New Shake Shack at The Westchester

While I like shake shack,I can’t help but wonder why they seem to lean towards captive audience locations - cross county shopping centre, now the Westchester. What the Wesstchester REALLY should have done is to get in n out burger to open an east coast location - now that would draw people in (LOL) - I know it could never happen.

That would have been great. There is a Shake Shack on Central Avenue in Hartsdale that doesn’t fit the captive audience theory!! :slight_smile:

I know it’s not all of them, but they seem to offer both as if not sure if they can compete as “just” a restaurant.

1 Like

FYI, I posted about this back in March when I was at the mall and saw the signage.

While Shake Shack has a reputation and loyal following, other restaurants could still do well there, except for one problem - for the most part, they are underwhelming. If the Westchester wants to make the food court an actual destination, they need to find a better selection of restaurants, without bringing in even higher price points for the food.

1 Like

I miss the City Limits Diner that used to be there. It was not in the food court, though, it was stand alone.

They brought in NYC places like Whitman’s, Mighty Quinn’s, Bluestone Lane and Melt Shop. I think that whole space is too out of the way, and charging for parking discourages people from driving over for lunch during the week. At one point they were offering free parking on weekdays if you spent $15 there, not sure if they still are, and $15 is more than one person would spend (at least what I would spend).

There’s always Zodiac (now Mariposa, I think) at Neiman Marcus, assuming it survives bankruptcy.

Nah, I think I’ll skip that one. They are open - to go only. Just checked.

Whitman’s - replaced by shake shack , Mighty Quinn’s - great reviews - mediocre food and pricey, Melt Shop - the “other” Melt shop on Mamaroneck Ave. blows this one out of the water. I’d like to find good places in the Westchester. Still a good destination in winter, and a place to walk and get some exercise. Just not expecting to find anything at this point.

good news/bad news
Shake shack is now open along with Melt and 1 or 2 other places in the food court. Despite being a high end mall, very depressing with so many places closed. Have the impression that this Shake shack won’t be turning them out quickly if it ever does get busy. Food places are also taking hold in the mall. Annies pretzels was already there along with mad donuts (not tried due to ridiculous prices) but I think Starbucks next to Annies is new (?). Either way, they hide it well, but about 1 in 6 stores is closed. Depressing and even x-mas music and decorations in some stores doesn’t help at the beginning of November.

Mad Donuts hasn’t been open since the pandemic hit and officially closed a couple of weeks ago. Yes they were expensive but their apple fritter was the best around. Had donuts a couple of times and wasn’t wowed. Peaceful Provisions (also expensive) is better. PP does not have a storefront, they take orders on Wednesdays at 5pm and then you need to pick up in Peekskill or Irvington on Friday, or Croton on Saturday. They’re vegan.

Just bring back Schultz’s (weekend only) donuts and cider (long gone from Armonk) and I’d be very happy . :smiley:

1 Like

Also, the Starbucks isn’t new, nor is Auntie Anne’s. They’ve both been there for a long time.

You and me both!! Salingers has good ones too, but Schultz’s was better!

I knew Aunt Annie’s had been there, it’s the Starbucks I was unsure of. And as a confirmed coca-cola drinker, coffee shops like Starbucks are under my radar.

Originally Schultz’s donut machine was to stay in Armonk at the route 22 restaurant that opened. Almost immediately (maybe immediately) the machine was used only when rented out (catered) parties ( I think). Either way Route 22 rarely (if ever) used it and they were supplanted by Zero Otto Nova a few years later. Wonder whatever became of that river of oil machine that turned out those donuts? I have a duck donuts near me, that concentrates more on the different flavours and icings but even with just cinnamon added, no comparison.

I had no idea Route 22 had that. There was nothing like a hot donut with cinnamon sugar!

Went to kneaded bread in Port Chester as Whole Foods has dropped the seeded jewish ryebread. I noticed that they had some donuts, so I bought two of the cinnamon/sugar ones - they were more (light) cakelike on the inside than Schultz’s but they had a nice (fried) crunch to the outside. Close to on a par (by long ago memory) ofSchultz’s and they were not hot (just out of the oil) like Schultz’s usually were but might be able to order a batch fresh or at least re-heat at home.

2 Likes