New Jersey Hot Dogs

Isn’t it great? Love that place.

I want to hit there with my son today, he needs to get home from LBI first!

Stopped by Dot and Dan for Mr. Johnny,. :smiley:

nice Sabretts with a tomatoey chili, no cinnamon etc if you don’t care for coney/texas weiner sauce. They use the Sabrett onions which I used to love, but now find too sweet. Always a nice summer stop.

eta: Atlantic HIghlands marina parking lot is the location.

1 Like

Your pic inspired me to cruise over to dans just now lol

1 Like

Was on Elizabeth Ave. today, and stopped by Tommy’s Italian Sausage for a dog with the works and a chili dog.

2 Likes

Matt Appelbaum, former co owner of Amazing Hot Dog, opened his own place in Springfield. Called Apple’s, it is primarily a deli, but they serve hot dogs. The only place serving the legendary Syd’s dog. Syd’s was a Luncheonette serving what many, myself included, considered the best hot dog in New Jersey. A long 5 to a pound natural casing all beef frank from Best Provisions that is boiled, then grilled. Apple’s is located where the Evergreen Deli was. The sign is still there.

2 Likes

An article and video for northjersey.com regarding hot dogs in Bergen and Passaic Counties.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.northjersey.com/story/life/food/2017/05/25/hot-dog-food-crawl-epicenter-hot-dog-universe-north-jersey/332833001/&ved=0ahUKEwit4r7n-MTUAhVBdz4KHUMGC3U4FBAWCCwwBQ&usg=AFQjCNH9o-e0gL9VIPwQiTTQj9c09z-Row&sig2=7j4jKla7mUttP5O1l2diJQ

My granddaughter. Already a hot dog lover.

5 Likes

Inspired by your hot dog dedication, I stopped by Tommy’s Italian Sausages.

1 Like

My favorite Italian Hot Dog

Took my 9 year old grandson to Max’s on Sunday after a Show at Monmouth U. He isn’t a Hot Dog fan, but I knew that had a pretty good Shrimp Basket that he would like.

Well, times have changed. They no longer have the Shrimp. He had Chicken instead and a Milkshake. Which he was OK with.

But, the bad news is that my Hot dog just wasn’t that good. I have always preferred the Windmill if I’m in that area, but did think that Max’s was OK. It sure wasn’t this time.

We were there around 5 and the place was practically empty.

Were the hot dogs like burnt shoe leather? That was my last experience there and I would never go back, although I have always preferred the Windmill myself.

I haven’t been to maxes in many years. I think windmill is putting out the best dogs around here.

1 Like

Agree Max’s was not good on my visit there. Depressing inside and way too much m Hey for what they delivered. Not like windmill is cheap but st least the food is good there

1 Like

When we moved down here just before Sandy I hit the Windmill for a dog & fries. All I recall was that everything was totally unsatisfactory. Is one location better than the others?

Just for reference - I was a Rutt’s bar guy when I was up north. It was like eating in a museum.

I’ve been to the one on Rt. 70 in Brick and I didn’t like it nearly as much as I have the one in Long Branch and or Red Bank.

After looking at Google maps it seems I tried the one at 586 Ocean Blvd
Long Branch. A disappointing dump in a rather horrendous location.

Wow…hahahahhahahaha that’s my favorite location!! Although I haven’t been there in a while it’s a legend in the area. Just a FYI not sure if you were aware but there is outdoor seating upstairs on the actual Windmill. Sorry you had such a disappointing experience, you definitely are going to be in the minority on this board. (I think)

No - I was unaware of the upstairs seating. As I recall the ‘windmill’ was under repair when I stopped.

Minority? That’s not unusual. Obviously my mileage varied.

The Windmill lost it’s blades during a storm so maybe you were there during the repair. Sitting on top is lots of fun.

1 Like