New items you’ve purchased at the grocery store

I have an odd adoration for weird chip flavors. I will try almost any new flavor they bring out…with the exception of the cappuccino ones that Lays tried a few years ago. That’s a hard nope.

3 Likes

I like trying the Korean and Japanese chips. These ones are good.

I’ve lost interest in most new flavours of American and Canadian potato chips.

That said, I like Italian and German paprika chips.

Also, there’s a thing called Storm Chips in Canada, that are quite trendy. Comes from the idea of stocking up with chips before a big storm comes in, in the Maritimes. It’s a relatively new snack in Ontario.

4 types of chips, mixed together in one bag.
Covered Bridge (available at FarmBoy in Ontario) combines ketchup, dill pickle, BBQ and salt & vinegar.

2 Likes

I especially love prawn crisps in the UK, but I’d consider some serious misdeeds for parsnip chips…both of which are dismayingly hard to find here.

My UK business colleagues laughed out loud at my routine upon landing in the UK…grab a Red Bull and a Crunchie bar on the way to the rental car counter…then to Little Chef for breakfast* and off to my destination…and a bag of prawn crisps for the road.

*Little Chef was eventually replaced by the small shack at the back of the industrial estate where my colleages’ office was located…they made a stellar bacon bap with a giant mug of builder’s tea

3 Likes

I like the M&S prawn cocktail snacks a lot !(not the prawn potato crisps- which are ok)

My friend brought some champagne crisps topped with tiny sparkling stars from the UK, which she served at a Holiday party a few years ago.

Can you get Terra chips where you live? I think the mixture is beet, parsnip and sweet potato. I used to splurge on those 25 gears ago but haven’t bought them in ages.

If prawn crisp are similar to shrimp crisps they have them at Asian markets around the SF Bay area.

I don’t try a lot of new stuff since I have way too much stuff most of the time, but last week I bought “pork panko”. Container says “zero carbs”. I haven’t tried it yet.

ETA; I looked it up and remembered in the UK, crisps means what I think of as chips. Is that right?

LOL, those Storm Chips could become quite a thing in New England if they were here. Chips, bread, and milk typically fly off grocery shelves when people stock up before a snowstorm.

3 Likes

Count me in as someone who likes plain chips over all others. And plain potato chips over all other flavored ones though I’ll eat those if that’s what’s available. Funny how one’s taste buds can change even early on. Growing up in the NYC area it was always Wise Chips in our family despite being bombarded by Lay’s “Betcha can’t eat just one!” commercials. At some point in my late teens or possibly 20 I discovered that I preferred Lay’s. Nowadays as couple-three times a year guilty splurge I prefer Utz’s Dark Russet ones.

5 Likes

You beat me to it, @tomatotomato. The French Toast Alert System would need to add Storm Chips to their bread, milk, and eggs.

4 Likes

The texture is different among the Marks & Spencer Prawn Cocktail Shells, (which dissolve in your mouth the way a cheezie might), the colourful shrimp crackers you might find at an SE Asian restaurants, and the various prawn crispy snacks made in Asia.

The flavour in the M &S prawn cocktail snack is more tangy and less prawny.

I like trying the Asian ones,

but I crave the M&S ones.

These are the crisps (potato chips) They are pretty good.

2 Likes

I think some people in the Maritimes mix their own storm chips, combining their favourite flavours of chips in one big bowl.

2 Likes

The only thing new I can think I try regularly is cheese. I tell the cheese lady my beverage and she pairs a cheese with it.

My go to chip is this. However, when it comes to cheese - preserves and dried fruit go nicely too.

7 Likes

Both of these syrups have been deliciously fun to use sweet or savory.

6 Likes

Here’s what I bought. I have no idea how I will use it.

81SPqj1ZbUL.SX679

3 Likes

Interesting!

1 Like

Ok, that’s fascinating! What about using it as a crumb for panko-crusted baked or fried pork chops?

2 Likes

Could be good on popcorn

4 Likes

@LindaWhit , @Babette , all good ideas!

I’m also thinking crabcakes, assuming there are still some dungies around. Or maybe salt cod fritters. Or maybe chicken wings in an air fryer. I hate cleaning that thing.

I’m sure there’s a pay wall.

Since I’ve been paying for a very long time, I hope it’s okay to quote; "It holds nicely to whatever vehicle you’re applying it to and crisps up like nobody’s business.

Now that I’ve tried it, I’m curious to see what other crispy, porky concoctions I can come up with. How will pork-crusted mozzarella sticks hit me? What if I use them to bind pork meatballs? Maybe ham and cheese croquettes? Porky fried chicken?"

4 Likes

I bet those would be great in top of a tomato gratin. Or a potato gratin. Or Mac & Cheese

3 Likes

Yes!

1 Like

I’ve never looked up something I wanted to buy as fast as I just looked up Pork Panko.

3 Likes