New items you’ve purchased at the grocery store

I had a jar of it. A while ago. It was good! Instacart here shows 2 kinds from Batampte. - a plastic pouch (“kosher sauerkraut”) and a glass jar (“new kraut”).

Sometimes I wish Costco was not so easy to get to for me. I live in the middle of two each about 20 minutes away. It’s way too easy to stop by to pick up a couple of things and then walk out with a full cart.

I so enjoy hearing about your life in Japan. It is so different from mine in suburban NJ.

3 Likes

The glass jar sauerkraut is sweet. It is what I grew up on. It is crunchier than “hot dog” sauerkraut that is usually in a bag or canned. I am not sure what “kosher sauerkraut” is though I’d guess it was more like a traditional hot dog kraut. As far as I know they are both kosher certified.

1 Like

I can understand about the danger of living near certain stores! In college I lived behind an excellent Italian deli and spent too much money in there to buy prepared foods instead of cooking.

Regarding suburban NJ, when I was a child and we lived in NYC, I went to summer camp in the Mt. Freedom area of Randolph Township/Morristown at Saltz Hotel. It is there that I fell in love with my favorite flower, hydrangeas.

And thank you for the comment about my life in Japan…I miss it, how people respect each other and the safety (from crime) aspects.

5 Likes

You have to change the way you think about it. The way I see it, Costco has a minimum cover charge of $100, but they let me fill my cart. Our closest one takes less than 10 minutes to get to, but we can get to the next closest in just over 5 minutes (it’s only four miles up the freeway from us).

1 Like

I was at the store today looking for “sea salt caramel and Belgian chocolate” thinking it was ONE flavor and couldn’t find it. Now I read your comment again and realize that it’s TWO distinct flavors…OOPS! They had both, but I can’t afford both and it’s too hard to choose which one I should buy!

1 Like

My grandmother had beautiful blue hydrangeas under her kitchen windows. I was enchanted by them.

4 Likes

The blue ones are my favorites and I love watching them change color depending on the alkalinity of the soil. And they are indeed enchanting!

4 Likes

I tried this cheese. It tastes more grapey, as in grape juice or grape jelly, than Port.

Any ideas on how to eat it other than on bread, crackers or grilled cheese?

I also tried this. I like plain old Red Leicester better, but I like this more than the Port Derby!

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I think I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

It was new to me, too, when my daughter brought some home. I quite liked it.

1 Like

Good, even “great” news!

3 Likes

Not so much the coffee flavor, but I am reminded of discovering their layers.

1 Like

I bought them once and had so much trouble with the lid that I never bought them again.

1 Like

I bought a orechiette with porcini packet at a gourmet shop 18 months ago and I finally made it. I liked it more than most pasta or risotto packets.

The packet I purchased was orechiette with porcini, which is no longer manufactured. This should be similar, just a different shape of pasta.

Tiberino makes some other one-pot pasta packets and risotto packets.

This is neat.

2 Likes

I prefer cavatelli; will look out for it.

1 Like

I got to try another product I had read about for years while I lived in Japan…Tate’s Bake Shop Cookies. Normally I wouldn’t have thought to buy any as they seem expensive to me for store-bought cookies which I find can often be not so great. However, Albertson’s supermarkets (which also owns Safeway and Vons supermarkets) had them on sale for 2 bags for $5.00 with a digital coupon…too good of a deal to pass up. In fact, it was such a good deal that a cashier doubted me when I noticed the price hadn’t rung up correctly and she had to look it up in the weekly ad and hit the “pay now” button to get the correct price to appear.

I bought a bag of the chocolate chip cookies and a bag of the snickerdoodles (you HAD to buy 2 bags). The snickerdoodles are good, but the chocolate chip cookies are amazing and by far the best store-bought chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever had…and surprisingly only 70 calories each! Lower than expected calories or not, I am doing my best to eat them sparingly.

(Photos not mine but “borrowed” from the ‘net.)

8 Likes

They also make mini chocolate chip cookies. I agree that they are the best commercial ones I’ve ever had.

5 Likes

I saw those online and if I ever see them in a store for a reasonable price, I’ll pick a bag up!

1 Like

I bought a couple of cartons once. Left them out in baskets for folks. They didn’t last long!

2 Likes