New York Times suspends restaurant reviews in the suburbs...

I do not accept your definition, and you can’t make me.

So you mean to tell me that you actually don’t believe that Wells and the NY Times do not have the attitude that they are more intelligent or better than other people when it comes to judging food?

It’s not my definition, it’s Merriam Websters. I can find others if you like.

That’s okay. I don’t want to tax you.

And I will buy that, but it seems you are not precise in your use of words.

Merriam. (I won’t do this again, since it’s kind of a cheap shot. But indicative.)

1 Like

I don’t suppose you’ve ever heard of auto correct ?

Further please note that Wells uses the plural personal pronoun “we” in the first paragraph of the review to refer to himself, and then the singular personal pronoun “me” in the second.

My sixth grade grammar teacher would have given that a D.

No! What is that? Is it new? Where did you hear about it?

Gee. seems to me you are getting the hang of this condescension thing.

Again? Perception.

Again with the perception. Tedious. Bordering on odious.

I do not see this as a use of the “royal we” at all. I interpret the “we” as meaning the NY area dining community, and NYT readership.

1 Like

@VikingKaj @small_h Obviously the discussions between you have stopped being productive. I’d suggest that you stop engaging each other on this thread. And from the last two disagreements, I’d highly recommend that you do the same in other threads too.

2 Likes

Well either way it’s a little pretentious.

So let’s try to open this up again to others.

Does anybody else out there use the NY Times as a guide to determining where to eat?

It’s pretty clear from the foregoing that I am not a avid fan, but I would be interested to know what others think.

No, not as a guide as I disagree with them a lot. But I like to see what may be new and am curious what they think. And I like to see what they deem worth reviewing and worth the trip.

As of this weekend, the NY Times is no longer publishing regional restaurant reviews or any local arts coverage in the Sunday Metropolitan section. It turns out there is a post here in the “Food Media and News” board but I wanted to make sure that those in the affected areas are aware of it. Here’s the link to the other thread.

For those of us in Westchester, it means our only printed source for reviews will be Westchester Magazine, since The Journal News does not write impartial reviews, only fluff pieces about “restaurants we love”. I’m not sure if there is a Rockland equivalent and I’m fairly sure there is nothing in Putnam. Obviously this is very disappointing news. I guess sites like this will become even more valuable and maybe even gain a new audience.

That is sad. I wonder if they’ll still have online West. reviews? Otherwise, more people to put out of work and more money for the execs.

As you said, also more (hopefully) readership here.

Both the JN and WM are fluff pieces bought and paid for by the restaurants.

Then again, the ‘excellent’ for Agostino in New Rochelle by the NYT was quizzical. I usually depend on my best and final source for restaurant reviews - my own.

Which is a total joke. I liked reading the Times’ reviews, although did not agree with them a lot of the time.

1 Like