New to sous vide, new Anova circulator

I finally caved and bought a circulator. What would you make first? I eat a lot of chicken breasts and recently have been so busy I’ve been buying it cooked so that’s definitely priority number one for weekly meal prep. Any suggested first time uses? It’s pretty hot here so heavy meats not really of interest.

Is steak too heavy? That was the first thing I made sous vide. 54C or so for about an hour for a medium rare ribeye.

Maybe try a 64 degree egg:

or chicken thighs:

Steak is definitely in the list of options. The copycat Starbucks egg bites would make for a nice spin on the egg theme.

I have a friend who swears by the copycat Starbucks egg bites. As for other sous vide ideas, I love salmon sous vide - cook it to 110-115, then a quick sear to add color. Fabulous texture. I am not a fan of chicken breasts but I know many people who love them when sous vided. The major advantage for you is that you can do a lot of them at once, then just keep them in the fridge - they’ll keep a long time (since sous vide basically pasturizes them) and you can just sear and eat (or skip the searing if you are okay with the poached look/flavor).

I like sous vide pork shoulder as well, but perhaps that’s too heavy for your purposes? IMO sous vide handles big/tough cuts very well, but they may not be your favorite summer meals.

The egg bites are definitely up first and the chicken breast, and precooking and stashing in the fridge is the goal as otherwise it’s me wrangling multiple pots and poaching. Pork shoulder sounds great! I actually have some of the cooked Costco shoulder on the plan this week for lettuce wraps. Thanks for the ideas!

The egg bites are definitely up first and the chicken breast, and precooking and stashing in the fridge is the goal as otherwise it’s me wrangling multiple pots and poaching. Pork shoulder sounds great! I actually have some of the cooked Costco shoulder on the plan this week for lettuce wraps. Thanks for the ideas!

1 Like