New Year's Eve and Day foods

Are there any foods that have become a tradition for you to prepare for New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day?

3 Likes

@Phoenikia, on New Year’s Eve, we typically make a bunch of different kinds of homemade pizza and celebrate at home, usually with sparkling wine or Prosecco too. New Year’s Day is nothing special, we just relax and eat leftovers or whatever we feel like. Maybe a Mimosa or Bloody Mary at some point.

If I do make a regular meal on NY’s Day, I like to serve black eyed peas, for good luck.

3 Likes

Not really a tradition, but oyster is a recurring theme.

Maybe an extension from Christmas, we don’t mind having more bûche de noel - Christmas log cake.

Traditionally, it looks like this:

New design each year from pastry chefs, fun to look at. Here are some of the 2019 designs.

Yann Brys

Yann Couvreur - Chilling Christmas
Fox is Yann Couvreur’s signature.

Les Jardins de la Volière for l’Auberge du Jeu de Paume

Yann Brys

François Perret - Le serpentin de chocolat

Jimmy Mornet - La bûche du Chef

Pascal Hainigue

Arnaud Larher - La forêt noire

Stéphane Arrête - Alice in the wonderland

Florence Lesage- Le Noël de Marie-Antoinette

Christophe Michalak - La bûche Violon

Ladurée - La Bûche Marie-Antoinette

Bryan Esposito - La bûche du Palais des Thés

Many designs are very far from the original form. Heard that Christmas season for a pastry shop is 50% of the whole year’s revenue.

7 Likes

Growing up my mother always insisted on serving (dry) roast pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes, a Midwest tradition with German roots. My siblings and I HATED it, and though I now like sauerkraut and can turn out a succulent pork roast with ease, I have NO interest in continuing this tradition. DH’s birthday is the day after anyway, so we usually save our celebration for the 2nd!

4 Likes

My mother always made black eyed peas.
I’ve still never liked them.
:slight_smile:

We had pork and sauerkraut too. I like it but don’t make it anymore either.

3 Likes

We always had cotechino with lentils (lentils meant to represent money or prosperity). Have not done that the last couple of years but need to get back to it, I love it!

6 Likes

Some Pennsylvanians and others with Central European roots also eat pork and sauerkraut for luck at the New Year. Kielbasa was a common addition.

Like you, I was not a fan—except of the sauerkraut. I always got in trouble as a kid because all I wanted was the sauerkraut. I still crave the stuff, however it’s served.

1 Like

Those are the most beautiful bûche de noel I have ever seen. A feast for the eyes!

4 Likes

What neat traditions!
The traditional NYE food in Quebec is Tourtiére This recipe is from a favourite restaurant in Montreal . I use a lighter crust , but the filling from APDC when I’ve made it. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/tourtiere-du-shack-380649
I live in Ontario, and I’m not French Canadian, so I didn’t grow up with the tradition. Might make it this year.

I’ve often made sticky buns on NYD.

2 Likes

@naf
Bûche de Nöel are also popular in Quebec, and seen fairly frequently in Ontario, but I’ve never seen such beautiful, upscale versions here. I’ll check my favourite pâtisserie in Montreal’s IG to see if they have any pretty ones!
From Patrice Pâtisserie in Montreal.
Screenshot_20191210-103012_Instagram|340x700 20191210_103538|448x700

4 Likes

AUGUSTCHOCOLATBLANCMARTINDIEZ1601139_878402465511834_8262797977258369957_n AAGIANLUCAFUSTORECTANGLE9fbf12c9bd12e802b3358cced5dea9ad

AATHOMASTWINLIMEGREENec8bd20d2ae47afb527eb5711c566c3a AUGUSTAUTUMNROSEPETALSBERGER57503812_1213879918786015_7750649590965075968_n augustBIANCOTGM84fecf470ee7af9c297d260daf7d13d4

2 Likes

PHOTO COPYRIGHT CREDITS ABOVE:

Chocolatier Martin Diez.
Pâsticiccerie Gianluca Fusto.
Le Atelier de Joël Robuchon.
Pistache: Pâtissier Thomas Trillion, Hong Kong.
The Restaurant Ossiano, The Palm Hotel, Dubai. Photographer: Pascal Étienne Lattes, ThurIès Gastronomie Magazine.
Cannollo: Giovanni.
Chocolatier et Pâtissier Yann Brys.

2 Likes

They are all beautiful works of art along with @naf previous pictures. I don’t know if I should eat them or display them :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Paryzer,

These are quite extraordinary as well as Naf´s too of course.

Absolutely remarkably outstanding dessert design art and amazing photography.

Thank you very much too …

2 Likes

:smile: Maybe we should start a thread a beautiful desserts!

2 Likes

They are all beautiful, indeed!

1 Like

Thanks! Lovely buches!!

Honestly those you see in the post above, they cost around ±100€, it’s not a budget that most people will want to spend on a cake for 6. But every year I enjoy looking at the new designs. Believe me, most of them we are eating are not that price, and they look quite good. Picard, a frozen food company quite affordable (less than 20€), the design is nice.

Also, it seems the new trend, it is related to the creation of complex mould. A bit less to the chef’s skill.

4 Likes

Definitely … a thread on Beautiful Desserts …

1 Like

My family makes rugelach bar cookies and Italian biscotti with pots of espresso and fresh fruit platters while watching home movie reels until nightfall.

The rugelach bar cookie is a genius timesaver and very tasty.

7 Likes

Depending on how much panettone I have hanging around, Panettone French Toast, fresh fruit and Mimosas.
https://www.google.com/search?q=panettone+french+toast&client=ms-android-americamovil-us&prmd=sivn&sxsrf=ACYBGNTJm2jr9cf9Nq6IBa_1rro8fhDuvA:1576063503606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwie7ZmKvq3mAhULUK0KHYbeD9QQ_AUoAnoECA8QAg&biw=360&bih=559&dpr=1.5

5 Likes