New items you’ve purchased at the grocery store

See if you can get your hands on some Ba-tamte pickles. They are the only grocery store brand I think is worth a damn.

https://www.batamptepickle.com/

2 Likes

I’m familiar with them and also loved them like you do. Unfortunately they aren’t available out west here. I hope that changes one day, though.

I’m partial to Bubbies bread and butter pickles.

2 Likes

I’ve had both and prefer Grillo’s.

Come at me :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever had Grillo’s, so I’ll stay over here for the time being. But if they only sell pickle chips, I don’t trust them.

Nah, the chips are new. The spears are where it’s at. They have a spicy version, too, but - much as I like spicy foods, I don’t care for spicy pickles.

1 Like

They are fabulous. But you have to make sure the pickles in the jar are bright green. Because they are half-sours, they just keep on pickling until they become like Claussen’s. They are my complete favorites; alas they are on the NO-NO list because of the sodium. I get so tempted when I see them (lol) but I know I’d just empty the jar right away if I took them home.

For many years while living in Japan, I read umpteen raving reviews of Talenti gelato but couldn’t get any because it’s not available there. I avoided the temptation of buying some immediately upon return because of the price. But with it being on sale from the regular $6.49 down to $3.99 and an additional $1.00 off with a digital coupon, I bought a pint of Coffee Chocolate Chip for just $2.99 at Smith’s, part of the Kroger empire.

I’m a coffee ice cream fiend and while I prefer coffee ice cream with nothing added to it, this is VERY good. I’m good about portion control and only had a few spoonfuls of it, too.

And sorry that I’m again not posting about a product which is not new to the marketplace, but to me.

6 Likes

Talenti is a very good brand, and posting what’s new to you is fine, IMO. It’s new to YOU and might be new to someone else who is reading along or might remind someone else “Oh yeah - I’ve not had that in years - I need to get some!”

7 Likes

Thank you for your kindness.

:pray::bowing_man::pray:

1 Like

It’s really good and I am a coffee ice cream lover!

2 Likes

I love their sea salt caramel and Belgian chocolate.

3 Likes

I’m glad I see there are other Hungry Onions who agree! :yum:

2 Likes

The sale is on until next Tuesday. If they have that flavor in stock, I’ll pick up a pint…thanks for the recommendation! :yum:

1 Like

AND they make a non dairy coffee version too!

cartwheels

1 Like

We love Grillo’s too. My local Costcos sell the traditional spears and have the best prices.

2 Likes

I’d love to go to Costco here again. Years ago I used to share a membership with a friend in Southern California, but my sister (whom I’m currently living with) isn’t a member, the closest location is quite far and walking in the store would be a struggle for my sister.

I do miss shopping there, though. There are Costco stores in Japan and you can use American membership cards there, too. But I lived on Japan’s 4th largest island of Shikoku which unfortunately is the only of Japan’s main islands without a Costco store. My last 2 years of life in Japan were spent in the city of Shizuoka where the closest store was at least an hour away by car in Hamamatsu. Friends would go there and make a family event out of it and spend a half a day or so in the area.

1 Like

I love the sauerkraut made by Batampe, but I haven’t seen any in ages. PNW.

1 Like

Oh, I will look for it! I love sauerkraut.

Same. I would regularly eat it right out of the jar.