve already emailed him, personally, to tell him his product stinks and is no longer relevant for me.

As far as I’m concerned, the NY Times can go the way of the dinosaurs, because that’s what it is.

By the way, do you actually subscribe to the New York Times?

It would be hilarious if you don’t.

1 Like

Is there a love button :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep. You just pressed mine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not alone

I actually think the moderators would do a great service by combining all of these disparate threads into one, and cleaning things up.

I have suggested that several times, politely, but so far they have not seen fit to act.

‘best dishes in the …’ - a small footnote specifying the dish and its purveyor would be fun.

And until someone comes up with a reliable online reputation mechanism large, open venues like Yelp will be, like the American voter, not terrible reliable. Not all opinions are created equal.

By the way, this kind of reminds me of the tunnel project that Governor Chris canceled because the New Yorkers were trying to stick us with all the cost overruns.

It was one of his finest moments as governor.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: New York Times suspends restaurant reviews in the suburbs…

The NYT and people who live in NY are pretentious, condescending, snobby, snotty, routinely give the shaft to us common folk in NJ, and think they’re better than other people, I’ve come to learn. And pizza is just sauce and dough. Nothing special.

The latest crop of NY reviewers for NJ weren’t doing much for me. I stopped looking forward to the reviews years ago. Can’t say I’ll really miss them.

1 Like

So I know I said I wasn’t going to post anything else on this topic. But then I got the following email this morning:

"Seeking a weekend break from his campaign rallies; Donald Trump jetted to his yacht, which was docked off the coast of Italy. He invited Pope Francis and the press corps on board for a Saturday afternoon cruise. It was a rather windy day. The Pope’s little hat, his zucchetto, was blown from his head and into the water.

A crewman began lowering a boat to retrieve the zucchetto. Trump told the crewman not to bother. Trump climbed down the yacht’s ladder; walked across the waves, picked up the zucchetto; walked back to the yacht and handed it to the Pope. The Pope and the press corps were amazed!
Donald Trump could actually walk on water!

Speculation immediately began as to how ABC, CNN, NBC, ABC, The Washington Post and New York Times would report this miraculous event to the rest of the world.

The next morning the New York Times headline read . . . .

DONALD TRUMP CAN’T SWIM !!!"

1 Like

:grin:

so funny and so true of the press

Let’s make sure we stay on topic around NYT’s suspension of restaurant reviews. Non-food-related discussions should go to the Not About Food category. The bashing of NY related stuff between non-NY and NY folks is non-food-related.

Thank you.

3 Likes

What was wrong with Mister Bill’s thread?

All the content from mr B’s thread is still there in this thread if you scroll up.

The mods merged three threads into one.

Ah! Thanks.

De Nada…