New items you’ve purchased at the grocery store

Picked up a bag of these at Costco the other day, just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. They are just sour cream and onion chips, but very good! More potato-ey (is that a word?) than normal chips. The back of the bag even bears the name of the worker who fried them.

002231832-1

7 Likes

Oh I got those once at this time of year and loved them! You’re right, very potato-ey!!

2 Likes

Re pork panko. I remember reading a Mexican meat ball recipe which called for “(ground) chicharones” to mix in the mince. This “pork panko” must be it then. Use it on something you want to have a crunchy exterior. Deep-fried (Scotch) eggs?

Those of us who don’t have it just grind some chicharones in a food processor. Below is my own, it doesn’t make it to the food processor…

5 Likes

I used to cook for a client when the paleo/keto phase was in its infancy. Instead of bread crumbs I used to pulverize pork rinds for things such as breading, in meatloaf, and meatballs.

6 Likes

New products?? I live in a small town, and our fairly new grocery store doesn’t even have enough old products! I still can’t buy thin sliced sandwich bread. If I want it, I have to make it myself. Argh.

3 Likes

Not sure if this will make you feel better, but thin-sliced sandwich bread is a rarity in most Canadian grocery stores. I can’t remember seeing it.

I could ask the bakery with a bread slicer to cut a loaf extra thin, I suppose.

The commercial loaf slices here are standard or Texas Toast thickness.

There is a British mail order shop not too far from us that has a small store front, with a wall of crisps. I usually grab something new to try when I’m there. Are these the prawns crisps?No photo description available.

4 Likes

These are the BOMB. Cape Cod also makes a version - totally addictive.

5 Likes

I made a big pot of green chile pork stew mid-week and discovered these cornbread toasties that I grabbed to go with it. There are 6 in a package, and only 2 of us - so if I make cornbread there is always too much of it and these really are good. I put 2 of them in the toaster each night to have with the stew…(although I’m not a fan of their English muffins - we prefer Bays).

6 Likes

Where did you find the pork panko? As a long-term low carber I use crushed pork rinds extensively in my cooking, but I just buy them whole and crush them in a food processor. Having them already crushed would be a great time saver! BTW, they make a great breading for all sorts of things, but IMO they work better in combination with other things (ground almonds, flax meal, Parmesan cheese, etc) than by themselves.

1 Like

Funny story: a few years ago DH and I went to the Modern in midtown MYC for my birthday. Multi-course menu with two or three choices for each course. DH, who does not really like fish, very confidently chose the John Dory for one course. Usually he asks me if he is unfamiliar with a food term, but in this case he seemed so sure that I thought “okay, he must be in the mood for fish!”

When that course arrived, he looked at his plate and whipered to me in a slightly horrified tone: “this is fish!” I replied “yes, what did you think you ordered?” Apparently he thought the name was cool and was therefore unconcerned about the actual contents of the dish. :rofl: Luckily he ended up enjoying it, because he was far too embarrassed to ask the waiter for a replacement!

11 Likes

It never occurred to me but crushing your own sounds like a great idea. Pork rinds/chicarrones became my new “potato chips”.

I got mine at a local market called “Nugget” in Northern California.

1 Like

I’d love to hear more about your pork rind expertise!

1 Like

Happy to share! I use them mostly for breading, in meatloaf/meatballs as a binding agent, and of course as a dipping substitute for chips. I have experimented quite a bit with them in combination with various other ingredients and “glues” as a breading - my current favorite option for making low-carb chicken nuggets is to coat the chicken pieces in well-seasoned mayonnaise mixed with an egg (about 1/2 c. mayo to one egg) and then coat in a mixture of crushed salt and vinegar pork rinds (2ish parts by volume), ground almonds (1 part by volume) and Parmesan cheese (1 part by volume). Queso flavored pork rinds are also excellent in this mix!

5 Likes

OMG, I haven’t thought of Toast-R-Cakes in YEARS! I loved them growing up!

6 Likes

I think I might be your husband. Also, great story!

2 Likes

I never met them before! They were tasty and convenient. I make cornbread, but for just two of us for two suppers I just can’t be bothered. I have a very hard time finding commercial bread products that I like, and we don’t eat much bread anyway.

3 Likes

New to me, from Sanagan’s Meat Locker in Kensington Market, Toronto

A Georgian spice blend

Chili crisp

3 Likes

Ha! I love the name Hakka-ish, if it’s referring to what I think it is referring to. Considering the alternate French descriptive text, I’ll assume this is a Canadian brand?

1 Like

Yep, it’s a smaller batch brand here in Canada.

3 Likes